What's happened to the forum?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  toms mantis 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Wasn’t sure where to put this, so just stuck it here. Maybe it’s just me, but it’s a bit eerie on here at the moment. Very quiet compared with how busy it once was. Anyone agree?

Wow, I think this forum is pretty busy. I check once or twice a day and there are lots of postings to read each time.

I’ve noticed the same thing, toms. Could be all sorts of reasons. I’ve posted very little in the last week or so having been struck down by a humdinger of a cold and feeling very sorry for myself. Have not been properly fasting but as I can hardly bear the sight or smell of food, it’s probably amounted to the same thing.
    Sod’s law. It’s happened when I’ve got quite a lot of translation work. I also had to miss my first MA dissertation supervision, but not before I had emailed my supervisor nearly 1,000 words of waffle before keeling over. It may well be there are other posters who are suffering one way or another
    Also if there hasn’t been much activity on your regular threads, you don’t get the relevant emails.

Hermaj, maybe that’s the problem. Have a cold myself, In common with the whole family and probably half the country, and have not fasted properly for 2 weeks now. I am not the most prolific poster myself, but on some threads it’s days, weeks and even months since anyone posted. This didn’t happen when I first joined. I know some people have joined various Facebook pages, but still…. Maybe there’s only so much that can be said, asked and answered about 5:2, and as we had complaints about some threads that were started, we run out of stream. Keep thinking about joining the Facebook LOACA page. Anyway, hope you soon get back on track with your dissertation and get rid of your cold.

Hi toms mantis

Quite off topic here but does your username actually mean Tom’s Mantis (as in the Latin for “prophet”)? If so, should we call you Tom or tom not toms?
    Weird question, I know, but just curious 🙂

Cheers, Kim

PS How is the swimming going?

Hello, Ripcurlgirl. Nothing so noble I’m afraid! Simply to do with a picture one of my grandsons did of a preying mantis – guess his name?! Everyone was talking about Toms mantis at the same time I was looking for a user name, and this popped into my head. Thank you for being interested. The swimming? Ugh. The first week I woke on the Friday with a migraine, this week I have been unwell. Really, these are not excuses. Will post if and when I finally get to go. How are things going for you? Hope your fasting well.

Hi Amy C, when I first began posting on here it was fairly crowded. Now it appears rather patchy. Just an observation. I think some people have stopped posting for various reasons.

Hi Tom’s Nanna,

That username is way cooler than my over-analysed meaning!! It reminds me of my son named Tom (now 20 & in his last year of uni studying at the University of New South Wales’ College of Fine Arts majoring in Sound Design). I really LOVE it – “Tom’s Mantis” 🙂

Don’t feel bad about missing the swimming – any sort of exercising when you are unwell is ill-advised but particularly swimming as it depends so greatly on breathing rhythmically – something that’s hard to learn even without a cold!

BTW I just posted to the LOACA thread too – only just discovered it (haven’t been on the forum for ages). And our time zones are out of whack as I’m in Australia – that’s where I got the username “ripcurlgirl” – it’s surfing brand Rip Curl’s women’s arm (though, at 53, I haven’t surfed for over 10 years but hope to get back to it by the end of this year – our next summer).

Cheers, Kim

Hello Ripcurlgirl, I hope you get back to the surf soon. Do you find that the older you get, the more you have that you want to fit in. Always too busy working up to now, but even now there seem to be even more demands on my time than there were before. Not complaining however. Good luck to your Tom with his finals. It’s a nerve racking time for them I know. Hope you keep posting, we all catch up with each other at some point no matter where on the globe we are. Happy fasting.

Hi Tom Mantis. I hope it doesn’t go quiet on here because I only just joined today and wanted some support!

Hi Cyprus lady. Well it’s just more quiet than it used to be, that’s all it is. I see there are still a lot of posters so no need to worry. This is a great place for support as we’ve all found out. People come and go, and for each one that leaves another takes their place. Hope it’s going well for you.

Hi, Toms, Hermaj- I felt it too, but maybe Spring will wake us up! Miss hearing from you both!

I have to admit, I’ve been pretty much toast for the last few weeks.

Hermaj, hope you’ve gotten over your bug and how close are you to finishing your studies?

Toms- I am starting Birdsong, due to you.

xxP

Thanks for goading me into action, piper. And hello again, toms.

The bug still hovers and during the day I’m able to work and generally function normally, but at night I cough like some old down-and-out. Funny, when I was a smoker I never coughed. Now, not having lit up for 12+ years I’m turning it into an art form.

I did manage to catch up with my dissertation supervisor and I’m glad I made the effort, it was a fun meeting and a lot of ideas were bounced around. I’m still not quite sure precisely which way I’m going to go with the dissertation, but 1930s French cinema will almost certainly figure. As for the question re what stage I’m at with the MA. I’m now in the home straight. No more regular classes no more essays, no more research projects, all that remains is the 15,000-word dissertation to be delivered at the end of September. But it carries more marks than any of the rest of the course and has to be good.

I endorse toms’s recommendation of Birdsong. It was the first book by Sebastian Faulkes I read and although it’s an early one I think it is almost certainly his best. If you enjoy it, which I’m sure you will, try to get hold of Charlotte Grey, which is about World War II and features some of the characters from Birdsong.

Hi Piper, hope things are going well for you. Agree with Hermaj re Birdsong and Charlotte Grey. I know I miss USA’s posts as she was so very prolific, hopefully, she will be back after her training is finished. Also Rocky Romero used to post a lot. You kind of get used to people and miss them when they disappear! Maybe some people just get bored. There is a limit to how much can be said about most things. Anyway, coughing? Don’t get me started! Cos once I do I can’t stop. And have had the worst sore throat I’ve ever had. Be glad when it clears up. I always seem to be moaning these days, getting on my own nerves! I haven’t fasted for a few weeks, but back on track tomorrow. Fast well, everyone.

Hi toms,

Thought I’d track you down to let you know that I and now nearly-6ft and seriously hunky great-nephew finally got to see War Horse on Saturday. Wow! We both loved it. As I said to him after I’d been reduced to blubbing during the finale of Act 1 – the cavalry charge – “Art that leaves you feeling like you’ve been punched in the gut has got to be good!” I’m delighted to say he understood exactly what I meant. Despite occasional moments of sitting with hoodie up and scowling (“I’m 15 and I hate everybody!”) as teenagers go, he’s more than OK, incredibly wise for his age and great company.

It was a great day out with an extra bonus in the evening. OH met us at our local tapas bar where sitting at the next table was your actual Doctor Who, Peter Capaldi, who lives around here. Young Sir was totally gob-smacked and promptly texted his two best mates to tell them he was in the illustrious presence.

We were joined on Sunday by mum and the little fella, now 5 and at school, doing well and reading for himself. Still enjoyed me reading him Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny at bedtime, though. He’s getting to be quite a character, just like the little girl with a little curl in the middle of her forehead – when he’s good he’s very, very good but when he’s bad he’s horrid, or to paraphrase, a right little bugger!

Hope all is well with you. Are you still swimming? I’m in the final straight of the MA and now working on my dissertation, plus the day job has got rewardingly busy. Still doing the 5:2 and continuing to lose, albeit very slowly.

It would be great to hear from you. xx

Hi Hermaj! So glad you both enjoyed Warhorse. Funnily enough I thought about posting to you this morning, but decided against it – didn’t want you thinking I was stalking you!! Don’t post much these days, but check in a couple of times a week. Great news about your 5 year old and his reading habit. Well, good to hear that you are on the final strait for your masters, hope all goes well. Have been really busy on allotment, go most days and once I’m there don’t want to come home. Just found out am to be a nana again! Can’t wait. As for fasting, have ditched it today. Should have been fasting yesterday but we postponed it to today but have failed. Better luck Thursday. Don’t seem to be losing weight lately, but hopefully will pick up soon.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply.