What is normal for feed day?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
What is normal for feed day?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  hmg76 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

• Hi all. I have been over weight for the last 5 years. I use to be 85kg and 186cm tall. I’m now 116kg and 186cm tall. I picked up a bunch of weight since moving out of my parents home and not playing sports.

I started the fast diet yesterday and tried not to eat anything all day and have heaps of water. I only lasted to 4pm and had some strawberries which lasted me to this morning. I jumped on the scales and I have lost 1kg already which is probably all water weight.

My question is – What’s normal food? I was told not to eat any carbs or sugars (except fruit) by a dietitian as they stop you from losing fat around your waist. On this diet anything (in moderation) goes on feed days. Please see my proposed consumption for my first feed day today.

Breakfast – 2 fried eggs (180 calories)
    Lunch – subway steak and cheese sandwich (360 calories)
    Dinner – wrap with duck lettuce cucumber and BBQ sauce (407 calories)
    Snacks – latte (200 calories) strawberries
    1.5l of water.

Please let me know whether this is considered a normal intake and whether I should (not will) lose weight eating like this?

On your fast day you can eat around 600 calories. On your normal day 2400 (in presuming your male). IM not sure you will keep it up if you limit calories every day.

Thanks for your reply ljc101. Having spent the last 2 years unsuccessfully on chicken breast and salad I think a Subway steak and cheese sandwich is a good trade. I’m just questioning whether my proposed intake is ok?

So really I can eat whatever I want as long as stay below my 2400 calories. Even if its all sugar or carbs?

Oh God lui789 your post made me chuckle. The answer is no, no, no. Fasting, whatever way you choose to do it is more about a lifestyle change, re-educating yourself and your body. Treat yourself on one of the normal days by all means but if you really want to lose weight you need to keep below 2400 but that doesn’t necessarily mean living on chicken breast and salad.

Looking at your menu above, you could make some small changes that will have a big impact. For example:

Fried eggs – lose the fat and have poached, boiled or scrambled eggs.

Subway steak & cheese sandwich, is that a reduced fat one? Make your own sandwiches using wholemeal bread. I’ll bet you’ll feel hungry again around an hour after a Subway sandwich.

A wrap with duck and bbq sauce. One wrap? Will that really fill you? How about adding a huge pile of vegetables.

Latte – 200 cals. Have you any idea what you could eat for 200 cals?

Looking at your menu you are of course under 2400 calories but you haven’t factored in other drinks. Will it be just water, will there be smaller snacks? To be honest, the above would be okay as a treat but I don’t think you are doing yourself any favours. Your menu is loaded with sugar, carbs and fat and the sugar and carbs alone are going to turn on your hunger switch. To be honest, if you eat in a similar vein on other normal days you may lose a little weight but definitely not a substantial amount. Try looking at more effective weighs of not only enjoying your food but filling yourself up. Sorry if I’ve been blunt.

LOL, I just read this again and realised that in the last sentence I used used ‘weighs’ instead of ‘ways’. Now I wonder why my brain did that?

Yeah but in the book it says you can eat whatever you want. Why would I want to make the diet hard by adding food that I don’t like.

Not suggesting you make it hard, I’m just suggesting that there are much better and healthier ways of filling yourself up. Look, I’m not one to preach. I could quite easily eat and enjoy the food you’ve listed above but would I stop there? Probably not. I’d feel peckish so I’d have a bag of crisps, oh and then there’s the biscuit tin. A small bar of chocolate won’t hurt…ad infinitum. If you want to maintain weight, the 5:2 and the above kind of eating plan might work. If you want to lose it, you may be doomed. Of course, you may prove me wrong, in which case I’ll have a double burger & fries 🙂

Thank you for your response anian. You are being very blunt in terms if what I’m doing wrong which is fine but,not giving much to go by in terms of practical help.

I guess what I’m struggling with is that dr m said in his book you can eat anything. No one is being very clear as to what anything is. Which was my first question what is eating normal? To me that is eating anything within your 2400 calories. What I don’t get is that all this doesn’t really add up. Its being sold as eat what you want for 5 days and diet for 2 days. But now you are telling me its diet 5 days and extreme diet 2 days???? I’m understanding you correctly? I’m not trying be a smartass, I’m just trying to understand it all. I appreciate your help!

I can honestly tell you that a 6″ subway is enough to fill me up on either lunch or dinner.

@lui789,If that menu is what you feel comfortable with at the moment, than I think your doing well.
    You still have some room for one or two pieces of fruit, i’d say.

On your fast days you will need more than a few strawberries.
    Think salad, some tuna, an orange., some yoghurt, a hard boiled egg… stuff like that, in the book and on this site are great tips as to what to eat.
    600 calories is your “budget” on a fastday for a male.

By the time you get more at ease with the program, you might want to take a closer look at your non fastday menu.
    See if you can come up with a bit more variety, maybe trying some different foods. Sneak in a bit more fresh and healthy things and perhaps try your hand at cooking a meal yourself, a simple vegetable soup with some currypaste from a jar and some coconutmilk from a tin added…hey presto, indian currysoup! Little salad at the side, fresh breadroll…
    Just to give you an idea

I actually just calculated your non fastday intake…man! If you really do not take any cals. in from drinks, goodness, eat man eat!!! 😉

2600 cals. of mainly healthy food.

Jannine thank you so much for your advice. I like making thai and indian curries but absolutely hate soups! Could you please explain to me why you would eat or drink a soup rather than eating a nice curry or some roast and veggies? The food that’s being recommended is the exact reason why I keep failing diets. I can’t eat like that… I know I was allowed 600 calories but thought I could make it a whole day without food or at least that was the plan. Lol

Yeah most of my calories are consumed in drinks with coffee milkshakes hot chocolates beer wine juice and soda. I thought if I replace them with water and no snacks I should be fine. I agree that I should add some fruits during the day.

please confirm the following. No matter what I eat will I lose weight if I don’t go over the 2400 calories mark and do my fasts to the book?

You’re right. I haven’t given you any ideas. Let’s start again. Where did the 2400 calorie figure come from? I’m guessing you are a young man. You say you’ve stopped playing sport, are you relatively active otherwise? Have you checked you tdee?

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

You can of course eat what you like on normal days as long as you stay within the limit you’ve set yourself to lose weight. I’m not being critical of you by any means. I’m simply trying to help you understand that this whole thing is a lifestyle change for us all. I agree with the Jannine that to have at least got through one fast day is great, at least you know you can do it. Some people choose to do a complete fast, only water, others choose to have some food up to the value of 500/600 calories. Neither am I dissing your choice of food, believe me, I had samosas, onion bajees and a piece of cake the other day, all because I thought what the hell, it’s a feed day. I’m more than happy to give you ideas, we all are. If you prepare meals for yourself there are recipes that we can give you. If you prefer ready made that’s fine. Do add fruit and vegetables if you can.

It’s really much better to increase your protein on normal days, protein is much more filling than carbs and sugar. Just look around the forums and you’ll get more idea. 🙂

I suppose the fast diet will only work if we are sensible on non fast days as I don’t think eating half a dozen jam doughnuts, steak or battered fish and chips, or a load of biscuits would cut it on those days and probably spoil all our hard work! Funnily enough I seem to have stopped craving these things and managing to stay on about 2000 cals, maybe less. I feel fuller by eating more protein and only having the odd sweet treat, so maybe that’s why.

Ok so my TDEE is 2630 and my BMR is 2100. I’m not active at all I try and go for walks at night and I play tennis in summer. I want a diet where I don’t have to be stuck eating healthy food all day every day. Yes I want a lifestyle change in terms how I look and how active I am but I don’t want to be stuck on soups and salads. The fasting part of the diet is what improves your health from what I read in the book.

My calorie intake for today was 1150. Which is 1000 calories less than what I’m allowed according to my bmr.

Ignore BMR for now. That’s the amount of calories your body burns if you sit doing nothing all day apparently. Your total TDEE is 2667 calories. If you reduce that to 2400 calories on non-fast days for 5 days a week and only eat 600 calories for 2 days a week, yes you will lose some weight. If your calorie intake remains consistently low, this will have the opposite effect of what you want.

Fasting helps the body heal and yes, if allowed to go into starvation mode the body will start using stored fat. If you like milkshakes, make your own smoothies with low fat milk, low fat yogurt and crushed ice. I agree you don’t want to be stuck on soups and salads and you don’t need to be. I make a mean steak and philly cheese sandwich. I take my own food to work but I understand that for some it’s much less time consuming to purchase food and your Subway sandwich actually isn’t that bad 🙂 Just make some small changes, don’t necessarily deny yourself anything. And increase your calories to no less than 2000 at present.

Lui789, By all means make yourself a roast and curry! I thought by reading a sample of your menu that you did not cook at all, therefor I wanted to come up with something very simple.

I really think you don’t have to make it any more difficult.
    Stay under 2600 cals. (but not too much, the idea is that you eat according to your daily needs 5 days a week…and enjoy it too:-) ) And on the fast days keep to the 600 cals. Or fast completely if you are more comfortable with that.

Although it is not something to repeat all too often…I ate fish and chips last weekend, danish cake for desert and some chocolate later in the evening.
    Still I weighed in at a kilo less yesterday.

Really I think you are already on track. Add a bit more fruit and some vegetables (cooked in your curry for example if salads do not appeal to you)

All you need now is a bit patience and maybe walk 15 min. to and from work by parking the car a bit further or taking an earlier stop if traveling by bus or something.
    My husband is doing that now. He works 5 days a week, so he sneaked in half an hour extra walking for 5 days a week with only a little adjustment.
    Add a swim once a week or a bike ride during the weekend and you are well on your way.

Most of all, enjoy the journey otherwise it will become a chore and that’ll make it hard to stick with, which would be a shame for it is truly an amazing program.

Ok so you are saying I need to increase my calorie intake to 2000. In doing so I should introduce some homemade/natural/fresh/healthy alternatives. So if I only consume 1000 calories per day I will go into starvation mode? Is starvation mode good or bad? I know you lose muscle in starvation mode.

FYI – I have had all the meals I planned to have today and I’m not hungry at all. I’m pretty satisfied in terms of cravings and so on. Didn’t feel like a diet at all. I think I’ll be able to keep this up.

Hi Lui789 – I hope it will all become easier for you but remember – eating whatever you want on non-fast days means “anything” not “everything”
    You do need to exercise, and try to be really honest with counting calories at the start
    I counted for the first 4 weeks now just play it by ear on nonfast days (fast days are water only, 40 hours fron dinner day 1 to lunch day 3 twice a week – BELIEVE ME IT’S EASY after you try it)

Jannine I apologize if my first msg was rude I kinda felt bad because you have been very helpful and I was scared my tone was taken the wrong way. I do enjoy cooking but my favorite is to BBQ especially now that its almost summer. I did make it sound like don’t cook which is the case most week days. I’m in sales so the car goes where I go but I guess I could park further away from customers office and make a walk of it. I have a bike which I’ll start using once the weather clears up. Thank you so much you have been very encouraging especially since I wasn’t confident with what I was doing. I am sure that I’m on the right track for now.

Vicki that’s hardcore!!! 40 hrs on water only that’s impressive. I only lasted 20 hours and I was in some pain (headache and cramps).

Hi Lui789, don’t worry, I did not feel you were rude to me at all!
    If you meant to, shame on you.
    If you did not mean to, well no harm done.
    I did read your message again, but can really not find anything offensive in your post.

Anyway good luck and enjoy your BBQ. even without salads,hehe!
    (vegetarian speaking here)

I agree that normal is not well explained. If we all knew what normal was, we wouldn’t probably have been looking for a diet in the first. Great that some people are having success though.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply.