worried about eating too much

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

• Hi

Iv never really written in a forum before so bare with me haha!

I have been looking into this diet and it sounds amazing and there has been so many success stories from it! i have recently lost a stone by simply eating healthy and excersizing.

Im going on holiday in may and i want to loose a further 10lbs – 14lbs so i feel comfortable in a bikini also my friend is getting married and she has asked me to be bridesmaid and i dont want to see the wedding photos and feel i have ruined them!

The only thing that worries me is eating to much and putting my weight i have just lost back on ..

I try to eat around 1000 cals a day or mabe less, and i believe (although i know its propably not true) that if on the ‘feed days’ if i eat 1200 cals i will put on weight even if i do have fast days?

i sound obsessive but i just want to know if anyone else feels the way i do?

iwillbeskinny, 1000 calories is NOT enough! Check your TDEE and your BMR and make sure you eat comfortably between the 2 numbers on every non-fastday. If you don’t eat enough you will go into starvation mode (you might already be there if you’ve been doing that for a while – and getting out of it could be painful if you’ve gone that far) and make it very difficult for yourself to shift excess weight, as your body will hold on to whatever it can once you’re in starvation mode.

If you’re going to do 5:2 there aren’t many rules but you MUST eat over your BMR on non-fastdays and that definitely is one.

hi and welcome Iwillbeskinny ( love this)

you made the right choice and am sure you will reach that goal in time for the holiday and wedding 🙂

re the calories on normal days, have you calculated your TDEE yet? these are the amount you should consume on your normal days and top of the page there is a tool which will calculate this for you, I know how you feel though, my TDEE is something like 1700 cals, and to be honest I don’t think I eat those all the time… just see how it goes for you, and what works..

good luck!

I hope this helps! x

I agree with you TracyJ and I will take that sound advice on board 🙂

thank you!!

awwww helloo! im so glad someone replied! thank you both 😀 😀

oh thats great advice from you both!

i wondered why my weight wasnt shifting its so annoying! but i am soo interested in this diet!

i will calculate my TDEE now and see how many cals i should be having …

I know i sound thick but i just cant get my head around me eating more calories and loosing weight!

How long have you both being doing the 5:2 for do you have any advice? xxxxxxxx

OMG! it says i need to eat 2016 cals? is this right?

ohh i have just re-read all of your comments i understand now sorry!

No worries iwillbeskinny, The rules are basically:

Check your BMR & TDEE numbers (re-do this whenever you have significant loss or change exercise regime, as both will affect your numbers) and eat between those 2 figures on non-fastdays.

2 or 3 days a week (depending on if you do 5:2 or 4:3) eat only 500/600 calories.

Split calories throughout your fastday however you like and don’t be afraid to experiment with meal timings etc. as you go. Make sure you drink LOADS of water.

That’s pretty much it.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

@iwillbeskinny Hi there

Tracy and Angie are SO right!! You need to eat more.

My weight loss has been slowing down recently and, while I expect it to go slower as I get nearer my goal, I’m not that close yet.

I use My Fitness Pal to track calories – not absolutely necessary but it helps some people – and I’m glad I do. I went back to check because when I started this way of eating, I was losing steadily.

I have found that, as my weight loss has slowed so my calorie intake has been reducing gradually over the weeks and I think overall I am just not eating nearly enough. Some non fast days barely reaching my BMR. Silly me – no excuses, I should know better!!

This week I am making a concentrated effort to eat more in the hope I go back to losing regularly.

I know it seems unbelievable that you have to eat more to lose weight but it’s true.

Good luck

xx

Hi sylvestra, Obviously sorry this has happened to you but it could be a really positive thing for the spate of newbies we’ve seen who are starting out on 5:2 while already in starvation mode. You being so on-top of your progress and being able to track your intake, it would be great if you could let us know how you get on climbing back out of starvation mode, so they understand how eating more can actually help them lose from a real live first hand example.

Good luck with it anyway – we’ll all get there in the end eh! 😉

Hi Everyone 🙂

aww thank you all for your advice its really appreciated!

i agree myfitnesspal app is great i used that before this diet to just to track my calories and its sooo helpful!

just a quick question for anyone willing to answer? how much did you weigh when you started the diet and how much do you weigh now? and whats the average amount of weight lost per week?

i bet everyone asks these questions but i thought i would ask myself?

oh and another thing … say if i was haveing a normal day (none fast day) and i had used 900 cals through out the day .. would it be okay to mabe have a slice of cake to bunk up my cals to 1200? because this is another thing i cant get my head around… the fact cake is soooo fattening but nothing there are no rules on what you can eat …

thanks everyone for the goodluck wishes! 😀

oh does anyone excersize whilste do the diet aswell? will it speed up the weight loss?

and has anyone got any info on excersiz with weights for women i heard its more effective than cardio?

You can have most of your TDEE worth of cake as your sole source of calories for a non-fastday if you like. I wouldn’t recommend it (having done it once 😉 ) but you can if you want. There are no rules about WHAT you eat, just how MUCH. Stay comfortably between your BMR and your TDEE on non-fastdays and there are no other rules.

I weighed about (give or take a couple of lbs – never took a start reading) 15 stone, 18 months ago and I was weighed at the gym 2 weeks ago and it came to 11st 5lb. So that’s roughly 50lb in 18 months, or 0.65lb per week.

That sounds terrible when you work out the weekly average but it’s 50+ lb that wasn’t going anywhere until I started 5:2. The loss started out MUCH quicker for me but I’ve also stalled on nothing lost or only 1lb lost for a couple of months worth of readings too, so it’s all evened out. It REALLY is a marathon, NOT a sprint. This is my lifestyle forever, I know that, I’m happy with that, if you find a way that works for you long-term too then you’ll be happy too.

Good luck

@iwillbeskinny Hi

The AVERAGE weight loss (and I stress it is an average as everyone is different) is around 1 lb (.5kg) per week. Some people lose weight immediately, with others it can take a week or two before they see any difference. The idea of measuring before you start is a good one as sometimes you see inch loss but no weight loss.

The good thing about this way of eating is that you can eat WHATEVER you like but try to keep at or under your TDEE on non fast days. I’m not sure where you are getting the 1200 calorie figure from – that sounds as if it is just around your BMR. You can use the calculator in the ‘how?’ tab above to work out your BMR and TDEE and you should aim for BETWEEN these amounts on a non fast day. But make sure it is ABOVE your BMR.

As I said in my earlier post – I have found from experience that if you do not eat enough you will not lose weight.

xx

TracyJ thats FANTASTIC WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you should be soooo proud of yourself!!!

so it does deffinatley work doesnt it! im gunna deffo try it and see if it works for me if it does fab!! because i LOVE food soo much! haha

im going to start on monday so and do my first fast day and go on from there and update on here weekly!

thank you everyone for the tips and info i appreciate it!

i understand the life style change i really do .. i know that this isnt just a short term diet because anything i do loose theres a big chance that it will all come back on!

Glad you brought this topic up @iwillbeskinny, and thanks to TracyJ as I have over the years wondered if I was eating not enough calories but according to this BMR and TDEE calculator I am OK. BMR is 1029 and TDEE 1415 I don’t think I could stick to a 1/4 of my TDEE infact feel deprived on 500 however I am doing this for IGF 1 benifits and find the 2pm to 2pm or 24 hours is the best for me or at least waiting for 20 hrs before eating. I am only in my 3rd week so will see how I get on.

All the best.

i have fasted for two years and lost 4 stone but i started this 5/2 on 06/01/14 i have lost another stone…all in all i have lost 5 stone and hoping this will see me through my last one…it does seem to have amazing results…i will break down how i do it
    mon fast 500
    tues 1200
    wed 1200
    thur 1200
    fri fast 500
    sat 2000
    sun 2000
    this plan works for me…you have to tweek it to work for yourself…im really pleased with the results… and i find this manageable
    good luck x
    forgot to say that i use a treadmill 5 times a week for 20 mins walking/light jogging

fast52 – if you find 25% of your TDEE difficult to manage on your fastday then just up it to the 500cal. The numbers were arbitrary really, chosen by Michael for HIS version of a study detailed in his documentary about fasting. The numbers 500 and 2000 would result in an ‘average’ loss of 1lb per week for Ms. ‘Average’.

They work for a lot of people but all that will happen if you up your intake on a fastday to 500 calories is that it might slightly slow down your loss. If it’s more comfortable & sustainable for you though, then that’s worth a slower loss isn’t it.

thank you everyone for you tips and info!! you have all done fantastic!!!

i decided to do a fast day today -_- OMG i am struggling like mad!!!

i feel sooo niggly and adgitated! i have recently stopped smoking too so its makeing me want a cig but i wont do it!

anyone have any advice? what if i have an extra 100 cals will it make an impact (i know stupid question)

im gunna go insane!!!!!!!!!

iwillbeskinny, if you feel it’s going to be make or break then go ahead and have an extra few calories. It won’t make much difference and if it helps you ‘bed in’ to the lifestyle the first couple of weeks then do it.

Try not to eat until you absolutely have to on fastdays – once you start the ‘hunger’ pangs will be worse. It’s not REALLY hunger, it’s just thirst and it WILL pass but it’s difficult to deal with the first few times and it’s like pringles – once you pop (eat) you just can’t stop (thinking about food).

Its really great hearing some of you are only loosing small amounts over a long period , it is a marathin , just think how long all that weight has beem around ! For me i’ve skowed a bit , I’ve lost 5 kg and im in my 3 rd month .ive slowed down , not exercising enough .However I am loosing literally inches or cm and im recording this ifo in my fitness pal app. So even though things are slow im stil shrinking and im sure health benefits are worth it .
    I just find some days my will power better on my fast days than others , sure it all irons out on the wash long term. Yesterday on my fast I probably had 700 so today I might try and restrict again .im puzzled by the concept of not eating enough , I thought strvation mode only happens to people in war camps where over a long time they have 500 a day only .isnt it true that calories in and calorie out with a deficit will loose weight ? When my fitness pal app says on my fadt days you’re eating too few calories and you’ll go into starvation mode isnt that just rubbish ???

Hi tlafonta, a lot of people don’t ‘believe in’ starvation mode but I am of the opinion that if you consistantly undereat then your body will do all sorts of unhealthy things to your body composition to try to keep you alive for as long as possible during this aparent ‘famine’.

Whether you believe in it or not the idea of the 5:2 lifestyle is to have a healthy, sustainable relationship to food and promote the health benefits of the fasting period while being comfortable with it as a long-term thing, rather than a ‘quick fix’ diet.

That all being said, you will be eating WAY less calories than you need to survive (longterm) during a fastday but that is OK because you are not doing it every day. It’s like a cavewoman having access to meat from the hunt and other forraged goodies most days but also having the occasional (twice weekly) lean day, where there’s just nothing to be had but a few berries.

The odd day of ‘starvation’ wont kill you or mess up your body, as it’s built to deal with short-term shortages, it’s long-term and consistant undereating which will mess you up. The main thing is to ensure that you are eating between your BMR and your TDEE on your non-fastdays, not just in order not to go into ‘starvation mode’ but really just to not feel like you’re on this awful restrictive ‘diet’ and you continue to feel comfortable with the lifestyle as a long-term thing.

Oh and in answer to “just think how long all that weight has beem around !” Yeah, I started 5:2 at the age of 34 and had been overweight since puberty, so yeah it’s been pretty much an adult-life-long thing for me to be at least 3-4 stone overweight. I think over those 20 years I had ‘put on’ maybe a stone (14lb) in total, so I started out pretty big as a pubescant girl and didn’t really add that much in 20 years but maintained that high bodymass very consistantly, just finding it impossible to move it with exercise and failing miserably at every ‘diet’ I tried during that time. That weight was going NOWHERE until 5:2 came along. I wish I had figured this out in my teens – it would have saved a lot of unhappiness.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply.