Total newbie here – excited to get started!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Squiggle1977 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hello all! I’ve just finished reading The Fast Diet book and feel ready to get going (although starting on Monday, obvs… you can’t really start 5:2 at the weekend, plus it’s a foodie one with an 11-course taster dinner tomorrow and chocolate afternoon tea on Sunday, oops!).

I’m a creature of habit and feel the easiest way of me coping with this “diet” is to keep my daily food routine as near normal as possible on the fast days. As it it, I always have a healthy cereal-based breakfast (Weetabix and muesli with milk, topped with fruit), a pre-prepared homemade salad/hot meal for lunch that I take to work me (same thing Mon-Fri, changing the meal each week), and 2 poached eggs on a slice of Vogel for dinner (post-gym, which I do 4-5 times a week after work).

I’m thinking on my fast days of having 50g wholewheat porridge oats made with water + 80g berries (224 cals), no lunch, an apple pre-gym (47 cal) then my usual dinner (223 cals). For snacks, if necessary, I’ll go for Hartley’s jelly (4 cal).

I’m hoping this will be sustainable and I won’t feel too faint for my gym sessions after work. I don’t get home until 8.30pm most nights so my fasting hours will be 7am-8.30pm (eek!). Is this doable?

I reckon I’ll be downing a lot of black coffee, herbal teas and water throughout the day to keep the hunger pangs / boredom at bay. Hoping I can do it… roll on Monday!

Try and get rid of one bad food choice at a time. Chocolate is a no brainer. What makes you say cereal and muesli are healthy? That is one of the biggest food cons going back to the nut case Dr Kellogg who started the whole concept. Google what he was trying to achieve by getting people to eat cereals. Very funny. Cereals are not healthy. They are highly processed. Bread is another highly processed food, way over spruiked on the health benefits. “Whole” grain cereals/breads are an advertising con. The bran is removed very early in the processing as it plays havoc with the processing equipment. It is then “put” back right at the end in products advertised as “whole” grains. Any benefit of wrapping the endosperm/germ part of the grain with fibre has long been lost. My views may appear extreme but a quick visit to the maintenance section of this forum and ask the maintainers how much cereal products they incorporate into their diets may convince you.

Good luck with it.

Do you count porridge in your condemnation of cereal?

Hi Squig and welcome:

Here are the basics – most of the 5:2 information you will need to be successful on 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Bigbooty, please explain how the processed and stripped endosperm fiber is “put” back right at the end in products advertised as “whole” grains. Any benefit of wrapping the endosperm/germ part of the grain with fibre has long been lost.”
    I wasn’t aware of a process to “rewrap the endosperm,” only of adding vitamins and minerals to be able to label it as “enriched”.

I take the view that when wheat products are advertised as “wholegrain” it is based on a very lose definition. View the term wholegrain almost like a trademark rather than an accurate description of the content. This article gives a reasonable explanation. Cant find the original article I read. I didn’t bookmark it.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/whole-grain-foods-not-always-healthful/

The best analogy I can come up with is baking a cake. If I place the individual components of a cake recipe into a bowl; the eggs, flour, sugar etc and I don’t mix the ingredients and place the mixture into the oven, the chances of that mixture turning into a great cake are slim. So if I want to advertise my product as “wholegrain” because it has perceived health benefits I need to add the germ and fibre back in. Is it really the same as the original product? So how was your wholegrain product produced? Almost impossible to know as the definition is very loose.

If you want carbohydrates locked up in fibre eat vegetables as your primary source rather than “wholegrains”.

I know Im conflating your question but this is how easy it is to confuse/mislead people with trademarking a product. People associate Weightwatchers with healthy products. I mean the whole reason that weightwatchers exists is to make people lose weight right? So any product they sell must be designed to do that right? The “healthy” muesli bar has over 36% sugar content.

https://www.catch.com.au/product/4-x-weight-watchers-choc-delight-indulgent-bar-105g-5pk-384167/?iv_=__iv_p_1_a_876727627_g_43047374094_c_205608443709_k__m__w_aud-296349592699:pla-340213159858_n_g_d_c_v__l__t__r_1o2_x_pla_y_11248162_f_online_o_384167_z_AU_i_en_j_340213159858_s__e__h_1000422_ii__vi__&gclid=CjwKCAjw2ZXMBRB2EiwA2HVD-K3bUQqVi8dvIHJpwcjfImSf_c_8t7OGWjx13JVPXOc01njVZHc40BoCI2MQAvD_BwE

@russianbluecat. Personally I try and limit my cereal intake to a minimum. I treat any processed grain, no matter how healthy it has been labelled, the same as a treat. I have it in very limited amounts. Ive never liked porridge so its never been an issue for me. I know my views on grains are extreme. If what you are currently doing is working for you then don’t change anything. If its not then change something and measure the outcome. Did the change make things better or worse. To arrive at my diet I changed certain foods and then redid my blood tests after 6 months. If it worked I kept doing it, if it didn’t I changed it up.

Bigbooty, there is no way that I’m aware of to put a stripped endosperm back together and if that were possible it would be too expensive and time consuming. But I see what you’re trying to get at, and I mostly agree. There are very few breads and cereals that I consider healthy. It’s not because I think that whole grains are unhealthy, on the contrary, I think they are full of fiber and nutrients and unless you are allergic to them, are a healthy addition to a diet. The problem is that many food labels are not just confusing but misleading. And many processed foods have way too many highly refined ingredients.

“Made with whole grains” is meaningless. Unless a bread is “100% whole wheat” or whole grain I am unlikely to buy it. There are whole grain cereals available, but most involve long cooking times are aren’t the ones you see in most cereal aisles. Some whole grains such as barley can be very challenging to eat with its hull intact. Not only is it very chewy, but even my cast iron stomach and intestines have trouble digesting it.

There seems to be a trend in eliminating one or more of the major food groups such as cereals and grains, or dairy, vegetables or fruit from diets these days. Their nutrients are found in other foods or in supplements or just missed altogether.The protein group (meat, poultry, seafood, beans and legumes, nuts and seeds) would be the only one that couldn’t be eliminated.

@bigbooty – I find your posts akin to someone stamping all over the page with size 10 boots demanding that everyone does what they do.

It’s unusual in this forum where people tend not to be self opinionated and unkind, perhaps you could rethink your bombastic language and stop demanding people do what you do.

I thought the whole point of this lifestyle was not to cut out food groups – I didn’t realise that apparently (according to you) everyone has to.

I felt sorry for the original poster of this thread yesterday when I saw your reply to their post. If I had posted the thread I’d have wandered off and never posted here again.

I think @bigbooty does a good job of providing an alternative perspective to the advice that has been fed to us for years by the food industry and the many nutritionists who effectively spread their message.

I know what works for me, and that is avoiding processed carbs and eating a lot of vegetables that are low in simple carbs. Easier said than done for many of us, of course.

Sorry I come across so strongly. If what you are doing is working well then don’t change anything. If it’s not working well then change it up. I think it is optimistic to think you can make poor food selections and let 5 :2 compensate for it. Personally I think Michael Mosley may have made an error in suggesting people can continue to eat anything. It just makes the task more difficult.

Thanks for all your comments. I’m on day 1 today and will see how things go with my current FD meal plan. Breakfast: 40g porridge oats, 200ml roasted unsweetend almond milk, 80g frozen strawberries and blueberries, 1 teaspoon golden syrup = 220 cals (I can stomach unsweetened porridge, so it’s a mini luxury!); 1 royal gala apple post-work/pre-gym = 47 cals; dinner: 1 slice soya and linseed Vogel + 2 poached eggs = 224 cals; black coffee / herbal tea during the day (and a 10 cal jelly pot in an emergency!). TOTAL: 508 cals.

This is pretty much a normal day’s food for me anyway, minus lunch (and the naughty biscuits I always graze on), so should be doable. Seems like quite a lot of food, and porridge really fills me up, so I’m hoping the hunger pangs won’t kick in TOO badly during the day!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.