What now?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FlemishCurves 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• I have reached my target weight loss after 4 months of classic 5:2 dieting.
    The food regime used during this period has effected a fundamental change in my general food intake with more fruit and veg and less meat and dairy.
    My weight level is now at a plateau level of 76 kilos having started at 82 kilos. There is a corresponding change in my BMI and my waist measurement now lies below half my height. It appears that I do not now require fast days, at least not two per week anyway. The question is should fasting continue just because of the ‘feel good’ factor or is this now the time to say ‘goodbye and thanks for all the fish’?

First of all, congratulations on reaching your goal! Well done!

Well, that’s a hard question to answer for someone else. I myself am not at maintenance yet, but I fully intend to stay at 5:2 or go to 6:1 when I reach my goal.

It all depends on what your goals are. I think the additional health benefits of IF are definitely enough for me to keep going for the rest of my life.

If you only did it for weight loss, it depends on your personality. I myself would probably end up with a caloric intake that slowly creeps up again if I stop rebooting my digestive system once or twice a week so just to be sure, I won’t even try to stop fasting.

What you could do is, if you don’t see yourself fasting your whole life, is trying to live without it, being very mindful of how much food you take in and monitor whether you can be trusted without that 3000 calorie deficit every week (I know I couldn’t). Maybe log your calories a few days a month, just to keep you on your toes. If you notice you’re gaining the weight back, maybe go back to a 6:1. Or fast a few times a month instead of every week.

There is a weight maintenance category on this forum, maybe that is a good place to do some snooping, see if you find some help: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/forum/body/weight-maintenance/

In the same way that finding a good routine whilst fasting is key, reinventing your routine once you reach your weight goal is a similar challenge. You will probably find your happy/healthy medium through trial and error.

So, in short, I myself wouldn’t stop fasting but if you’re tired of it, maybe you could try it, and see how it goes for you. But if fasting makes you feel good, there is no real reason to stop, it seems.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.