Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,901 through 2,950 (of 28,011 total)

• Thanks for sharing BigDad! I really appreciated your story too! 🙂

Have just added 3 of my fav recipes onto the ANZAC Recipe thread. I had posted them on the LOACA Recipe thread months ago, but thought some of the “locals” might like them. Happy fasting P

Love the look of those recipes Purple Vegie Eater, can’t wait to try them!

It is Day 1 for me and so far so good! I can’t start my day without toast and vegemite, even a fasting day, so after juice of half a lemon, I had just 1 slice of flaxseed sourdough with a tiny scrape of butter and vegemite, then black tea. It is now 2pm and after a walk with my son, I have had 2 strawberries and 1 apple, plus a few glasses of water. The hard part I am discovering is working out just how many calories I am having. Is there a device out there that can help?

As my husband is overseas, I only have to worry about what to feed me tonight. I like the sound of the smoked trout salad, but might make it with salmon as I have that in the fridge. I plan to have Monday and Thursday as my fasting day. Occasionally I might have to change a day as Thursday is my tennis day and sometimes we have a birthday lunch to celebrate. But one of the things I like about the 5.2 is the flexibility to work around your own lifestyle. I’m excited to begin this new adventure and although I only need to lose about 5 kl, my doctor has been wanting to put me on statins for high cholesterol and I do not want to take those. Hopefully this program will fix this!

Hi Katey and welcome to the 5:2 family.
    The quickest way is to simply Google “calories in ….”.
    You will learn which foods are wise, low cal, but filling choices.
    Your fish and salad tonight is a great example.
    Try having an omolette for breakfast instead of bread, they seem to sustain better (protein). Blueberries and strawberries, mushrooms and salads are good choices. Avoid bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, flour, sugar, alcohol on fast days, at least initially. Fill up on lean protein (eggs, fish, turkey) and leafy greens. Keep up the flavour and variety of texture. No need to not enjoy what you eat.
    All the best. PVE

Hi everyone

Wow BKD! Thanks for sharing, how brave of you but congratulations on beating your demons and for avoiding saddling your lovely children with the same issues.

Jenklar, like you I could win the gold at the sleep Olympics on FDs. I too would have laid down and died of starvation. Bring on the grapes please Purple, but not on FDs thanks 🙂

Nearly the end of the Monday fast for me and Tuesday fasting is waiting, if not exactly beckoning. However I know it suits my life better than any other arrangement so I just do it, as they say in the classics. Yoga at lunchtime is a great way to take my mind off food, even if my stomach did rumble today during Warrior II.

Happy what’s left of Monday and keep up the good work. N.

LOL Bigdad and hi to PVE, MM and many others.

Day “I’ve been doing this long enough that I’ve lost count” for me. Still only a few weeks in but I’ve lost a few kg and it’s going OK.

At the moment I’m having a big fast day problem with the afternoon lull (AKA chocolate o’clock in my old job). I eat breakfast at about 7.30am and I don’t get hungry till after 6pm. However, I’m getting really sleepy in the afternoons at around 3pm, especially if I’ve been for a walk outside at lunchtime. Coffee helps but I still feel a slump of energy, and I can’t exactly have a power nap at my desk. Any suggestions Oh Wise People?

Have an apple Moulin…I’ve just had one. Bucks you up and exercises your jaw. Only 80 cal and takes ages to eat. P

Hi, a cup of miso soup with each sachet being around 28 calories will help,
    or maybe a juicy raw carrot to fill you up and get you to chew for ages, making you feel like you’ve eaten heaps….also get up and stretch, splash some cold water on your face and take some slow deep cleansing breaths.
    Put on some fast paced music and do a silly dance,
    run on the spot or up and down the stairs.

To help your posture, which starts to slump by the end of the day, focus on your thumbs and turn them out, away from your body….this will get your shoulders to move down….away from your ears, put your head slightly up instead of down, and open your chest up, so you can breathe better. Your spine will come back into more balanced alignment too!
    Try it! “Thumbs out” is a simple and effective tool, free to be used anytime, anywhere, standing, lying, walking or sitting. See if your energy and focus is improved once you try it….I bet it does!

Keep up the great work, remember tomorrow you can eat normally.

Hi everyone, I’m in Melbourne Australia. I too am doing Mondays and Thursdays for my fast days. Today is my first day and I started with a fast. Ok so far. But I do get snacky late evening so it’s going to be a challenge 🙂

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice! Day 1 is nearly over and I’m doing well! Just about to enjoy a salmon salad and make myself some notes on what I have eaten today. Sydney has been very hot today but I’ve managed two walks and water is great when you are feeling hungry.

Well done Katey. It was hot. ..more tomorrow apparently. .39!!! P

Hello all. My 2nd week today and last week went well. Lost about 2k. Put a bit back on after wines on the weekend though unfortunately! Today I decided to try a different tactic for my fast day. I’ve been having 100 cals for breakfast, 150 for lunch and 250 for dinner. I thought it might be better for weight loss not to eat till 1pm, so had 150 cals at 1pm and skipped Brekky, but then almost couldn’t make it till dinner time? Got so tired and really struggled compared to last week when I spread out the calories. Is there a much bigger benefit in fasting till 1pm or is spreading out the calories just as good? Not sure why it was so much harder for me?

Hi Summerannie
    It takes time for your body to adjust to new eating regimes. Be kind to yourself. Experiment. Each fast day will be different, but don’t push too quickly. Start with your initial system (3 meals) and drop breakfast at some time in the future when you just don’t feel like eating it. It will happen. All the best, you’ve started a new life journey. PVE

Thank you so much PVE, you are a lifesaver, was feeling a bit low. I was so positive last week and felt so sad today when I thought I was failing. It’s amazing how we can feel so differently from day to day. I’ll have another go on Thursday doing 3 small meals, and hopefully all will go more smoothly! Thanks again!

Go girl! Sleep well tonight Summerannie. P

Thank you! It’s lovely to have support!

Hello, I am new here.. I have been reading posts and it all sounds pretty positive. I have never been on a diet as such (Couldnt handle the discipline) I have always been pretty health conscience but that flew out the window. Im now gaining a lot. I work a physical job and can work 6 days if needed. The energy requirement can be difficult to guage.

Good to know that I have the support available already.

Hi to all the Newbies and the older fasters,
    It is great to read everyone’s stories (both funny and not so much.
    It is good to know that we aren’t in this alone.
    Yes I think you should go into writing Big Dad, your posts are both informative and funny. You put a real spin on life. Well done you should be very proud of yourself and you sound like a wonderful father.

PVE and IHAW and others are wonderful in their supportive ways.

I have added a bircher muesli recipe to the Anzac thread. I finally found it.

My first fast day is coming to an end, I always look forward to my muesli on Tuesday and Fridays.
    night all.
    Jane

Hello Summerannie,
    Its ok. I have heard about this diet for a while now (Saw the first program that Michael Mosley did to prove the research) I have tried and failed so many times. My last attempt had me clearing out the kitchen, Throwing out most of my food from fridge, freezer and cupboard. I went out and bought multivitamins. My energy levels have improved a little, I guess.
    Ive done fasting before but never for diet or health.. (Too much pressure..!) The word diet stops me in my tracks but I will keep trying. Maybe, keep distracted or think about the long term benefit.
    I think the next time I do this fasting, my place may be spotless again. I have a day off from work on Friday. I will get into both.

Hi T.rexxie, just watched the documentary, it was really interesting. He did say more research on humans was necessary, but there seems to be a lot in its favour from experts featured. Good luck with your journey! I’m off to bed to catch up on some repair time!

Hi trexxie, I hope things are ok with you.
    I was very concerned and confused with your post, did I read that you have cleared all the food out of your house and taking multivitamins instead? If this is the case, maybe you need to read the book and the info on this website. Otherwise, things could become seriously problematic health-wise!
    It’s important to eat, even if it’s only a 1/4 of your total daily energy expenditure or TDEE. Fasting is not really what this way of eating is about, it’s caloric restriction for 2 non-consecutive days a week. And to eat normally on the other 5 days of the week.

It’s that simple! Please try to be kind and gentle with yourself, read up on what this way of eating is all about and start eating fresh, delicious, nutritious food.

On another note, I just wanted to let everyone know that my strawberries are going gangbusters, with tons of large sweet fruit harvested this morning…although the damn slugs are eating their share! Good thing that strawberries have virtually no calories and I can stuff my face!
    Wish that I could share them with you!

Cheers my dears.

Hi ihaw
    I read it that Trexxie was talking about a previous experience. Hope she/he looks into this thoroughly and follows your sound advice.

Can I come and pick some strawberries? Too early for mine and the shop ones aren’t as good as usual. Blueberries, too, are not tiptop at the moment and we live on berries. SO delicious. SO low cal.
    I loved the idea of hundreds of people inexplicably turning their thumbs out yesterday afternoon. 😉 Cheers P

Hi purple, you have an open invitation to my place anytime. I’m waiting on my blueberry bushes to fruit, looks like they’ll never cropping well this season too, there are heaps of lovely white flowers which will turn into berries. My figs and limes are also doing great, so I’ll have a good season eating the fruits of my backyard, I can’t wait!

Did you like the ‘thumbs out’ movement for your posture? Was it helpful? I love the simple practical things we can do to assist ourselves, which don’t cost anything or need any special equipment, clothes, latest wacky crazes, joining groups or mad gym memberships.

Absolutely ihaw
    Life is full of free pleasures and solutions.
    Just walking in my spring garden is a tonic. I often suggest visitors to Sydney go for a walk across the Bridge from the north and through the Rocks to the Gardens. They cover all the main views and history and it costs only a train or ferry ticket to Milsons Point. People don’t seem to value free pastimes.

You know I was born up your way. It is incredible how the fruit grows. I put in a blueberry and a lemon last year . The lemon has given me 4 so far, but the berry will be years. My OH claims my kiffler potato crop were the world’s most expensive spuds ever 🙁
    Ah well. I enjoyed them. Have a happy and peaceful Tuesday. P

Thanks, Purple, for your kind words. In a cleaning and gardening frenzy today, so will be very short.

IHAW, I loved the thumbs out and have already passed it on to my sister. It’s a great way to lower the shoulders, and the tension levels. 🙂

Thank you, Big K Dad, for sharing your inspiring story.

Everyone, please listen to Purple and IHAW with their hard earned and very sensible advice. This is a marathon, not a sprint and it’s important to enjoy the journey. Otherwise you will be tempted to give it away, and we don’t want that, do you?

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Morning all, well I got through yesterday and what a drama I made of it. I woke up all full of the fact it’s my third week and I’ve got this bravado. Let’s just say it wasn’t the most dignified of fast days. There was whining and bitching, much throwing of oneself on the couch and general all round grumpiness. Even my children who are normally oblivouse to anything going on around them (teens) sensed the winds of change and avoided me. Oh well, I got through and kept to my 500 cal but my goodness it was not pretty!
    However today is a new day, the sun is up and I have coffee in hand so all is good. We are off to the Perth show today so I am guaranteed to get my 10,000 steps in.
    Hope everyone has a great day

Good morning SH mates and welcome to yet more new recruits!

BKD, a while back you threatened to start a thread for the few people remaining in the region not practising IF. I think you will need to get onto it quickly or there won’t be anyone left. 🙂

IHAW what a fantastic amazing trick with the thumbs! Even though I’ve only been at work for an hour it felt great. I’ve added it to the ‘stretch’ prompt which pops up every 15 minutes on my computer.

Had fantastic MW prawns in 1/4tst of lemon-flavoured fish oil for dinner with salad last night – 6 prawns in oil less than 100C, total 350C for the day. Mushroom and spring onion omelette with salad on tonight’s menu.

Purple, yes simple pleasures. This morning it was cool and breezy as I walked to work from the car (about 1km) but the sun was shining and the air filled with spring scents. Last year I grew Nicola potatoes (what else for me?) and OH made a similar comment.

The grandies and I planted them in deep polystyrene boxes, starting shallow and gradually topping up as the plants grew taller. We harvested by up-ending the boxes into the wheelbarrow – my granddaughter said it was the best treasure hunt ever. We have just planted again as madam decided that she now likes spuds – eating her own crop apparently did the trick.

Happy Tuesday all whether FD or non.

Ditto Nicky
    I grow them for the grandkids….the teacher in me 🙁
    My granddaughter adored searching for them and making a tiny potato salad!

Enjoy the show Jenklar.
    Cheers all P

Thanks MM, I feel a bit silly now. Didn’t think of this as being a UK site.
    Hi Angelz, I’m from the Gold Coast! Welcome aboard 🙂

Greetings SH peoples,
    IHAW, most jealous of your strawberries, mine only have flowers and small fruit, and I have been out this morning planting the gaps with the runners that I saved and had in pots in the greenhouse. I am now filling hanging pots with the leftovers, so at least the blackbirds and slugs don’t get them all.
    My blueberries are covered in small green fruit, as I planted some “low chill” ones and they are much earlier than the normal ones here, and they don’t drop their fruit if we have a late frost.
    Shorts are loose around my waist already, and it now feels strange when I have to go back to long pants, bought a little skirt last week and I am looking forward to wearing it tonight. OH will get a shock I have not worn a skirt above the knee in over twenty years.
    Well back to the garden, there is still heaps to do,
    Have a great week everyone.
    Charlie

As Bay says, Charlie, we have to rethink our clothes for thinner women. I am also showing off legs..And back..If you’ve got, flaunt it. Enjoy your day. P

Hi all. I’m just starting today. I’ve been up 4 1/2 hours and have had nothing but water (amazing for me). I am about to go to the supermarket to see what healthy low cal foods I can find. I think I will have an egg on toast beforehand as it will be too tempting to buy something otherwise. I really like the sound of this diet, and hope I will be able to stick to it. A few years back I lost 33kgs with weight watchers but have recently put back on 8kgs. At the time I lost the weight, I had just come out of a really bad time in my life, divorce and some major operations on my son (my children have a rare condition that affects their muscles, my eldest is permantly in a wheelchair). I decided that for once I had to think about myself. I was quite lonely and concentrated a lot of my time into getting fit. I then met a wonderful man and for awhile was able to continue the diet. Then about 6 months into our relationship we hit a hard time, and nearly broke up. As a result I took up smoking again, after not having one for 2 years (he is a smoker) and the diet went out the door. We have since worked out our problems, and are in a really good place. He is a wonderful suportive man and my children are going well at the moment. But for some reason I just can’t seem to get back to that frame of mind. I have tried following weight watchers again but find it so hard. My partner and I enjoy going out and being social, this makes dieting hard, also my partner and my boys are all very slim and can eat anything they want without putting on weight. I am hoping as this is only for two days a week I will be able to stick to it without overeating on the other days. I am doing Tuesdays and Thursdays as we are more likely to be out and about on the other days. I have never joined a forum before but like the idea of getting support from people who understand how hard it can be. My partner will often go all day without eating, just because he hasn’t had the time and it doesn’t bother him, he has done this for years. So although he is supportive I dont think he understands that I find it hard to do. Anyway sorry for the long post and I wish everyone a really good week.

Hi Keirra and welcome. Sounds like you have had a hard time but glad to hear things are smoother now. Whereabouts do you live?

Congratulations on taking the plunge into the 5:2 pool. There’s lots of experience and encouragement on this thread from the friendly SH mob. If you can read back through the posts you’ll find that most of us have had times when we’ve fallen off the wagon but it’s not hard to get back on, unlike other eating (deprivation) regimes I’ve tried. It’s important to remember that this lifestyle leads to better health and the weight loss is a wonderful side benefit.

If you haven’t done so already may I recommend you acquire a copy of Dr M’s book which sets out the rationale behind this way of living (WOL). It’s widely available on paper and you can also get it from Amazon in Kindle version. Similarly, Dr M’s original Horizon TV program called ‘Eat, Fast, Live Longer’ has a wealth of solid information, as does the FAQ at the top of the page.

Sounds like you have a plan to tackle intermittent fasting and planning is really the key to success. As you travel further on this journey you’ll find that fasting gets easier and the beauty of this WOL is that we don’t have to feel deprived as if we were dieting every day because we CAN delay until tomorrow. Also fast days can be rearranged if a social event crops up. Also good idea to eat before shopping, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to hold off.

Best wishes, n.

Hi NickF, thankyou for your reply. I’m from Melbourne. I am about to go to the shops now and I will check out Dr M’s book also going to get a calorie counter so I don’t have to get on my laptop every time I want to look up something. I am feeling quite optimistic about trying this diet and I think the support of this group will help keep me positive.

Hi keirra and welcome, there is plenty of great advice and information on this site and lots of lovely people who will support you. I find a quick read on the forum really helps when I am feeling a little hungry on fast days. I have a little calorie counter book (old school) and it’s great.

to ihaveawaist

To clear up the confusion.. I have a lot of junk food in the house. I cook a lot and freeze a lot of food. I take the multivitamins becuase I have not eaten properly for a few weeks and I felt really bad. I have been taking them for a few days now and my energy levels are back up there.
    I am now back to eating normally today. (Have eaten a little less for breakfast. Im full after lunch today instead of wanting to graze) It will be a gentle step down.
    No more cooking and freezing until I work out what I need to buy each week.

Will go for a walk this afternoon instead of lanquishing around the place at home from the lack of energy.

All good..

Hi Getafixnow!

Started the Alternate Day version 3 Fast days ago. Day 4 tomorrow.

Am excited about this new way of life!

Jenni

Hi trexxie,
    I’m glad you helped me sort out my confusion! Good for you on taking up the challenge of looking after yourself. I know we’ll all be here to cheer you on as you move forward with this WOE!

ihaveawaist

Business meeting.. No chance for a walk. So hungry.. (at least it was healthy, not a chocky in site)

Hi SHers
    I’m just finishing b2b fast days Mon & Tue(week 3). Did b2b (Mon & Tues)last week as well cause this just happens to fit in with my work schedule. Up until yesterday I have found things fairly easy (as easy as these things get) with green tea for breakfast and lunch, and orange and some almonds if I get hungry in the afternoon and then the main meal at night.
    The last 2 weeks my evening meal has been very high in lean protein (lean beef usually – beef tataki or korean yukhoe; but also tofu stir-fry/ hiyayakko – love my Japanese food) and I’ve had no problems with night-time hunger.
    Last night instead made pasta sauce (tomato, ricotta, kale and small amount of pork sausage) with konjac noodles – which tasted great. I was able to have a large serve as I still had most of my calories for the day available. Immediately after dinner I was feeling quite full and very happy with this but 3 hours later when I was in bed it felt like my stomach was trying to gnaw through my spine as I was lying in bed, trying to sleep. Eventually read a book until I drifted off to sleep only to wake up an hour or so later as repeat the process over again. I’m thinking that this was a result of less protein and therefore less long lasting feeling of satiety so I’m back to my high protein dinner tonight. I have problems with lots of fruit and veg as I also have fructose malabsorption and lots of fruit and veg causes cramps and diarrhoea. Will let you all know if this “fixes” the gnawing hunger. Not looking forward to it if it doesn’t, but will persist.
    It sounds like this is something that is happening to others and wondered what those that get the nighttime hunger typically eat for dinner. What works and what doesn’t. Any suggestions given that my veggie intact must be limited if I want to be well enough to work the next day.

Sorry
    That was a bit of a novella

Hey everyone,

day 1 tomorrow and really looking forward to it! so great to find this forum, really inspiring how supportive you all are 🙂

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and to the 5:2 diet. This is week two for me so yesterday was my third fast day. I must say that it was harder yesterday than either day last week so that took me by surprise as I had expected the first week to be the hardest. Last week I was busy with my 2 year old son both fast days and didn’t really have much time to think about it. Yesterday I was trying to study all day and my procrastination cups of tea and munchies were much harder to ignore. I didn’t do too bad but I think for the next little while I will try to avoid fasting on a study day.

Also, I tried the thumbs out trick and its great! 🙂

Hi all,

I’m into my second week on 5:2 so today is my third fast day.

Like jj_11, I too found the first couple of fasts relatively trouble free, but today pretty damned difficult. Currently sitting here with a bit of a nasty headache which wasn’t the case last week.

I have to say this is a very interesting, informative, and funny forum. I’ve looked at quite a few of the others and at the risk of offending anybody, I think you’re all crazy and I should be right at home here.

I’m 6’1″ in the old money and 95 kilos in the new. 59 years old with a 44″ waist. Not a pretty sight so would love to lose around fifteen kilos and reduce my waist to half my height (as recommended in ‘the book’)which would mean a 36″ waistline.

Some of the posts you SH’s have put up are incredibly inspirational and I sincerely hope I can match them. With your help and encouragement I reckon I can do this over the next twelve months in time for my 60th. That’s the plan – we’ll see what happens.

Hi Everyone, so many new people here over the last 48hrs. Based on this Nicky I think starting a new forum for the 6 remaining people in Oz not on 5:2 has been made a redundant idea.

Since my last post however (so depressing, even got me down thanks very much Ihaveawaist…lol), I have been reflecting about ‘those dark days’ and it reminded me of something I feel I need to ‘share’ as a ‘cleansing contribution’. The prophetic significance of this statement will be revealed shortly.

At the height of my battle with Bulimia I agreed to attend a clinic in Melbourne. This ‘clinic’ was run by doctors and psychologists (bad combination together if you ask me). During this time I met another young guy on a ‘similar path’ and we became friends.

Andy (his real name Andrew I have changed to protect his identity) and I spent several weeks looking at each other thinking ‘what am I doing sitting here with these nutters’. Imagine a scene out of the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and you are pretty close to some of the ‘group sessions’ we sat in on…This accounts for why I think movie stars check out of ‘rehab’ after 3 days. They ‘sit in’ and listen to the ravings of others and decide ‘man, based on this I don’t have a problem at all’ and leave.

Anyway, all you need to know about bulimia is that the ‘purging’ side tends to be quite ‘ritualistic’ and ‘individual’ in how it is carried out. Andy’s ‘ritual’ was that he could only ‘purge’ with his shirt off and not in a toilet (fear for cleanliness and hygiene are two common traits) and the one ‘ritual’ we all share, had to be in private.

So, after about 8 sessions we were asked to ‘team up’ for a 24hr period and ‘share our day with someone’. Instructions were we had to report back the next day to the group and had to share at least one meal together. Well Andy and I nearly leapt across the room to grab each fearing we would be ‘assigned a random lunatic’. Based on what we knew about these people, chances of ‘surviving to the following morning’ were very slim if we did not ‘put dibs’ on each other quickly.

Both being from out of town, the next evening, about half way through the ‘experiment’ we dressed for a ‘night out’. Like an alcoholic will be drawn to a bar, Bulimics are drawn to food. We walked past every restaurant strip in inner Melbourne. Which, on looking back, was like sending two heroin addicts on an all expenses paid holiday to Cambodia or Thailand!

We ended up at ‘a favourite haunt’ for bulimics, an all you could eat buffet. It was seafood and ‘magnificent’. To set the scene, it was ‘classy’ for two country lads. Tables with white linen cloths, people drinking beer out of hi ball glasses, ‘ladies’ dressed in ‘evening frocks’. The dining room looked out through full length windows onto a small tropical dimly lit courtyard.

Well, about a lobster each, several beers and a couple of kilos of prawns ‘in’ Andy informed me he was ‘full’ and needed to ‘step out for a minute’. He assured me he would return for more shortly so whatever happened I was to guard his plate with my life!

‘I knew the score’ and assured him I would just sit back and savour my third prawn cocktail till his return.

As I sat contemplating how I would ever put the evenings events into words tomorrow, I was stunned to see Andy appear almost instantly in the small enclosed courtyard outside in full view of the dining room (he later told me he was in such a hurry ‘bursting with an engorged stomach’, disorientated by alcohol and the windows were so heavily tinted he believed he had found the perfect ‘hiding’ spot behind an office and he did not associate ‘his oasis’ with the surreal one inside).

In a perfect moment of pre cognition as soon as I saw Andy unbutton the top of his shirt I knew what was coming…literally. Time stopped. I looked around at the assembled diners, the laughing friends, the clinking of celebratory glasses, the hushed conversations between lovers confessing undying devotion to each other and my brain screamed, “Ladies and Gentlemen, please direct your attention to the windows. Sit back and enjoy the main event”.

Well, it was poetry in motion. The human body is capable of some marvellous feats, childbirth is one but this was ‘superhuman’. I can only describe it as an ‘exorcism’ like experience to watch. And, in doing so, Andy triggered an exodus from the restaurant that mirrored the ‘sinking scene’ from Tittanic (including the music).

This has stayed with me as the lightest moment in an otherwise dark period.

In closing, some of you may be thinking what I reported back the next day in ‘therapy group’. I looked at everyone and said, “nothing much, Andy and I watched tele most the day, talked and later we grabbed a meal and show”.

Sorry, I wasted so much space but it was very, very late when written, no action on forum and thought it might help pass some time for those doing it tough tomorrow.

Hi Bacchus and jj,
    Welcome and congrats on getting this far!

jj, one of the reasons why it’s so much easier doing 5:2 when you’re busy, is just that…you don’t have time or the energy to be thinking about food, or fasting, you just do it because there’s so much else you have to get done.
    Like in your case, looking after a toddler, busy little poeple who get all of your attention, making you forget all the other hunger/boredom/food issues. So, if studying at home is a tricky place to fast, change it up somehow….study at the library, plan ahead with carrot sticks or strawberries to munch…instead of chocolate/chips/soft drink, study with a friend or group who interacts a lot leaving your mind busy…rather than bored.
    I’m sure you’ll come up with some strategies that will work for you, it’s just a matter of keeping busy and planning ahead.

Bacchus, headaches are a common issue when starting this way of eating. It’s something to do with either your electrolyte balance and dehydration….or glycogen stores being used up. The jury is still out on the science.
    Remember to drink plenty…. water, tea, coffee and soup, also try some miso soup, it comes in nifty sachets and is 28 calories a serve and not too salty (Coles and Woolies both stock it in the Asian food aisle).
    Avoid soft drinks and diet drinks, they seem to be really bad news, with the artificial sweeteners causing more harm than good.
    As the weather heats, up eat watermelon, berries and other juicy fruits and make lots of salads. Lettuce, leafy greens, sprouts, tomatoes, capsicums, celery, shredded carrots are all full of goodness and water. Pack in the flavours, using vinegar, mint, lemon or lime juice, capers, chilli, garlic, basil, or any other tasty flavour you like.
    Experiment with new flavours and food, have fun! It will impress your family and friends too. There are heaps of great recipe ideas on this site and others.
    Plant some herbs and leafy greens in the garden to use as fresh garnishes and add to your salads, way cheaper than buying the packets of sad, wilted ones at the shop. Gardening is a great way to distract you from hunger and headaches, all whilst burning calories.

Use all the info and tracker here, it will be super helpful. Keeping it simple and fun is the key.

Cheers!

Wow bigkahuna, I just read your post….words fail me, and eating disorders are fricken scary…!!

I’m so sorry to have been the cause of you re-living this dark period of your life. Bulimia is so rarely spoken of, and never about in relation to in ‘apparently’ healthy young men.

It just shows me how deceiving appearances can be. How much pain and anguish is hidden from view. And how little I know.

I sincerely hope you aren’t going to go back to those old ways of coping and are now eating for your sustained nourishment and good health.

Sorry for causing you such distress, I’ll shut up now.

Morning SH team,
    How is everybody’s week going? My fast days are also mon/thurs. This is my 3rd week and i have now lost 3 kg.
    BKD thanks for sharing your story. When i was a teen my parents divorced and as a coping mechanism i ate very minimally, it made me feel like i had some control over what little i could as everything else in my world was chaos. I would say i had eating issues but i dont think i was anorexic (probably pretty close though)
    On my fast days now i love them because it gives me the same feeling but now obvioulsy i can switch it on and off. Having an honours degree in psychology so i think i have a good understanding of my own healthy thinking boundrys and what i need to be aware of personally but i was wondering if the fast days elicit any thought patterns or emotions from way back when for others.
    KathrynH sorry to hear about your mum. I hope you have success with this eating design. It sounds like you are 75% there already 🙂

Ihaveawaist, please do not apologise to me. My life is at a completely different place now. It is fine.

Sitash, 3kg in three weeks, well done.

I weighed in today. After 3 fast days and two weeks (weighed before I started) I am down 2.4kg. This has honestly been with ‘minimal’ effort on non fast days and an ‘afternoon beer’ as a general rule.

Viewing 50 posts - 2,901 through 2,950 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.