Very frustrated – a vent

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Personal stories
Very frustrated – a vent

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  desperate but driven 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• I’ve started beginning of January, and don’t find it particularly testing and difficult – my dieting days are Tuesdays and Thursdays, and initially I have lost nearly 4 kgs until last week and was very pleased – but since last week, despite rigorously following through and also going skiing on a non-fast day, burning loads of calories, (skiing for nearly 7 hours without much of a break, it was too much fun), I seem to have put on weight again. I haven’t overeaten on the ‘off-days’, I just ate normal, and if anything, I ate less than ‘normal’ (which is probably just normal for most). I really don’t understand and it frustrates me enormously. I am female and I know weight fluctuates, and I also *feel* like I’ve lost weight rather than gained it again, so I really really don’t understand. I am now going to switch to 4:3, because this is just frustrating. I don’t exercise an awful lot, but I do a lot of walking with my dog and walking to and from work, so I am on my feet at least 3 hours each day, more on weekends. Other than cutting down massively on my non-dieting days, I really don’t know what to do. It screws with my head.

Have you tried measuring yourself? Muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space. Perhaps you have gained muscle but lost inches?

So you started in January and you’ve lost 4kg. I’m epically failing to see a problem here. You said it yourself, weight fluctuates, weighing yourself every single day is the single worst thing you can do if it is going to send you off into a tail spin whenever the numbers don’t ‘improve’ for a few days.

Also, exercise often hinders weight loss for some people (myself very much included, as I’m coming up on a year with no losses now, thanks to increasing my exercise by 400% last February – no skin off my nose, the toning is going very nicely. As Kate Mary says, you may find that you are losing inches rather than weight.

Basically – chill out. This isn’t a bikini diet, you’ll be doing 5:2 or fasting of some sort in one form or another for the rest of your life, so what if the scales are stubborn. Switch to weighing every couple of weeks or monthly if you want to guarantee a ‘positive’ number change. You’ll get there in the end.

Hi Tracy,

thanks for your answer. Fully aware that it’s not a bikini diet, and fully planning on doing this to maintain my weight, once I’ve lost it, for the rest of my life – I however only weigh myself once a week, as recommended, but weight has actually gone up again, not down. And that is frustrating and confusing. But all I can do is continue. I just find it confusing that the body doesn’t play along as I was hoping and expecting. I had managed to loose 2 stone three years ago with Weight Watchers and was then pretty much my ideal weight with a BMI of 22, but wasn’t able to maintain it, so now I am hoping for this. I need to take care of my mind though, as I was anorexic when I was 16 (now 32), and don’t want to fall into any of that mind set again.

There are plenty of reasons why the scales may show a gain – water retention, constipation, your period or other hormonal fluctuations… I honestly wouldn’t sweat it as 4kg in a month is really good! The trend will be altogether downwards. Unlike Tracy J I do weigh myself daily and watch my weight go up and down all week but at after my fast days its always down! A sort of 3 steps forward 2 steps back. and that’s ok with me!

Hi all,

I’m no pro at this. Just started Jan 2. When I first started was weighing myself a lot! Couldn’t help it! Was so obsessed after fast days. Then I had a couple times when u weight went up! Once by 4 pounds! This totally freaked me out as u only have lost 6 pounds total! However I fasted that day and noticed I dropped 2 pounds that day. Body shifts and plays tricks but this is not magic. It’s about burning or taking in less calories than your body is using. Period. If you stick to the 2 days and stay under your TDEEvyou will lose weight. You have to. So I stopped weighing myself so much. Please keep us posted on your progress. I totally get your frustration. Just read all these threads. It seems to work for lots of people. Hang in there! 🙂

Thanks very much for your post, very helpful, I just need to remind myself of the inevitable physics of how loosing weight and my body works to remind myself it’ll continue to go down. I will be more disciplined on my ‘normal’ days, and stay away from sugar more consistently. x

I do notice that sugar makes me starving! I seem to only want more and more!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.