What best to eat when breaking a 24h fast?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Purple Vegie Eater 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• It is my 3rd week with this eating life style. I did a 5:2 for the first week, 4:3 for the second, and am on my 2nd fasting day this week. While in the beginning I tried to just “not eat in the evening” I naturally transitioned to a 24h fast, at the end of which I’d have my 400-500 calories meal.

On Monday, I thought I’d break my fast with a tomato and cucumber salad (no dressing only a pinch of salt.) I threw up. It was horrible.

When my stomach calmed down, I very carefully had a berry smoothie, and two pieces of cinnamon toast (didn’t have any regular toast at home). I couldn’t even look at the two eggs that I had boiled to eat after my salad. That evening I had a little big of plain yogurt, without feeling sick.

I’m at 22 hours now, planning to eat my 500 calories in about 1-2 hours. Nothing appeals to me. I’m thinking some yogurt and plain toast. Maybe a berry / spinach smoothie. I’m nervous about throwing up.

Do you think it was the salt that made me throw up?

What is the best food to break the fast with?

Watermelon. Blueberries with a little heavy cream. Strawberries. Pine apple slices fresh. Grapes. Fresh mango.

I’m not real big on breaking fasts with vegetables for some reason I just don’t care for the taste.

Green smoothies seem to be a bit of a rage right now. I personally can not stand them. Fresh fruit is best for me. Also ensure you continue to get enough water.

I don’t really worry about re-feeding unless I’ve water fasted for more than 3 days. Then I’ll have 1 meal of fresh fruit for each day of fasting. So for a 5 day fast I’d have 5 meals of fruit.

Mashed banana with heavy cream is quite nice and digestible to break a fast. Grated Apple too. But I like scrambled eggs, much nicer post fast than hard boiled.

Forgive me for asking the obvious but if you’re not hungry why don’t you continue fasting until you are?

You’ll lose weight quicker and you won’t have this dilemma.

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I think I’ll do well on fruits.

Pot-bellied Heron: I wasn’t hungry, but I felt like I had to eat something, if this makes sense. I feel a little weaker by the end of the 20-22 hours, and I have kids to take to activities and such, so I don’t want to be driving in the evening, with little kids, while I’m feeling a little bit off. I guess if I could stay home and relax at the end of the day, I could continue.

165GW, I’m curious why you threw up or that you are concerned about doing things, like driving, after a 24 hour fast. Humans have evolved to go for regular periods with little or no food and are geared to be alert and active when hungry so that they can find food.
    Eating fruit (berries are an exception) is not ideal as they will give you a bloodsugar spike. Toast will too. Avoid the white starchy carbs.
    We fast for 24 hours twice a week, have for some years now and usually end it in a leafy salad and a small portion of smoked or fresh fish. A small amount of natural full fat yoghurt, blueberries and almonds for “dessert” is a nice finish. Well under 500 calories and enough to allow a good night’s sleep.
    All the best with your journey.
    PVE

Purple Vegie Eater: I do wonder if it is all in my head. I grew up thinking that I needed to eat every 3-4h to keep my energy up. However, at the end of 24 hours I do *not* feel alert and active. I don’t feel horrible either, but definitely not as alert as after a light salad with a bit of protein.

Not sure why I threw up, it hasn’t happened since. I wonder if it was related to the flavoured green tea that I was also drinking. It wasn’t my favourite, but it was a gift and I’ve had it for a while, so I thought I’d just finish it up. I just tossed the rest of it today, because I made myself another cup and couldn’t stand it.

You’ve hit the nail on the head in my book. Green tea definitely makes me nauseous when fasting, but fine with food. PVE

Ha ha, well I live on green tea while fasting – Twinings gingerbread green tea is my current favourite, but each to their own 🙂

There is quite a lot of info online about how to break a fast, but a 24 hour fast seems sufficiently short not to need any special treatment.

I know I had to work up gradually to a 24 hr fast. Perhaps you just tried to run before you could walk?

Good point Happy.
    Try splitting your fast day cals by having a hardboiled egg wrapped in lettuce at about 3pm. P

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.