Will this work for someone who is morbidly obese?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Will this work for someone who is morbidly obese?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Ruthi 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• I’m trying to support my dear friend (no really!! It is my friend!!) who is approximately 32 stone & has a sugar addiction – would you recommend this way of eating for her?

Hi Welshiemull

i am sure you will get other replies but i would advise your friend to seek medical advice before starting 5.2?

best of luck!

Hi Welshiemull, welcome to the fast diet!

Unless your friend has other conditions which would would prohibit intermittent fasting (see FAQs), being morbidly obese they probably have more to gain. A lot of people find the weight drops off faster if they are more overweight (especially around the middle where it matters most from a health point of view!)

As a GP I would have thought the benefits significantly outweigh the risks. I hope they are inspired to give it a try and I am sure they would get lots of support from others on the forum too
    Let us know how your friend gets on!
    Clare

Ask the doctor, but if they give the go-ahead, then yes!

She wont have to do it long to get a huge boost – morbidly obese people will lose lots of weight very quickly as soon as they start to diet. The majority of it is water, but regardless, it will be very motivating for her to see the scales dip quickly!

If she tries 5:2 my guess is she’ll lose a stone or more in 2 weeks. It would slow down after that, but maybe she’ll be hooked?

Hi all,
    Thank you for your comments. My friend is surprisingly in good shape considering her size & I know she recently had her blood works etc done & there were no causes for concern. Think I’m going to buy her the book to see if it inspires her!x

Hello all I been lurking so this is my first posting and I felt I should reply here, I am also a morbidly obese person and one year ago I was 600 pounds. Throughout the year I struggled to get my weight off, and in July I discovered the fast diet. I found it helped me a lot in helping me deal with my hunger cravings, when I told my doctor I think his attitude is if its working it can’t be bad. Doing the fasts I was able to shed off about 25 pounds quickly for a total of 70 pounds in weight loss and then in October I got shingles and quit it while I recovered and through the holidays, now that I am better I’ve just started doing the fast diet again and plan to do it this entire year and see what results I get.

Hi dethrock, just wanted to say I sympathise with you regarding the shingles. Are you fully recovered now? I am suffering with them at the moment. It started just before Christmas so was off the plan for a couple of weeks anyway. The blisters/rash has nearly gone now but I am still in pain. I have decided to carry on with the plan though as I don’t know how long this pain will last. It may not be as bad as yours but it’s bad enough – I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

So far, I have nearly lost what I put on over Christmas. The scales didn’t move this morning after my 2nd fast of the week so was a bit disappointed. I’ll jump on again tomorrow! I am trying to get weighed only once a week though.

Well done for your weight loss so far and good luck. Linda

Yes I am over the shingles now, luckily I got on it quite early before it got too painful. However they were on my face and it got in my eye and began blurring my vision, so it was another month after the initial attack before I was all clear of them. Luckily my vision has cleared up and the doctor said it only left a slight scar on my cornea. Over the ordeal and the holidays I gained back around 19 pounds from what I lost, I just weighed this week and I’m now 11 pounds up and have started fasting again as of monday. I was gonna do another fast today but the chicken wings won me over, but I’ll get it tomorrow or saturday. Anyways it takes a few weeks for the blisters to totally go away, it was about 6-8 weeks for mine to clear up and they kinda of came and went. Just stick with your treatments and you should be fine, if any of you are able to get the shingles vaccine I would HIGHLY recommend it because shingles suck!!!!

Although I wasn’t morbidly obese I was adducted to sugar when I started 5:2. I found that fasting helped me get to the point of addressing my issues with sugar and after eight months I am now only fasting occasionally, but most importantly for me I am pretty well carb free, and my only sugar is a couple of squares of dark chocolate daily.

But my question is is really why is your friend not here asking these questions herself? Is she ready to make the changes needed? Sadly, however much we can see what our loved ones need, they have to make these decisions themselves. Are you doing 5:2 yourself?

I have a close friend who was morbidly obese. She watched me start 5:2 and my fantastic initial weight loss at just about the time that the message finally got through that she was killing herself. So she joined Lighter Life and has been doggedly working her way through four ‘packs’ of synthetic rubbish a day. She has lost four stone, and had 3 attacks of diverticulitis and two of acute gastritis in six months. It horrifies me, this campaign of wilful malnutrition, and she knows it. But my role is to praise her achievement and take her clothes shopping and that is what I do. By now I think she knows that fasting and eating healthily are the true solutions, but she is still not ready to tackle that one. On the rare occasions that she eats a normal meal all her old habits are unchanged. I can’t force that change on her, I can only model a better way. And I have a copy of the book in my glove compartment ready for the day she asks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.