Will it work this time?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  StartingOver 7 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• I am new to this forum. I need to lose 21lb to bring me down to normal weight. It may not sound much but it is so difficult and I have been trying for many years. I get no support at home and have to do all the cooking. I desperately need some help from people who understand. This probably sounds pathetic but I would like my clothes to fit me well again. Having just reached pensionable age I feel it is now or never as I have recently been feeling very run down and miserable and I suspect my cholesterol level has gone up again.
    Any advice gratefully received and I will try and ignore the Easter eggs

Hi. Not sure I have any advice but am wishing you good luck.
    I am in a very similar position.
    Not too much weight to lose but am fed up with it going up and having a wardrobe of clothes I can’t wear or that are tight.
    I am 60 next year and now worrying about health issues with heart disease in the family.
    ‘My husband doesn’t understand’ either and buys all sorts of sweet treats (my downfall) and leaves them lying about. Very hard.
    As for Easter Eggs…..I love them and will I indulge but fast on Monday.
    I just started this week. Could only manage two days of 800 calories, but that’s a start.
    Have you tried the 5 2 diet before?
    Best wishes.

Thank you so much for your reply. It really helps to know there is someone out there in the same position. This is my first time on 5:2, I think I may only manage 800 to start with but as you say it is a start and I hope it will ease me into 500 and ultimately work. I wish you every success too.

Hi PA and welcome:

Here are some tips that might help you with 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

I think 5:2 is easier to fit in with normal family meals than most other diets as you are really only doing something different 2 days per week – so fewer arguments and comments from family members who insist you don’t need to be losing weight.

Depending on how you structure your calories on a fast day, you can eat every evening meal with the rest of the family – When I do a fast day I skip breakfast and lunch, have a piece of fruit for afternoon tea and then eat a normal but lowish calorie dinner with a generous amount of veg.

Thank you! That is really helpful – the comments are something I find hard to deal with although my daughter in law is always supportive . Not sure I could miss breakfast so maybe I will have my fruit then.

Hi PA – skipping breakfast is not an option that suits everyone. It has always been the meal I am least interested in eating as my appetite is strongest late in day. On a fast day plan your calories around your appetite – I’m sure you know when it will demand attention.

One thing I’ve found with this forum is that I get the support and advice I need without needing to find it elsewhere. If the topic causes issues at home just don’t bring it up – come here and talk.

Hi PA, I needed to shed about the same weight as you did and I succeeded following 5:2 and best of all, I’ve kept it off now for 7 months since reaching goal weight.

I wouldn’t have been able to accomplish this without fully participating in this forum which for me became a daily sounding board and reality check.

There are some ongoing threads that I joined which enabled me to draw on the wisdom of those whose steps I followed.

I also understand those around not being supportive. I’ve also had to travel through an obstacle course of sometimes well meaning friends who didn’t have a clue. For example, I have a friend who insists she’s ‘fat’ and ‘overweight’ who constantly got on my case for shedding my fat and reducing by making sly side comments as I reached goal weight. It did get to me at the time, so I definitely understand the minefield of others’ emotional projections. I’ve had to grow into a completely new person both outwardly in body and inwardly emotionally while on this journey. All the best for the same transformation taking place with you!

Hello, PA

I’m really just adding my voice to the others to say hello and offer encouragement.

I cook all the meals too but have so far managed by keeping my own meals simple (so it doesn’t increase the work!).

Also I’ve been drinking a cup of hot, low-cal veg bouillon while or before I cook the evening meal as it takes the edge off the hunger that the cooking aromas might otherwise give me.

Those are just tips rather than advice. Everyone has their own methods, I guess.

I hope things improve for you & that you find the forum as supportive as you need.

Best wishes…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.