WHAT ABOUT THE CARBS??

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  SLamps 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• CARBS (?)

Hello everyone!

I’ve been Reading about this fast diet and i’m feeling motivated to start! However, I have doubts in what comes to the CARBS. The only diet that ever worked for me was one based on the Atkins diet, but a little bit modified, less restrictive. Anyway, it is basically excluding the carbs (except for dark bread at breakfast) like rice, pasta, potatoe, etc… It was not that difficult because it allowed one day a week for pause, in which we can eat everything we want! So the system is 6:1.
    It really worked for me and everyone else I know and the average of weight loss is 4kg (8,82 lbs) per month. In this diet, the calories doesn’t matter that much, comparing to the carbs. What we had to pay attention to were the carbs and not the calories, because what makes us lose weight is the ketogenic state we enter in (fat burn due to the non existence of carbs in our body).
    My problem is that it’s hard for me to have only one day I can eat what I want because I usually have dinners, parties, and it’s hard to coordinate all of it into one day, so… I gained all the weight again. I was with 57kg before doing it and ended up with 51/52 kg (depending on the days…), in more or less ONE MONTH.

With this fast diet, my doubts are: SHOULD WE PAY ATTENTION ONLY TO THE CALORIES OR TO THE CARBS AS WELL? And this question goes either to the fast or non fast days. And, if we eat carbs only in fast days (to have more energy and so on), not eating them at the other 5 days won’t make that much difference, once we need more or less 6 followings days with no carbs to enter that ketogenic state. If we interrupt the non-carb system twice a week (in the fast days), we will always be interrupting the ketogenic state, not taking any advantages from it…
    So, what to do? Does anyone know something about this…?

I am 1,55m (508ft more or less, I guess…) and weigh 57kg.
    I want to lose 6/7 kgs, so I will weigh 51, 52kg again.
    CAN I EXPECT IT IN MORE OR LESS ONE MONTH WITH THIS FAST DIET OR IS IT SLOWER?

Thank you so much for your help!
    (I’m sorry if it was already discussed here, I didn’t find…)

I don’t know if I should add that I’m 21 years old girl and very lazy for exercise! What doesn’t mean I can’t or won’t do it. I do it, if I have to, no problem… if it will help me lose weight faster in this diet.

Hi Ines and welcome:

This subject has been and is being discussed on this forum constantly. I suggest you look around to get a feel for the vast amount of information that is on this site.

5:2 is calorie based, not type of food based.

Current research suggests that a low carb diet is more healthy than a high carb diet, especially if you are eating processed carbs. You can combine 5:2 with low carb, but it is not necessary.

The average weight loss on 5:2 over time is about a pound a week. You can lose water weight more quickly at the start.

Here is most of the information you will need to succeed with 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/. The thread contains much information, including many clinical studies.

Good Luck!

I found that when I was trying to lose weight with the Fast Diet I was so focussed on what I could eat and how I could maximise the nutrients whilst minimising the calories that my carbohydrate intake dropped considerably anyway. An egg, a rasher of bacon and a tomato make a low calorie breakfast but add a piece of toast and you haven’t got many more calories to spend that day. The knock on effect then, as you probably know from the Atkins diet, is that the fewer carbs you eat, the fewer you crave.

I’m now lighter than I was when I was at school (I’m in my 50’s now) and not following the Fast Diet religiously but I still eat far fewer carbs than before. I used to have a very sweet tooth and could never refuse cake. Nowadays I would happily munch through an apple than have a horrid sickly sweet cake!

So I would say focus on calories, reduce your intake of carbs but ensure any that you eat are in foods packed with lots of fibre and nutrients.

I lost about 1-2lb a week on the diet. As my weight dropped I had to reduce my calorie intake as my body’s requirement dropped too. You have a relatively small amount to lose but it could take you a bit longer than a month. You could go a fair way in that time, especially if you exercise. Have you seen the Canadian Women’s Air Force exercises? They give you a gradual build up to a 10 minute a day workout. I was a couch potato but these exercises have kept me basically fit without too much effort and I now walk and row everyday too. Google it if you are interested – there seems to be quite a lot on the web about it and there is a book on it too.

I hope that all helps
    Good luck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.