Why did I choose 5:2 when I hate diets.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dragon Fly 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I despise the notion of diets. But, I do want to change my weight.

I live in California. I grow lots of my fruits and vegetables and buy really fresh foods from the Farmers Market. I turned 60 this year and I do not want to gain weight and would love to lose a few pounds.

I refuse to demonize entire food groups. I refuse to focus on micronutrients or join some cultish way of eating. But I do want to stop over indulging my appetite. Yes, it is a matter of appetite and a certain amount of greed for tastes and for gratification.

Feeling hungry has become foreign to us. Immediately we panic and try to satisfy our hunger as if we are facing a famine. Most diets and most new ways of eating are designed to avoid that feeling with stuffing ourselves with fake food or foods that are “good for us”. What is wrong with feeling a bit of hunger?

Making peace with feelings of hunger is my goal and avoiding immediate gratification. So, in many ways, I see this as a long time commitment to change my appetite and how I satisfy it.

I don’t eat processed foods and actually I do not crave them. But, you can still overindulge in good foods. Time to listen to your appetite and make peace with the feelings of hunger, I am not going to die if I feel hungry for a few hours per week. And no need to gorge in anticipation. The cycle repeats weekly.

A diet implies a short time commitment, with 5:2 I am hoping that it’s a lifetime adjustment.

This is the second week of the journey.

Hi Strellaa. You sound just like me – I hate diets too and see the 5:2 thing as a lifestyle change that is teaching me about hunger and appetite and listening to my body. (And I turn 60 this year too.) On my fast days I pay a lot of attention to my small ‘meals’, eating slowly and enjoying every bite. (I try to do that other days too but don’t always manage it.) I have been surprised and delighted to discover that a colourful plate of fresh salad vegetables doesn’t have a lot of calories and can be quite filling. It’s summer here (New Zealand) and I have just feasted on lettuce, cucumber from my friend’s garden,tomato, carrot and a little bit of fish. In my third month of this programme and I have lost around 4 kg which is encouraging, but more importantly this feels like something I can keep doing.I took a break last week as we were on holiday but didn’t feel inclined to gorge, just enjoyed good food. Good luck to you on your journey. In the Maori language – kia kaha – stay strong!

This is definately a lifestyle change rather than a diet, its perfect in every way because you dont have to deny yourself anything! If I struggle on a fast day I just remind myself that I can eat more tomorrow, and like you said Strella … its all about getting to feel comfortable with the feelings of hunger, and not seeing them as anything to panic about.

Good luck to you both Strella and Jennifer .. stay strong 😀 x

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.