Unintended Consequences

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  smarte 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• People have various reasons for adopting a fasting regime, but it seems weight loss is top of the list followed by a list of other health issues. Most of you who post regularly or who have been visiting this forum over time, are making progress toward a goal, but I’m interested in the unintended consequences.

On another thread someone mentioned spending less at the supermarket, and how little food we really need to live a healthy life. I noticed that with my new mindfulness about food I was wasting less – and food waste is one of my pet topics. I can’t imagine anyone starts fasting to save money or reduce waste, so what other unintended consequences have people had?

Yes Roba. I’m the same. Because I plan and look forward to meals I’m spending less. Plus no weekend take-out treats and fewer meals out. Due to 5:2 my skin is better so am pampering myself and taking care of my appearance more, painting nails etc. Clearing out clothes that are too big has freed up space and encouraged me to declutter quite naturally. The increased energy and vitality and self esteem help get me out and about and I’ve rediscovered my love of photography, nature and moving my body more which is good. Have more Hope for future and making plans. All this happens when I’m on track. If that’s not happening for whatever reason then these benefits are not so noticeable but they do come back thankfully. I find this way of life largely sustainable. Although successful in the past (Gold Member) Weightwatchers no longer suits me. I can’t do “angelic abstinence” 7 days a week but I can usually manage 2 fast days and have a healthy overview for the other 5. I feel I’m getting my best self back. Good luck to everyone 🙂

I am really reluctant to spend much money on clothes now.I have given so many away as I have become slimmer that I now choose to buy clothes from charity shops. I have got some lovely things and now really enjoy wearing things that are different from everyone else.

My fridge and freezer are more organized too.If there is a portion over of a meal, rather than eat it, it is boxed,labelled and frozen.

I now have a freezer drawer just for fish/prawns- my favourite fast day food.

I’m the same Annette and I love a good rake about the charity shops. It’s all good 🙂

I am also growing fruit and vegetables for the first time this year. Not a vegetable fan, but have discovered that I like french beans straight from the garden into the pan and onto my plate…yum.I had forgotten how much I like raw peas too on a salad, which was my staple on every fast day through the summer.

I started this thread ages ago and sort of forgot about it but this week I’m thinking again about the unintended consequences of fasting two days every week.

Like annette52 I grow a few vegies and I’m thinking that anything I can pick and eat on the same day doesn’t count as calories – because of the effort it took to grow. I’m in courgette (aka zucchini) excess at the moment and I like them raw, shredded, saute with butter and garlic, baked, steamed and any other which way but I still give them away to friends. I’ve got lettuce and rocket going gangbusters, peas (yes, annette, raw is best!) and lots of tomatoes, eggplant and other stuff. The apricots are days away (shoo birds) and there will be plums soon. My food bill always really dives in summer when I’m eating so much fruit and veg straight out of the garden. BUT it is time to go the Big Shop and buy the big bag 25kg of sugar that I get each year to do the jams, preserving and pickling. This year I’m thinking that bringing that huge bag of poison into the house can’t be a good idea. How else do I keep the apricots year round, and make tomato sauce?

Hi RoBa,
    I have no idea, but the thought of raw peas and sunshine….is fabulous in a chilly grey UK. I am so jealous. I love apricots and plums and tomatoes. I shall have to pretend that I can feel warm sun on my back when I do fast!

Hi annette. When I lived in UK (twenty of the best years of my life)and I got homesick I used to go to the local sport centre and have a swim and then lie in a sun bed with my head on a beach towel and have the smell of old Malibu tanning oil wafting and listen to Men At Work. It was a kind of meditation on home and summer. Sunbeds are gone, but a sauna would probably do the same trick – the smells and sounds of home were the thing.

Hi RoBa, my mum used to dry her apricots outside in the sun. Admittedly we do live in Australia but you could try that. You can buy dehydrating machines also and use them for the plums too. Good luck.
    I’m on my second week of fasting going good today. Only lost 0.5 kg last week. Doing ADF for the next 11 days to get things moving.
    Mel

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.