HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
HELP! All ladies of a 'certain age'-please respond

This topic contains 7,289 replies, has 660 voices, and was last updated by  Opal Shine 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,301 through 3,350 (of 7,330 total)

• Ah Boo, I think they do flounder around not quite understanding, but I have to say, my husband is so good especially re the ever continuing saga of the duvet flapping episodes he puts up with, and the drippy sheets…And the itching – yikes. (Only realised a couple of months ago that Piriton stops the itching and, an awful lot of the flapping like an old duck – helps me sleep too, whcih is a big bonus – yay)

You’ve made me feel sorry for him now! 🙂 He’s doing this diet with me – he’s got very heavy, needs to lose 4 stone, so we’ll be souls in sympathy. Can’t quite make up my mind whether that’s going to be fun or not!

Tiger x x

Welcome Tiger – I loved your comment about your mum – no matter how old we get our mums still tell us how it is. I lost mine some years ago but still laugh at some of her comments, particularly about what I was wearing. As she grew older she became more outrageous but always with a great wit. I hope I shall carry on her tradition, although I try not to be too ‘critical’ with my daughter and grandaughters.
    Well done on quitting cigarettes; what with that and now doing the FD you will soon be super healthy!

Femme – thank you. Mums, eh? lol

Your mum sounds very much like mine – it’s lovely that you have special, funny memories of her. My mum is still somewhat outrageous, but funny (mostly) with it, although I am having trouble with something she told ‘my’ decorator yesterday. He’s decorating her little bungalow and has been sorting me out (decorating and odd jobs) for about 4 years. Of course we are friends now, but… She was telling him how close we are and how we’ve always been such good friends. Right – that’s fine. I didn’t mind that, but then, then she told him when I lost my virginity, and how much my confession had made her laugh all those years ago. Now, honestly, I couldn’t believe that! Blimey! that was enough to make me reach for a cream bun…and I don’t like cream buns!

Hey-ho…I hope I don’t get too much like her in my dotage…

Wow Tiger! Your mother sounds a right scream! LOL!

What will she say next?

Booxx

Boo

In order to keep this thread ‘clean’ I simply can’t tell you what she said last week at her birthday lunch here with my husband and son. Golly, I am broad minded, I really am, but I somehow thought erm, wrongly perhaps now, that Ann Summers was not really aimed at 80 somethings. Goodness, how wrong was I. And very, very red faced. My 26 year old son almost choked and thought his Nan was a hoot. I had one of the hottest flushes I have EVER had. 🙂 lol oh dear.

Chatting with you has been a great distraction for the rumbling tummy today – so thank you for the very warm welcome and making me feel, already, like I’m part of the gang.

Tiger
    x x

Morning Precious, welcome tiger
    e-cigs? Don’t go there, Precious. Nasty dangerous things. Inhaling chemicals instead of tobacco fumes. Stick to a healthy lifetyle. PVE

Hi Tiger,

You sound like a lot of fun. After about 10 attempts I finally managed to give up the ciggies and I’m now in my 13th fag-free year. The e-cigs hadn’t yet been invented but I got by with nicotine patches (even though they brought me out in bumps and I had to smother myself with calamine lotion) and a little toy ceramic cigarette to wave about.

I’d been a silly smoker, perhaps getting through a pack a day but only taking a few puffs before just waving it about. I think it was the waving about I missed most. As a smoker I never coughed or had breathing difficulties so I sometimes wondered why I was bothering. Plus giving up made it harder to lose weight, although I was very, very careful not to replace cigs with food.

It does get easier, but after all these years there is still the odd moment when I’d kill for one. It’s easier now that smoking has been banned in most restaurants. There were times, when people at the next table lit up I was tempted to ask if they can spare one.

I’ve sworn never to become a health Nazi and if a very rare smoker – the only one I know at is my step-son-in-law – comes to us, I allot a smoking area, somewhere nice and comfortable, light a couple of candles and keep them company while they puff away – at last I’m never tempted to join them.

Finally, I’ve had another scroll through the LOACA recipes and now have 17 pages of them. Thanks to PVE, LUVTCOOK, Ali and others for some great ideas.

Hi Tiger

I notice you talking about itching. In a strange way, I first noticed how bad sugar was for me during menopause. I used to have a hot flush after eating sugar and to get itchy legs. They both almost went away when I eliminated all forms of sugar. Maybe just me.

I would have loved to be around your Mum. Mine is still going at almost 93. She has begun to speak her mind more freely. B 🙂

Good morning LOACAs everywhere.

Hi Tiger, your story about your mum made me laugh. Mine died when I was in my teens but my aunt lived to 94 and became very forthright from her 80s on – my uncle commented that she ‘swears like a trooper, I didn’t know she knew such words’. Fortunately she didn’t know me well enough to ‘share’ with anyone. 😉

Hi Mirjam, regarding exercise, don’t worry too much if you don’t feel like it. As you lose weight you will probably feel ‘lighter’ mentally (my interpretation) and moving more will become easier. I’m lucky in that I had always been active until osteoarthritis slowed me down. Now I do a weekly Hatha yoga session and weight training with a PT. I also try to fit in 2 HIIT sessions at home but not always in the mood.

Hi hermaj, how’s the arty-farty Brazilian art critic adventure going? Keep nibbling away at him.

Hi Bay, well done on size 12 bathers/swimmers/togs or whatever. Interesting that in Oz we all essentially speak the same language but it’s the names for things that give our origins away. Having lived in 3 states and 1 territory and now back home, I can finally relax about what I call stuff so people will understand.

Fasting today so as always this site is my strength and inspiration. Thanks everyone!

Purple I did see your portobello entry….looks devine. On my to do list.

JIP: congratulations on your 3 Year Goal Anniversary. I have always managed to lose weight when I set my mind to it but have been a dismal failure at maintenance. You deserve a round of applause and one of the Mighty BooBoo awards for that one. I think maintenance is even harder than losing…..don’t get the nice instant reward seeing the pounds drop off. I am reaching out across the pond to pat you on the back. Feel that? Good. Job well done.

Jackie T: you are so very welcome….hope some of the recipes many of us are posting fill the bill for someone. An no offense on misspelling the name….spelling is not one of my strong points so I am entirely sympathetic.

Welcome Tiger. This group loves a gal with a sense of humor and tells a good story. So glad to have you join us. You have a terrific perspective on life….thanks for sharing. I am ending my day with a good laugh thanks to you.

Hey bayleafoz

I’ve just been reading the ‘recent posts’ list and I saw you telling the maintenance thread that you always lost at least a kg a week when you were FDing; Wow you are lucky.

You MUST have a really good metabolism in tip top working order to lose consistently at that rate; I do envy you.

I would like to hazard a guess that you have had a fairly easy going menopause?

I left you not one but two posts yesterday; did you see them?

Booxx

Thank you again everyone for the warm welcome and I’m chuffed that some of you smiled re my mum’s antics! She is a trooper and says, believe it or not, that she reckons she had an easier menomadness than me because she only had breast cancer to cope with! And cope she did. She had a mastectomy way back in the early mid 80’s and thankfully that was it for her. She has asthma and diabetes type 2 now, but she reckons what keeps her so healthy and ‘up and at it’ is her fags, her whisky and her telly…lol

Oh and btw I had a fab day yesterday on my first fast and this morning feel so energised. Perhaps it’s all in my head, but my 4 mile walk with my ‘Tiger’ seemed a lot easier. Onwards and upwards. YAY!

Cheers everyone 🙂
    Tiger. x

Bayleafoz

Thank you for mentioning the sugar and itching. I’ll keep a check on that, cos it’s more than embarrassing having to scratch bits in public that should not be scratched in public 🙂 I seem to have a real problem with my buttocks and that’s not nice, is it? Also, and I don’t understand this, if one buttock itches, then so does the other. Happens with arms and legs too. Weird.

Tiger
    x

Hi Boo

I did have a fairly easy menopause. I gave up all sugar, most alcohol, and all wheat. That seemed to take away most of my symptoms. I stayed very active with lots of cycling and walking.

I didn’t see your posts to me yesterday. I will look for them. B

Hi bayleaf

Did you give up those foods/drinks BEFORE your menopause started?
    Was it that obvious? My menopause just merged from my nightmare PMS…….

Do you mind if I ask; did you suffer from bad PMS or not?
    I’m going to hazard a guess again that you didn’t.

Booxx

Hey Tiger

Well done you for having a great start to your first FAST DIET DAY!

Most of us know someone, usually now much older, that can eat, drink, smoke whatever they like and ‘get away with it’ to a certain degree (though obviously your mum has had her fair share of serious illness; other much less fortunate people have been carried off by them and she has health issues now admittedly).

My theory which is supported by many of the health books I have read; is that your mum’s generation is much healthier than our generation to start with because they did not have processed foods to eat when they were growing up and they didn’t usually consume as much alcohol as most of our generation do nowadays. The food they cooked with was not genetically modified or manipulated etc so their constitutions are therefore just much more healthy than ours. Add to that not so many toxins generally in their lives; the chemicals they use to coat our sofas, carpets and mattresses etc are scary.

I have read, depressingly, that ‘westernised man’ is becoming more unhealthy with each successive generation…..because new borns are inheriting their parents not very healthy genes.

I typed out an article about Wheat Belly a while back; it is well worth you having a read of it. You may choose to do nothing about the information but you might….

We like to share information on this thread to try to give LOACA’s the choice of whether to adopt it or not.

Is the real ‘Tiger’ your dog?

ONwards and Downwards!
    (We say downwards because we want our weight to go in a downward direction!)
    Booxx

Re-previous post:

I should qualify that the toxins I have mentioned above are obviously in your mother’s enviroment too; but she and her generation have not been subjected to them for their ENTIRE life time.

Booxx

Hi Boo

When I was beginning FD, I kept a detailed diary of food, water and exercise. Weight and measurements. Months later I filled in the tracker and discovered I had big plateaus. At the time I was too happy rediscovering my shape to worry about how much weight loss was happening.

Because I have never paid for or enrolled in a diet in my life, I treated the 5:2 as an experiment. When I read Michael’s book, I thought that this would suit my personality. All or nothing!

So, to explain that for me to lose a kg a week, I did more than fast 5:2. I reduced my total intake of food very abruptly. To kick start the weight loss, I made some changes.

I had NO sugar, wheat, alcohol, cheese, or starchy foods such as rice, pasta, potatoes for the first four weeks. I ate only home made food. This was mostly fish or chicken with steamed green vegetables with lots of herbs and spices, eggs, salads. I trained myself not to snack or graze on any day of the week. I drank a lot of water and I learnt what proper portion control is. In that first four weeks I lost 7 kg.

Only after shrinking my stomach for those four weeks, did I venture to have a treat. I am appalled at the amount I used to eat. I still only have alcohol four times a week. I don’t eat wheat, and I minimise the amount of sugar. For example, a square of dark chocolate is now a huge treat.

During this whole time I made sure to walk or golf or garden, or clean the house, just to get some form of exercise each day.

I hope this goes some way to explain how I achieved my goal in six months. I realise others will look at such a regime with horror. To me it was a challenge and so rewarding to regain control over my eating. I now regard maintaining as far harder work than losing the weight. 🙂

We are all different. B 🙂

Hi,
    This may sound very funny, but I´m fasting second time and I really wonder why I don´t feel hungry 😉 Which ofcourse is good.
    Wonder have I´ve done something wrong..Had only coffee with alittle milk in the morning,at 11am I had youghurt with a banana.An hour ago had a carrot and two small slices of chicken.
    I´m going to have dinner around 7 pm.
    Does this all sound ok ?
    I´ve also had already 3 liters of water and feel good.
    Hope this letter doesn´t feel too “crazy”..:P
    Mirjam 🙂

Hi Boo

To answer your question. No, I didn’t have bad PMS after I worked out that sugar, fats and processed food were what was wrong with me. After I eliminated them from my food intake, most of my symptoms went away. Which is why I was ready to test this theory again when I was going through menopause.

I do not have a history of being overweight, but rather gained all my weight after the age of 50 when I continued to eat as if I still had my earlier more active lifestyle. B 🙂

Hi bayleaf

Thanks for your detailed response; it’s all information for ALL of us and we can choose whether or not to adopt some of your strategy.

Sorry to sound as if I’m being pedantic BUT how long would you say you endured PMS symptoms before you gave up all the baddies?
    I mean; are we talking donkeys years ago?

Have you located to two posts?! 🙂

Booxx

Hi lizzypopbottle

Sorry to be a while answering your post; we stayed at Whitley Bay again! I thought if you knew the North East coast you might have guessed it was Whitley because of all the riotous nightlife.

We absolutely adore the Northumberland coast (spent countless holidays up there either camping or staying in cottages) and would have stayed further up the coast but we needed to be closer to ‘town‘ for visiting family, friends, shopping etc.

Lucky you, living in Northumberland; whereabouts?

I thought I read that you were a bit disappointed with your progress so far but I must have muddled you up with someone else. Half a stone is a fantastic start and in only 3 weeks!

As with Cheeseplease; I too wouldn’t want to mess with you on a dark night!
    Funnily enough referring to your martial arts qualifications; we were just watching a programme on telly last night about Posh Nannies. It was about the Norland Nanny College in London which provides courses at £13k a year to teach the girls to be ‘the best’ nannies in the world purportedly.

I was delighted to see that an important part of their curriculum was to be taught how to protect themselves and their charges if they were attacked or someone tried to abduct the child (they can be nannies to some very A list folk – the nanny to our beautiful Prince George is one such).

How refreshing to see something eminently practical and totally relevant on any educational course; when you consider how much irrelevant guff we were taught at school/college/uni – that you would probably never use your life time. I remember learning how to calculate a ‘standard deviation’ and thinking when am I going to need to know how to do that? Now I can’t even remember what a standard deviation is! And yet, I bet, if someone had taught me how to protect myself from attack; I WOULD have remembered that!
    I rest my case….

Go Norland Nanny College I say!

Booxx

Hi Mirjam68

No, your post doesn’t sound crazy at all.

What you have consumed does sound okay; did you weigh the food and calculate the calories in it? Even count your milk etc in drinks.
    When you are a bit more used to the FD; you will probably want to leave longer periods of time between eating. This is when your body will go into ‘repair mode’ – this is when all the potential health improvements can occur. But you are only on your second fast so you are just finding how it affects you.

Have you read the 5:2 book; the above all makes so much more sense if you have read it.

Booxx

Hi Precious
    I completely back up Bayleaf re her regime for starting 5:2. We also lost a kg a week by doing it this way. The rewards were fast and significant and it totally changed our attitudes to what and how much and when we needed to eat. P 🙂

In the spirit of putting the information out there, I have compiled the following, not all inclusive! 🙂

Lessons I have learnt while on 5:2 Fast Diet. 🙂 🙂

Two meals a day contain enough food for me.
    Eating less gives me energy.
    Get some form of exercise each day, housework, gardening, whatever !
    Eating after 8 pm interferes with my sleep
    I sleep better with less food overall. My best sleep is after a fast day.

Never eat wheat, as it binds me up, even a tiny piece of a friend’s cake. Grr!
    Minimise all forms of sugar. Even today, 10 years after menopause, I still sweat mildly after eating sugar.
    Have 3 alcohol free days each week.

Eat lots of green vegetables and berries.
    Write down my measurements regularly, this motivates me more than weight.
    I will have to fast forever to maintain this new weight and size.
    I find fast days easier than nonfast days.

Totally personal, but happy experimenting with your body. B 🙂 🙂

Oh dear, I completely forgot the most important lessons. 🙂

Drink at least 2 litres of water every day. I really have to be mindful of this.
    Leave as long a time as possible between eating
    Do not nibble or graze on any day.

5:2 is a health program, not a weight loss program. The health benefits come from the fasting and time between eating. If you want weight loss, then you have to add extra to the basic 5:2.

Enjoy ! B 🙂

Hi LOACAs everywhere!

Bayleaf – what an excellent summation of the 5:2 way of life!

Had a great fast day yesterday, abt 50C below my allotted 450. Yummy hamburgers for dinner (will post recipe when calculations done) but this morning scales 800g up from yesterday! 🙁

Fasting again today so hope for a better result tomorrow morning.

Regarding the discussion about how much to drink, do please read Michael’s article ‘Losing weight and drinking water’ (link at top of page). It’s dangerous to drink too much water because you flush out vital electrolytes – there is such a thing as ‘water poisoning’.

Ow & Dw or Sw everyone!

Nicky xxx

Bonjour all you lovely LOACA – I missed my fast day yesterday as I was taking friends to see baby Lea and knew that treats would be around, and they were – lovely french chocolates, mmm! So today is a FD and I’ve just come back from a refreshing walk and now a cup of Redbush tea. If you have not tried Redbush (or Rooibos) it is delicious and as the name states it does have a red tint to it. You can drink it without milk and the best thing (apart from the taste) is that it’s decaffienated. I first heard of it when reading Alexander McCall Smith’s books about The No. 1 Lady Detective Agency set in Botswana.

On the subject of what and how much to drink each day I read Michael Mosley’s post:

“Drinking 2 litres of water a day will help you lose weight.
    This myth dates back to the 1940s when researchers calculated that 2 litres was how much water someone’s body used in 24 hours. However, the researchers also said (and this gets ignored) that we obtain much of the water we need each day from our food. Drinks such as coffee and tea also count, despite what many people believe”.

I heard him state this in a recent interview and he said there was nothing particularly magical about drinking water – you take it in your teas, coffees and particularly in the form of soup, which is more filling.

I must admit I’ve tried over the years drinking 1.5 to 2 litres of water per day and have always given up after a few days; I’d always thought that surely what I drink throughout the day also counts towards the 2 litres, and am pleased to see that it does!

You may recall I spent last week in Lake Como and when I came back I had put on 4 lbs (which actually wasn’t too bad for me and I had a lovely week enjoying cappuccinos, ice creams and proseccos!); well having done one FD on Monday I weighed myself this morning and am back to having lost 8 lbs – brilliant. So no great setback.

Better put the washing out x

Dear Ladies of a Certain Age,

This is my first day! and am excited about starting. I have put on 16kgs onto my medium framed short (5’2”) body so have a bit of a journey ahead.

Ariel

Hi everybody…hope you’re all in great form on this first day of August. I have had 2 fast days , each for 36 hours and just weighed….delighted that I’m now 17st 8 so have lost 4lbs this week. I’ve been very busy with the kids…..we live in the country, not on a bus route so I seem to be chauffeuring them a lot all week. Only 1 month left before I go back to work as a teacher and I hope to be down a stone by then. More importantly, have a lower BMI. I changed from having porridge for breakfast to Greek yoghurt+berries+a few walnuts, drank 2 l sparkling water and increased my fish intake ….all ideas leaned from these posts. From now on, I’m going to abstain from eating grains, dairy, processed food, sugar and salt….basically going back to basics.I have also reduced my calorie intake in my non fast days.

To anyone that has a problem with itching…..Organic extra virgin coconut oil is a natural product and it solves itches in all sorts of places. I don’t take tablets for anything and hope to stay clear of them going forward.

Jenny

Well done Jenny
    Sound as if you are well on the way to a new healthy lifestyle. You’ll need it back at teaching. 😉 P

Go for it Ariel. Read as much as you can, knowledge is power 🙂 PVE

Hi everyone! Well..I have been lurking for the last few weeks and ready to take the plunge and introduce myself as well as get to know you all! I’m a Canadian and came across this whole way of life quite by accident. I’ve always thought fasting wasn’t for me as I love food far too much but something kept nagging at me. Then I found the Horizon documentary and learned about all the health benefits. Now I have a family history of Alzheimers as well as heart disease so this captured even more interest! Then I started reading the boards and just love how supportive everyone is so I’m ready to jump in and start embracing this lifestyle! I did fast a few days in July as a trial and it honestly wasn’t too bad at all. I did notice how thirsty I got and drank an amazing amount of water. Unfortunately and maybe this is totally in my mind, but the day after both times I was very hungry and went well over my TDEE! My ultimate goal is to stay healthy as I age and protect my heart and brain plus lose the extra 20 lbs that I have gained in the last 2 years. I love the idea that weight loss is a wonderful benefit of this plan! I’m looking forward to getting to know you all!!

Hi Newme and welcome!

I joined this week and have been amazed by the camaraderie there is on here and how easily us newbies are accepted into the fold. Everyone on here appears to be a jolly good sort 🙂 I downloaded the myfitnesspal app – I believe was recommended on here by someone and it’s proving to be a great help, esepcially with calorie counting and learning how much energy is spent whilst excercising. It’s also helped with meal planning and has stopped the faffing about with a book (or two) to find out whats what. I’ve got about 20 lb to lose too, but like you am looking forward to the health benefits as well, although getting rid of my little footballers thighs is a huge incentive to lose the weight. Hate chunky thighs! (Oh but having a heaving bosom for the first time in my life is rather spiffing – but I expect that will go first… 🙁 )

Wishing you loads of luck and as they say on here, (I got it wrong the last time 🙂 ) Onwards and downwards!

Tiger
    x

Hello Boo,

Yes I totally agree with everything you say about our parents generation. Unfortunately the more technology and science has moved on to bring rewards, we appear to neglect our own bodies and well being. I have an old wartime cookery book and when you learn what they had to consume and how little and how they all survived it does make you wonder about the old saying, ‘you can have too much of a good thing.’

Weird thing is, though how some people, like my dad who was fit healthy (he used to walk miles as he was in the police and a beat copper for a very long time, till he got promoted to the bicycle!) – did not drink, smoke over indulge in anything, had strokes and then dementia and parkinsons. I don’t suppose anyone will ever figure that out except to say probably it’s genetic?

Hey ho.

Onwards and Downwards 🙂

Tiger

Oh and yes, my girly’s name is Tigerlilly and she’s a gorgeous Airedale Terrier – the light of my life and boy, is she enjoying her extra walks. She’s lost a little weight too, which is great. But she’s not fasting… 🙂 I have knocked some of her treats on the head though, and lessened the amout of food she’s having, so that hopefully her hips won’t go either! This breed is prone to hip displaysia if they get a bit chubby.

Hello Ladies

Back from another trip to Wales, where we now have a lovely comfy bed and a washing machine which has yet to be plumbed in. We haven’t yet got around to organising any internet, and the GPRS signal there is very now-you-see-it-now-you-don’t, and is so slow!

So much to catch up on here. Thanks for the sympathetic comments about my bite – no BooBoo they didn’t seem to know what it was and it is much better now, but whatever it was has Welsh cousins because I now have similar on my arm and leg. Fortunately I am still taking the antibiotics so they haven’t become so infected, just a bit swollen and very itchy. I think the only answer this weather is to wear a burka!

Hello to all our new joiners – hope all is going well, and look forward to hearing about your progress. I missed a fast day this week, and was a bit too lax with the wine, as well as having a lovely steak meal in a local pub complete with onion rings. Gorgeous! I daren’t get on the scales so am doing a back2back fast. Yesterday I just had a boiled egg for breakfast and a prawn stir-fry with Zero Noodles for dinner. Today it was another boiled egg and a tuna salad tonight. Fingers crossed for the weigh-in tomorrow.

By the way BooBoo and anyone else interested, they also sell them in Boots at £1.99 – cheaper than Holland & Barrett.

Tiger – my 88 year old Mum went to the same School Of Crass Tactlessness as your Mum and Nicky F’s aunt! I once mentioned to her that her GP was nice looking and on her next visit told him her daughter thought he was very dishy! As I now often have to go with her to her appointments, I always feel myself blushing horribly.

Hermaj – I do admire your many achievements. When I decided to study for my law exams in my mid-twenties, it was without any support from my then husband. I did part by correspondence and for nearly two years I would come home from work, cook a meal, do two hours’ study, then have the washing up to do. It was part of the reason I eventually divorced him. I’m sure you’re relationship is much more solid at this time of life, but it is so galling when the other half isn’t behind you in striving for personal goals. As you say, he’s more than happy to benefit from the financial rewards. Mine certainly missed out big time!

I’m also with you on attitude and outlook being one of the main issues of ‘staying young’, and yes, we have a lovely circle of friends of all ages.

Femme Anglaise – your week by the lake sounds wonderful. And those admiring glances! What a terrific boost to the ego. I was interested to hear about the Redbush tea. I’ve often wondered what it tastes like. I love the No1 Ladies Detective Agency books. They made a tv series a few years ago but I think there was a political problem which prevented any more being filmed in Botswana. Pity.

Sorry PVE, I won’t be stopping having my hair coloured any time soon – especially if George Clooney is looming on the horizon! Well done though on the loss of all those inches! You must feel great buzzing around in that open top car.

Wilbersnanna – congratulations on having to buy a smaller size! Isn’t it a great feeling when that happens? I’ve just tried on some trousers which I have never worn (forgot I even had them, but I apparently bought them in an M & S sale) and they fit a treat. It spurred me on to try on some other clothes I haven’t been able to wear in so while, and I was very pleasantly surprised! I hope you gave a great anniversary and that your bite has healed.

JIP – 3 years of maintaining! That’s fantastic and something I have never been anywhere near achieving. Have you managed to maintain on any other diets in the past? If not, then it says it all for the 5:2 as being the one to be on. I hope I have the same result – eventually! Long way to go yet though.

Sorry to have prattled on, but there was so much to catch up on. I’ve still only just skimmed through the recent posts, but I shall be in one place for the next week or so, so will be able to log on more often.

Night all and g’day Down Under

Smiffy x

Hi Smiffy,

It must have been so difficult to do a law degree and all the chores, with no help from a male chauvinist man. Well done you for succeeding. In that respect I’ve been lucky. Hubby Mark 1 was supportive while I did my BA – despite one older guy of our acquaintance asking in all seriousness who would cook hubby’s dinner if I was studying.

In practical terms, Mark 2 has, despite the grumpiness, always helped with the techie side of my various assignments, visuals, layout, etc, as well as proof-reading. As for believing in my capabilites, only a few weeks ago he advised me, would you believe, not to dismiss the idea of a PhD!! I haven’t, at least not altogether, but on the advice of the lovely lady who supervised my MA reserrch project – designed to demonstrate our research skills – last year, I’m first going to rework my research report into a book for a general readership based on my research into how a tenement flat in Glasgow became a National Trust for Scotland property. It’s a thumping good story.

I realise now my husband’s negativity was less about me than about him. At the time, his computer programming work had dried up as clients, including a government ministry, sent their stuff off-shore. He was understandably demoralised. But then he started going to Tai Chi/Qi Gong classes where he was “talent-spotted” by the tutor and within weeks was helping her out by supervising the beginners. He has recently qualified to teach in the Life Long Learning sector, including for public sector organisations like the NHS, and is working towards qualification as a Tai Chi/Qi Gong instructor. Plus he has a couple of regular gigs – one of them a job-share with his tutor – and now he’s got his “serstificate” he can apply for more.

Sorry to hear about your bites, hope you’ll soon be over the worst. Suffice to say I know all about the wee buggers. We must both be sweet and tasty. I understand it’s the females who do all the biting. Very unsisterly!

G’day Smiffy
    I’m sure you look gorgeous, whatever you do with your hair 😉 P

Bonjour everybody – thought I would give some encouragement to the newbies. I’ve just done my 11th FD and when I weighed this morning I have lost in total 10 LBS! Averaging 2 lbs per week – that is amazing for me; so we can all do it, no excuses.
    Amongst that I also had a week at Lake Como where I indulged in pastas, pizzas, ice creams and proseccos, and just went back onto the FD when I came home.

The FD definitely does work without feeling deprived. Stick within your TDEE on non-FD days (eating what you enjoy) and the weight will come off!

Enjoy the weekend and have a few treats

Femme Anglaise again – just been thinking about we ‘ladies of a certain age’ and how we put many symptoms down to the peri-menopause/menopause. That’s just what I did – at the age of 59 I moved to France and over the next two years put on 2 stones – I put this down to new tempting foods and the menopause.

Then my excellent GP (the french health system is so thorough) did a full blood count and I was found to have a defunct thyroid gland (the gland that regulates our metabolism and many other functions)- Hashimoto’s Disease – and was immediately put on tablets. It took almost a year to get my readings within the normal range, and since starting on the FD the weight is at last coming off – hoorah!!!!!

So if you have any queries about any symptom get it checked – I had probably been without my thyroid functioning for 3 years – I had so many symptoms, but as I say I just assumed it was the menopause; I was so wrong.

Hello Ladies,
    Please tell me ( I haven´t yet read the book ) can I have snacks in between the meals on days when I don´t fast ?
    Would be very happy for a quick answer 🙂
    Have a great Saturday !!
    -Mirjam

Hi Mirjam
    There are no rules, but the research appears to show that it is better for your health, if you can train yourself not to snack between meals. B 🙂

Thankyou Bayleafoz fore your quick answer !
    That´s what I thought -no snacks in between.
    And on I go 😉

Hello All Ladies Of A Certain Age!

Just a very quick post to say

Welcome to the Fast Diet Forum and this thread to newme@50 (that’s a great name – It’s all in the title!) and Ariel.

I couldn’t recommend more to take the time to read Micheal’s book; it only costs a few pounds and will make sense of a lot of things we refer to on this thread. Also, it will seriously motivate you to get started and stay with this WOE (way of eating).

Of course, coming on here and getting to ‘know’ people and their FD stories will do also add to that in a big way.

ONwards and Downwards!
    Booxx

Hey JIP!

Where are you? Stuck up a mountain somewhere with your Nordic stick stuck in a rabbit hole? Or are you just bowling for England again? Or should I say Wales?…..

When this month is your three year anniversary of getting to GOAL weight at WW?

Booxx

On the advice of Precious BooBoo and other LOACA have just bought The Fast Diet from Amazon for 1p – what a bargain – can’t wait for it to arrive
    FAx

Hi all

I couldn’t wait to get on here! Got on the scales this morning after not weighing for 10 days and have lost 2 lbs! This brings me to a total loss of a stone and a half – BooBoo, I’ve exceeded the 20lbs mark!

I really can’t quite believe it! OH has lost the same amount by default, so we are very happy bunnies.

As Femme Anglaise says, stick at it Newbies, it can be done, but do read the book.

Hermaj – I think you are fantastic with all you are doing. The potential book sounds fascinating and if you continue with the PhD, what a wonderful addition to your other achievements. Great news about your husband too after a period of bad luck. My second (late) husband was very supportive of my ambitions, and in later years never complained if I worked late or brought work home. He would always relieve me of the domestic burdens so that I could concentrate properly. My present partner is, I have to say, absolutely wonderful and for several years put up with an awful lot before I retired 6 years ago. He was already retired but amongst other things got up at 5.45 every morning to get my breakfast and cooked the evening meal. When I then took up floristry after I retired from the law, he was again very supportive, and has even wound bear grass and calla lilies into goldfish bowls for reception tables while I have been making up bouquets!

Femme Anglaise – that’s brilliant. Thank goodness your French GP was interested enough to sort out your thyroid problem. Unfortunately here, unless you’re lucky, you all too often get fobbed off.

Thanks PVE! I’ve been told I scrub up well, but it’s a brave man who puts up with seeing me first thing in the morning!

Have a great weekend ladies. I suspect not many will be fasting, but if you are, good luck. We’re going to friends for a meal tonight – I think we can afford to let our hair down a bit!

Smiffy x

Viewing 50 posts - 3,301 through 3,350 (of 7,330 total)

You must be logged in to reply.