Will the diet work for older people like me I am 76

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Will the diet work for older people like me I am 76

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  oldtimer 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anyone my age had success, I have yoyo directed for 50 years.

Hi oldtimer,

My Dad is 81. He’s been doing his own version of 5:2 since the summer, lost a bit over 2 stone (from obese BMI to top end normal) and reduced his waist from a tight 40 to comfortable 36 inches, reduced his blood pressure and arthritic inflammation, and generally feels fantastic.

He has a tenuous understanding of calories, so doesn’t calorie count. Twice a week he fasts for about 23 hours. He cuts calories by skipping breakfast and lunch, but his evening meal comes in at more than quarter daily calorie allowance (TDEE). It has had a knock on effect on non fast days though, as he eats smaller portions and snacks much less on cakes and biscuits.

He could have lost more weight if he’d reduced his fast day calories more (he drinks wine and even eats pudding on fast days..) but he’s found something that’s sustainable for him.

So yes, it’s never too late!

Hi Happy Now, thanks for that info.I intend to follow the rules as if I cheat on any diet it does not work.I am heading back from holiday today so will be ready to get going soon.Thanks

You’re just a kid! My husband and I are 79; will celebrate our 61st wedding anniversary in April. We started on the 5:2 diet about 6 weeks ago (I should have marked the date on the calendar but you know how us old fogies forget things.) He has lost 12 lbs. and I’ve lost 8 lbs. We’re really happy with the diet and plan for it to be our way of life now. On non-fast days, we’re eating frozen Lean Cuisine or Smart Choice dinners in the evening to help us with portion control. We eat lots of salads, fresh vegetables and fruits throughout the day. 100 calorie Greek yogurt often in the late afternoon–gives us calcium and protein that helps make the smaller evening meals filling. We try to exercise three times a week–me on the treadmill and Bill using several machines plus free weights. (He was an athlete and coach for many years and has always exercised regularly. I’m good at watching!)

I have diabetes and my blood sugars are doing very well on the diet. Bill has a pacemaker and had a stent put in his heart last year; his blood pressure has dropped enough that he’s been able to discontinue one of his medicines. For both health and weight loss, this diet is working for us.

Thanks for that, I am sticking to the diet, slow but sure as I do not have much to loose but the support is so important not just for the weight loss but the health benefits.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.