Vision Probelms! Help?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  scotrodg 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hiya,

So I’m a complete newbie. Today was my first fast day, I didn’t eat anything all day, just drank alot of water and green tea until now (8.30pm) when I had a vietnamese Innocent veg pot with a little bit of rice for my tea. Half way through eating my vision started to blur quite badly and I was seeing a lot of moving lights in front of my eyes. Is this normal/to be expected on the first day when I’m not used to it. Or should I be concerned? I also have a bad headache!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Gemma

Hello gemmalouisenorth. Welcome to the forum and let me say you are now being supported by possibly the best bunch of people from around the world. In relation to your comments concerning your vision and headache I have to tell you that almost every one who posts on this site are not medically qualified to answer your question. The reaction you have had may or may not be as a result of your first 5:2 diet experience. I would suggest you seek medical advice as soon as you can.
    You also have to understand the aims of fasting. They are not just for losing weight, there are inner health benefits as Michael mentions in his explanation of this way of life. As a newbie please read his book, read the faq links on the top right of this page. More importantly get an understanding of why you want to do this, understand the type of food you need to eat on a fast day and understand you can come back to this site whenever you want and ask for advice and support. You will get it.
    Good luck.

The moving lights could be linked to your headache (have you ever had a migraine?), but as Couscous says we’re not medically qualified to say that’s what it is or isn’t.

Thanks for your help, I will call the doctor in the morning just to be safe 🙂

it sounds suspiciously like a migraine. Are you prone to headaches? Let us know what the dr says.

I suffer with what’s called Migraine with aura’s which is basically flashing lights sometimes with and sometimes without a banging headache.
    I know if I go without food for a long period of time it happens, so on my first fasting days I went as long as I could without food and the minute I started to get that ‘odd’ feeling I had something small, I just had a rich tea biscuit and it was enough to hold it at bay.
    You may find you’ll need to spread your 500 calories out throughout the day rather than waiting until the end of the day, I know very well that I wouldn’t be able to go to the end of the day. That’s the beauty of this though, whatever works best for you is best to do.

Hi Gemma

I suffered just the same problems after starting the 5:2. It happened to me on the days following fast days, especially if I did any sort of exercise. I even had to quit during a game of squash because I could no longer see the ball due to so much of my vision being obscured by the flashing lights.

I am now 4 weeks in and the headaches with flashing lights is no longer a problem.

Jonathan

Have been doing this now for 5 weeks and in truth the first two fast days I also had a banging headache and feeling light headed with the odd few flashing lights as if I was going to faint… but it passed and not had it since…. Gemma I would say if you get this again with another fast I would go and have a word with your GP….

Hi Gemma

I would have thought that not having anything to eat all day, consuming green tea and water would be a huge shock to the system!
    I just started at the beginning of January, so still fine tuning my calorific intake on the fast days, but going well so far, lost just over 1 stone. Would have to agree with above posts, read the book as it gives a great background on what positive effects other than weight loss this diet has for you. It is flexible enough to fit in with most folks lifestyles, I did start of with a fixed plan for my fast days, but have managed to switch things around quite easily to suit events beyond my control. Again, as above, I am not a medical professional so can only comment based on personal experience.
    Good luck.

Rodg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.