Worrying research about fatty liver and 5 2

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Worrying research about fatty liver and 5 2

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Summerannie 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Just read this article about the possible effects of the 5 2 diet on the liver – led to an increase in fatty liver in mice. Worrying. Does anyone have any further info? It does say more research is needed.

‘The mice that fasted between bouts of eating had almost twice as much fat in their liver as those who had uninterrupted access to the obesity-promoting diet.’

Also ‘The intermittent fasting group also put on more visceral fat, which is associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.’ and

‘Our study suggests that our eating pattern affects the regulation of clock genes in fat tissue, and can make fat cells store more fat per calorie,’

http://sciencenordic.com/fattening-facts-behind-52-diet

Hi jonathan. Your post interested me so I had a look at it. I have no scientific knowledge or background but I have some comments to make.There seems to be a bit of confusion re energy intake in the report. Mice were used, naturally. Quote “1st ten days were put on an energy rich diet followed by 4 days of restricted energy intake. This cycle was repeated 4 times in the course of the experiment”. A control group was fed the same energy rich diet without fasting.
    Quote “Surprisingly at the end of the experiment the total energy intake was aprox the same in both groups”. The mice that fasted….. had almost twice as much fat in their liver…….The intermittent fasting group also had more visceral fat…..
    According to this research report it reads to me that the mice that fasted still had almost the same energy (fat) intake as those mice not fasting.
    The experiment took place over aprox 56 days ie 10 days + 4 days (14) by 4. (My estimation.)
    If the fasting mice had the same energy intake as non fasting mice over a shorter feeding time period then it is possible that this may affect fat storage in liver.
    Now, if you have the original “The Fast Diet” book, page 43, Michael comments on similar research carried out by the Salk Institute for Biological Studies. The experiment lasted 100 days. Again mice were used. One group were forced to fast over 16 hrs per day. At the end these mice, despite having eaten exactly the same amount of food suffered much less liver damage and put on far less weight (28% less)……
    So two different results from different experiments.
    The Scientist in the Nordic experiment described the 5:2 diet as “A fad diet”. If you follow the links in the report you will see other research showing that the new “Nordic Diet” is the healthiest yet this “New” diet of healthy “Nordic” food uses food groups found all over the world. This new diet is not described as “A fad diet” Could there be some ulterior motive at work here?.”
    Crucially in both experiments a high fat diet was the norm. We humans, when fasting do not, I believe stick to a high fat diet. In addition much other research into fasting and diet shows that “Fasting” generally has positive health benefits. Fasting has been around for thousands of years. Michael who made himself a guinea pig showed that his tests prior to his fasting were a worry but that after they showed positive improvements.
    Finally remember there a two other main researchers in the book that Michael refers to. Krista Varady and Valter Longo, both experts in the field of Fasting research. Oh and I nearly forgot… all the posters following the 5:2 who report positive weight loss and other health benefits.
    Good luck to you all out there.

Thanks for your reply – you make many interesting comments and observations. Myself and my partner have been following the 5:2 diet now for nearly two years. I am having some blood tests next month so it will be interesting to see how my liver (and kidney) tests come out – though I realise there will be other factors that affect these. I am not planning to stop the diet or change my habits, but having had highish liver test results before I will follow the topic with interest. Thanks again for your detailed reply. Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Can I ask how you went with the tests in regard to fatty liver? I’m really enjoying 5:2 when I can stick to it, but wonder about long term effects to?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.