Weakness, fatigue, heart palpitations and TTC

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
Weakness, fatigue, heart palpitations and TTC

This topic contains 3 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Amazon 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Goodmorning everyone and wishing you a wonderful week. I have been on 5:2 for the past 3 weeks. I have already lost 2 kgs, my skin looks great and all my clothes are fitting perfectly. I have felt so free all of the other days and almost never overate because I never felt like it, instead, now that I have the choice, I find myself choosing the healthy alternatives for foods and avoiding sweets.
    But, I have some questions, I would really appreciate your help on this:
    1) After the second fast of the week I have felt very tired and weak. I litterally feel without energy at all. Do you think this is an adaptment phase that will eventually get better?
    2) I have also experienced heart palpitations, mostly the days after fasting and also increased anxiety. Do you think this too should get better in time?
    3) Also, my and DH and I have been trying to conceive. Do you believe fasting is OK? Has anyone else tried this while trying to conceive? Thank you all so much in advance. 🙂

Hi Mimitseli

Congrats on losing 2 kgs! That’s great news!

I’m not a doctor/MD so I can’t comment on the conception question, nor on the anxiety question, but I just thought I should reassure you that I sometimes get palpitations after a FD.

There are some threads here on the forum about that, but in essence it seems it can be your body reacting to a lack of readily-available sugar (glycogen stores are exhausted) and your body hasn’t re-learned how to fully burn fat as a source of energy yet.

Some of the keto sites give a ton of detail on the above – check them out.

Good luck!

I am not a doctor and highly recommend that you visit your doctor just to get checked out, particularly if you are trying to conceive. I don’t know the impact of fasting on conception or early pregnancy. Reproduction often requires all the hormones and chemicals to be at certain levels.

Heart palpitations can be very normal, they normally signify that you may have depleted your stores of electrolytes (potassium,calcium,magnesium and sodium). You need to boost these up.
    Or
    You are insulin resistant which prevents the body from accessing these minerals.
    Or your stomach acid prevents/reduces absorption of these electrolytes-such as GORDS.

I read your post and was concerned. I don’t know if there is a parallel to fasting and pre pregnancy but I have read that no one who is pregnant or breast-feeding should be fasting. Also, you didn’t say the nature of your fast but I have read that heart palpitations can indicate you have eaten too little. Water fasting of more than 48 hours are hard on our hearts and palpitations are an indication of this. It is best that you check with your doctor. I have done 48 hour water fasts without palpitations but everyone is different.

Hi,

Regarding the way you feel the day after fasting, try drinking more water on fast days and taking a little salt.

Your other concerns need to be addressed by a doctor.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.