Water weight fluctuations? How much water can a person hold anyway? infused H2O?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Water weight fluctuations? How much water can a person hold anyway? infused H2O?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  PinkQueen 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• I weigh myself daily…I know it is not the best thing to do, but it sometimes helps me stay focused on my goal. I notice weight go up and down all the time but in a downwards trend. Like a 3 lb fluctuation. It is annoying to say the least! I know I should not focus on this small thing, but I really need to vent about it because I feel like once I whine about it that maybe I will get over it for a while, lol. The good news is that I am down 10ish lbs, the bad news is that today it is 7 because I am retaining water! Does anyone think drinking fruit infused water during your fast is okay? It is right? As long as you aren’t eating the fruit then really it is too little to even affect the fasting state? I am not worried about the calories of the fruit, just that I stay in ketosis once I enter into it after fasting for 16-20 hours.

Hi Pink Queen:

The body burns some fat whenever it suffers a caloric shortfall. Most diets that reduce calories every day (like weight watchers or DASH) have a person eating several times a day but people still lose fat weight even though their ‘fasting time’ is simply when they are sleeping. So it is not necessary to fast to burn fat. You just have to eat less than your TDEE and over time you will lose fat weight.

Research shows that when a person water fasts – eats nothing at all – it takes about three days for the body to get into ketosis. See my 6 Dec 15 post on page 7 of this thread https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/ for a more detailed discussion.

So I would not worry that fruit infused water is doing any damage to your diet. As long as you are eating less than your TDEE, you are burning fat!

Good Luck!

Would it be reasonable to assume that if I am following a sort of low carb diet (under 100) carbs a day and also fasting at least 21 hours a day, every day, that I am at a low level of ketosis? I bought some ketone strips (some people object to their validity in dieting, I know) and I constantly read measure slightly under a moderate level of ketones to some ketone in urine. Now, I know some of this is from the fat that I am consuming, but it still means I am not in fat storing mode, correct? Thanks for the linked info. I started reading and stopped to respond.

EDIT to ADD:
    I want to fast longer hours for the HGC benefits and other health benefits associated with fasting, like better insulin sensitivity, etc.

Hi Pink:

“Ketosis” is a medically defined term. It means that a majority of your body’s energy is coming from fat. As I point out, it can be dietary fat or body fat. Virtually any carbs, certainly 50 to 100 g., will jolt the body out of ketosis, or prevent it from getting into ketosis.

As long as you eat less than your TDEE every day, you will not store fat over time – you will lose fat weight. The key is not the fasting for a few hours, it is the caloric restriction. That, many seem to forget, is where the ‘Fast Diet’ came from – a program on calorie restriction.

The fruit infused water would be a PR hype/con. Why are you drinking it? Read the label, how much sugar does it contain? Its just sugar water and most likely dropping you out of ketosis. My wife suffers from hypo glycaemic episodes. Her BG was 1.9mmol/L the other day (dangerously low, normal is 3.9-5.9). She had half a glass of orange juice and within 2 minutes her BG had spiked to 3.6mmol/L. It would be preferable to have carbs with lots of fibre like veggies

No, no, I make my own fruit flavored water.

I would be very surprised if drinking sugar water (regardless of whether its home made or not) wouldn’t drop you out of ketosis. You have squeezed the juice out of the fruit so Im assuming the fibre is now missing, so all you have left is fructose + water. Im not saying don’t have it but if your aim is to stay in ketosis then the sugar water isn’t going to keep you in ketosis.

…and the fructose will be stored straight into your liver. If you want to flavour water, try some slices of cucumber, mint leaves, lemon slice and a splash of chilled Earl Grey tea. Very summery.

As usual I have to disagree a bit with Simcoeluv about his statement “The key is not the fasting….but the caloric restriction”. If this is so, why fast? You can drop your calories with Weight Watchers or other diets that for some might be less “painful”.

The point is that we are both restricting calories AND fasting, which changes more dramatically the way your various enzymes/liver/blood sugar etc work. You are adding ketogenic dieting as a third string. A Keto diet changes these enzymes etc too and seems to have other benefits in terms of metabolism, long term energy sources and muscle building. There’s no need to be in ketosis on this diet, but it can improve the blood tests, speed things up and help you not to overeat on non fast days, as the higher fat and protein will keep you feeling full. You often have more energy on a Keto diet too. Many people whose bodies are accustomed to burning ketones go into ketosis in about 16 hours, not needing the normal average of 3 days. Pretty interesting stuff, I think, though the techniques work without us getting too far into the science!

Hi Apricot:

You seem to misunderstand and mischaracterize the issue. When talking about 5:2, we are talking about ‘severe calorie restriction’. For two days a week, people eat 75% or fewer calories than normal. It is totally unlike weight watchers or any other every day reduced calorie diet. The life extension program that led to popularizing 5:2 dealt with severe calorie restrictions – a man that had eaten 1900 cal. a day for years, 4 day water fasts, Varady’s ADF diet (25% of normal calories every other day) and mice that were fasted for 16 hours a day (human equivalent of 4/5 day water fasts). It is in that context I suggest the benefits come from calorie restriction, not time between meals.

Do you have any clinical studies that show that eating one 500 cal. meal per day provides material health benefits over eating 500 cal. in more than one meal per day? Varady’s research finds there is no difference. I would be very interested in seeing any studies you may have!

I just did my first day and I am not keen on water but my daughter gave me some water with a touch of fruit.I drank 2litres that day and this morning i discovered that it wasn’t sugar free. 50 calories for 250mls! EEEk. I’m off today to try to buy the sugar free variety and see if I can drink that. Meanwhile i have ordered some food flavourings from Lakeland stores that I will put in ordinary bottle water. 0cals. Honestly thewriting is so small on the label I missed the 0of the 50.

I have to ask but why do you need to have the water tasting sweet? Personally I don’t even have zero cal sweeteners. Our brain has been conditioned over centuries to associate sweetness with “that must be OK to eat”. It is hard wired into us and is a good survival instinct. Trouble is in the modern western world it works against us. When you have an artificial sweetener you brain is tricked into registering that you have just ingested calories. When the calories do not arrive your brain goes WTF happened to the calories I was expecting to receive?? Your desire to fulfil that expected calorie hit means you will most likely seek calories as a result of ingesting that artificial sweet drink. Short story, by drinking artificially sweetened drinks you make your task of doing 5:2 harder than it should be as you actively go looking for calories. Don’t think multinational food companies know this concept? Look at the number of obese people that drink artificially sweetened drinks. Its not working for them is it.

If you must flavour your water try lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to give it a tartness rather than a sweetness.

selkie, are you familiar with the work of Dr. Jason Fung on insulin and obesity? He writes that the insulin reaction is triggered in the same way for zero calorie sweeteners as for sugar. The mouth recognizes sweetness and sends an insulin response trigger to the brain. Calories are not the issue. Try mint leaves, cucumber slices…if you must flavor water.

For the first time today, I tried cinammon in my coffee to replace the small amount of sugar I use. Still not crazy about it but I’m going to experiment. Cinammon has so many good properties that it’s worth adding it to my diet.

Seems I still am learning the way around the forum. Just now reading all the responses.
    bigbooty: I sometimes use a few slices of cucumber or a few blueberries to give the water some flavor. I also sometimes use a sprinkle of powdered lime or lemon, not much. After much though I doubt it adds anything over a few calories.
    selkie: please stay away from artificial sweeteners, just bad news.
    k-lo: I love cinnamon in my coffee, just getting the powder to incorporate is always hard.
    Hope I didn’t miss anything. Oh, and about the calorie restriction disagreement, it is merely the issue of a traditional caloric restriction diet being very different than an IF diet. Where IF is always caloric-restricted diet, a caloric-restricted diet is not always IF. I think that is why you can not use them interchangeably and say that CR is at the heart of 5:2. Semantics?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.