Too young for 5:2?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ingrid 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi, my name is Hugh, I’m 18, and for a number of years I’ve been very conscious of my weight. I was bullied at school for being fat, in particular I remember one damning day back in Year 3 when we were doing some class activity that required us to be weighed; most people were 3-4 stone and I was over 6! Nowadays I would say that I’m not dangerously overweight at all, but for my own satisfaction I’d like to slim down. I was wondering whether or not the fast diet is suitable for an 18 year-old.

Thanks 🙂

Hi Hugh,
    I have scanned the book and all that I can find is that children should not fast.Have a look at the TDEE on the forum which will tell you what your BMI and calorie needs are with the level of activity that you do.

Hi Hugh,
    I forgot to add that I have also been using the British Heart Foundation BMI calculator which is both easy to use, but also has a range of weight for your height. I am aiming for the top of the weight range for my height which should give me a BMI of 25.

Hi Hugh,
    I would investigate this a bit more. One of the effects of fasting is that it reduces a growth hormon – IGF1 I think it is called. For a male 18 year old that might have some unwanted effects.
    I certainy don’t have enough knowledge to make a statement pro or con, so I hope someone who does picks up this subject.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.