Weight loss worked but hit plateau

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Weight loss worked but hit plateau

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi folks,

I started the 5:2 diet back in August and have gone from 104kg down to 91kg, I was very pleased with how it was going and couldn’t believe how easy losing weight was.

I have hit a plateau now though where the weight won’t go below 90.5 and usually bounced within 1kg around that. However I havd noticed that clothes continue to fit better and my asthma (which was quite severe) is almost completely gone.

Could anyone provide advise? I’m going to join the gym this week to help burn extra calories. I know people say plateaus can last weeks or in some cases longer, do I have to do something different to kick start weight loss again or will it start eventually again itself?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chrissmash,

Don’t beat yourself up your doing really well. Maybe you should vary your food your eating. Just joined this forum. Going to measure myself. Weighed myself yesterday am now the heaviest I have ever been 14 stone or nearly 90 kg. I am 5 foot 4. My boyfriend can eat anything. I have been trying to keep up with him. Now I will need to start dieting as I hate being fat.
    Keep up the good work.

Ruthybabe64

Hi both, plateus are totally normal and please don’t lose heart just because you hit one. The improvement in your asthema is almost definitely a result of the fasting period itself (14 hours or more will give you the IGF-1 effect and help with a multitude of physical ailments and issues). The weight loss is partly helped by the fasting period I’m sure but mainly the weight loss aspect of 5:2 is a happy side-effect of ‘accidental’ calorie reduction.

There’s not enough to go on in your post but if you started out sticking to your calorie limits on fastdays and eating ‘normally’ on non-fastdays, without actually looking at what ‘normal’ is for you and how it equates to your actual recommended TDEE (???) then you may need to pay some extra attention to your non-fastday calorie intake. Don’t worry, you don’t have to go all crazy calorie counter about it but you do need to be eating no more than your recommended TDEE if you want to lose weight and perhaps a couple of hundred kcal or so less if you want to shift it faster.

Also, as you lose weight do bear in mind that that weight loss also reduces the recommended TDEE number, so as you lose weight you should be paring down your calorie intake on non-fastdays gradually too. If you want to be sure of continuing to lose weight (albeit gradually towards the end) then you could work out the TDEE of your ‘goal’ weight (rather than your current weight) and as long as that ‘end’ TDEE is more than your ‘current’ BMR then you can just use that as your non-fastday intake guideline.

Aside from the diet, don’t lose heart if exercise doesn’t push you to continue to lose weight. For many people a bit of extra exercise (as long as they don’t increase their calories to compensate) WILL help push through a plateau. BUT…. that doesn’t work for everyone. Personally, exercise has never done anything but marginally put ON weight for me. I’m currently in a plateau which started in spring, when I upped my exercise level by 400%. It WILL pass eventually I’m sure but if it does it will be the 5:2 aspect that does it (for me) not the exercise.

Check out the threads – there’s loads of good starting info for newbies on here.

Best of luck to you both

Hi chris and welcome:

Here are some tips: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Number 3 addresses plateaus.

Good Luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.