Visceral Fat

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  atcgirl 5 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• I have a general grasp of what visceral fat is but I was wondering, does visceral fat actually increase bulk? For instance, if a person, theorerically, had no body fat but a lot of visceral fat would they be ‘big’?
    Is visceral fat more or less stubborn than body fat?

As nobody seems to know I took to Google.

That wobbly fat around what was supposed to be your waist; that’s your run of the mill subcutaneous fat. That hard fat protruding between your ribcage and your belly button; that’s intra-abdominal fat, a type of visceral fat that can be a precursor or indicator of all manner of health problems. It’s not actually hard, it just feels hard because it sits behind the abdominal wall and pushes it out.

Looking back, that was the first fat I gained. Most definitely ‘thin on the outside, fat on the inside’. The good news is that visceral fat reacts well to dietary and exercise changes, especially alcohol reduction, and is therefore relatively easy to lose. So while you may still be able to grab handfuls of jelly around your middle you can still be shrinking and losing weight from the inside.

Please feel free to correct anything I have written as I have no knowledge on the subject other than what I have found online.

My subcutaneous fat doesn’t seem to be moving going anywhere even though I’ve lost about half a stone so far (currently: 36″ around my belly button, 5’4, 9 stone 8). However the measurement above my stomach (natural waist) is definitely coming down.

Hoping that the belly fat will eventually follow…..

Hi, I have got weighed on boots scales and I have body fat 40%. I weigh 8st 7lb and my BMI is 21. I am a 59year old female. I have started the 5.2 diet to lose some fat but not really weight, help!!!

Subcutaneous fat is really hard for the body to access for energy – I think the cells have less receptors than visceral fat? You can buy creams which contain chemicals which allegedly help the body access this fat as part of a diet and exercise regime…. they look expensive though. maybe cellulite cream does the same thing?

After having another rummage around the internet it seems that scientific opinion favours 30 minutes of moderate exercise (brisk walking, weights) 5 or 6 days a week combined with improvements in diet (cutting saturated fats such as coconut and palm oil, meat and dairy) to shift the most stubborn of visceral fat. On a fasting diet we should be making those dietary changes without even trying but it might be an idea to keep them in mind on feed days too.

As stated earlier, visceral fat- though far more deleterious to health- is easier to get rid of than subcutaneous fat but it won’t go away without a little nudge.

I suspect my 36″ belly measurement is down to visceral fat. Exercise isn’t easy for me so brisk walking on fast days is going to be my plan of action. Also considering treating Friday’s as a semi fast day, 24 hour zero calorie fast like I do normal fast days, (dinner to dinner) but a regular dinner instead of a 300 cal dinner (which I do Monday’s and Wednesday’s). I do more walking on a Friday afternoon, so if I can do it in the fasted state, it might help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.