Weight gain after fast day

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Weight gain after fast day

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• My friend and hubby are doing this diet with me. We all weighed in after a fast day and I lost nothing, and they gained a lb! Any thoughts to why?

TIA!

Hi nc:

If you scout around this site you will read that weight loss is not consistent, and at times people on a diet will actually gain weight. It is common, because the body retains water and food in transit and releases them when it wants. People that weigh daily, and or the day after a diet day expecting some sort of large weight loss, are often disappointed.

Likewise, people often have elevated expectations of how much they will lose. People that water fast – don’t eat any food at all – will lose between a half a pound and a pound of fat a day. People that eat on their diets will lose less. At the start of a diet it is not uncommon for a person to lose several pounds quickly, but that weight loss is not fat weight, it is water weight and food in transit loss. If they do lose weight quickly at the start, they often quit the diet when the rate of loss slows down to the common loss of about a pound a week, thinking the diet is not working any more.

This will illustrate a common weight loss pattern: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/

Good Luck!

When you dramatically reduce your calorie intake, you will lose weight. But it can also cause all kinds of health problems, including muscle loss. Not only do most people regain weight lost on a fast, they tend to add a few extra pounds because a slower metabolism makes it easier to gain weight.

This just happened to me too. Been on the diet for a few months. Lost a bunch of weight to start with and then a solid 2lbs every week, but this week gained a pound. Lost 17lbs overall. Can’t think what I have done differently and it is so disheartening. On fast days I have a couple of cups of tea with sweetener for breakfast, water all day and then about 380 calories in the evening. Will see what happens next week but if it’s bad news again am wondering whether to switch to water only.

Sometimes I find there is a ‘lag’ between when you ate and when the gain/loss registers on the scale. Sometimes it is 2 days later.
    Hang in there and do not be discouraged.

bat fink, 17 pounds is nothing to be discouraged about! Stay the course.

ncsuzta, keep the faith.

Good point about the lag, I hadn’t thought about that. Looking at things overall I guess I have done well, so will try to look at the bigger picture 🙂

sometimes the body hit weight loss plateau which means number of calories eaten and number of calories burnt becomes equal or even less so that causes weight gain.

We do have to mind what we eat on Slow Days, too.

@sarah van loo “When you dramatically reduce your calorie intake, you will lose weight. But it can also cause all kinds of health problems, including muscle loss. Not only do most people regain weight lost on a fast, they tend to add a few extra pounds because a slower metabolism makes it easier to gain weight.”

Most of this is totally inaccurate. I also suspect the 5:2 forum is not the place for you, given it revolves around short term fasting.

Sarah, are you a Faster? For how long? I’ve been Fasting for 5.5 years and have more muscle now than I did then. Also the weight came off and stayed off. What is your experience?

nc, what is your latest news?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.