Type 1 Diabetics using a Pump :)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  rgibson 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• Hey 🙂

I’m 23 and a type 1 diabetic and I started using my Accuchek Combi pump 7 1/2 weeks ago. So far I’m loving it apart from one major downside. In those 7 1/2 weeks I’ve put on more than a stone in weight.
    My appointment with my consultant ended with us discussing the possibility of starting Metformin in 6 months if I still find I’m struggling with my weight. I really don’t want to have to take tablets everyday when I’ve just discovered the freedom of my pump. I’m using this as my inspiration for losing weight, and I’m going on holiday in July and want to look good in a bikini 🙂
    Has anyone with a pump got any useful tips? My first fasting day is tomorrow and I’ve read different opinions on what to do with regards to basal rates etc. I’m planning to keep things as they are as my basal rate is set on a fasting blood glucose so my logic is that I should stay pretty stable throughout the day. I’m planning to eat 3 small meals tomorrow and try to stick to around 60g carbs for the whole day.
    For some reason I’m not too concerned if I hypo whilst fasting. In my opinion my pancreas is long gone and I’m not really concerned with the health benefits the diet offers, I’m mainly looking for a sustainable diet that works and isn’t too hard to stick to. If I hypo tomorrow I’ll simply treat it as normal with a small can of Coke (around 65 calories) and not worry too much, if I can ill try to eat 65 calories less the next day.
    Also if anyone has any success stories of losing weight on the pump I would love to hear them. Before beginning my pump I was very badly controlled (my last HbA1C was 19.2) so I found my weight stayed the same or dropped quickly as I ate so badly and was taking no insulin.
    Looking forward to reading any advice/tips you have for me, I’m willing to try pretty much anything to see if this works 🙂
    Thanks, Rachel x

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply.