To breakfast or not to breakfast

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Personal stories
To breakfast or not to breakfast

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  DerbyGirl74 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• This is part personal story and part information gathering.

I started doing 5:2 in January 2014 and have stuck with it ever since. After trying different permutations I discovered that not eating breakfast, then having a light lunch or frequently no lunch, followed by a light dinner is a good way to stay under 600 calories on the two restricted calorie days – with plenty of water and hot drinks to ward off any hunger pangs.

About two weeks ago, and as an experiment, I thought I’d try not having breakfast every day. So far, and having got used to not “expect” a meal shortly after waking up, I’ve found it remarkably easy. Like with other permutations of 5:2, I experienced a period of adaptation and in particular the realisation that my early morning hunger pangs do not signal an essential need to eat. I now appear to have readily adapted to this change and will make it permanent.

Many people’s typical reaction, when I say I don’t eat breakfast, is a comment that it would not work for them. Anecdotal reactions to not having breakfast include dizziness, nausea, irritability and so on. This got me wondering about the extent to which these reactions are because the person has got used to expecting calories in the morning and therefore could change if their habits changed, or whether this is a hardwired physiological reaction and would always happen no matter what. Intuitively it seems unlikely that a person couldn’t adapt. Then again, the many people I have spoken with are completely convinced that they must eat or face unwelcome consequences.

So, my question is, if you are someone who feels they must have breakfast, to what extent have you tested this? How many times have you tried delaying your first meal of the day? Do you always experience an unwelcome physical reaction?

I am also curious in other people’s experiences and thoughts, and if you have any research or scientific insights to offer, the even better.

I must applaud your commitment Nigeyb! I certainly hope to be able to stick with the plan for as long as you have so far!

Breakfast or not….. For me, on a fasting day….. NO!! No No No No No! I had breakfast on my very first fasting day and felt so hungry the rest of the day. It’s almost like it woke my stomach up and made it want more!

I now find that it I don’t eat anything during the day I can quite happily manage until 6/7/8pm before I have my evening meal. I simply stock up on hot drinks and water throughout the day to give me something to put in my mouth!
    I don’t feel lightheaded or weak, I seem to have lots more energy on a fast day, and I don’t sit there craving my next big meal. It works for me!

On a non-fasting day I always eat a healthy, balanced breakfast, and I enjoy it.

Well, to contribute to your information gathering:
    I never eat early in the morning. I don’t feel the need to. Sometimes, when for whatever reason I have to eat breakfast I feel nauseous.

On a typical day I get up, go to work, then eat lunch at around 1o’clock, ten go back home and eat dinner between 7-9pm. On weekends I eat first meal not earlier than 10-11am.

So, I’m used to not to expect calories until midday, and it works fine so far.

Thanks for your applause Clickbeetle85. In terms of sticking to the plan, I think Michael Mosley says in the book that it’s not a diet but a lifestyle change. That’s how I view it.

It’s interesting that you have more energy on a fast day. I wonder how often that applies to other fasters. I have heard others who report an increase in energy levels. This also seems completely at odds with those who report that missing breakfast causes all manner of undesirable outcomes (e.g. dizziness, nausea, irritability).

I am really missing a regular breakfast and don’t know if I’ll stick with it. Like many people, I just love eating. That said, and like you, once the day is underway I feel fine and can last out without food for a long time with no obvious downside. When I first started doing it I remember I sometimes used to feel a bit breathless but that is no longer the case. Perhaps that is because my body as adapted to longer periods without food?

Thanks Himeczan. Your response also makes me wonder about the extent to which breakfast may just be a habit for many people. I was always brought up to believe breakfast was essential. The prevailing wisdom when I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s was that breakfast is “the most important meal of the day”. Perhaps this was a bit of clever marketing by cereal manufacturers or egg producers?

I’d love to see some research on the extent to which we can do without breakfast, and the pros and cons, and whether there is a downside for some, or all, of us. Somewhere in the 5:2 book, Michael Mosley references some research that states that people who don’t eat breakfast tend to eat less over the course of the day and feel less hungry.

This link…
    http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/should_i_eat_breakfast_when_i_m_not_hungry

^ …suggests not eating breakfast increases cholesterol, reduces ability to concentrate and makes people more moody – all in keeping with the narrative which I have always understood and which I question based on my own limited experiment of skipping breakfast.

There are lots of other links that extol the virtues of a healthy breakfast. This is the first one that questions that wisdom…

http://stronglifts.com/7-reasons-why-you-should-not-eat-breakfast/

^ …this one quotes a few studies though there are no links.

What I’m really interested in, is any anecdotal evidence from people (like the person in the final link) who was convinced they had to eat breakfast for whatever reason, only to discover that – after a period of adaptation – they could manage fine without and without any apparent negative consequences. Or indeed anyone who tried it for a reasonable length of time and discovered that the consequences were such that they had to go back to a regular breakfast.

I agree definitely no breakfast for me on a fasting day as it seems that once I start I need to carry on. If I go without breakfast I can easily carry on till past lunch without anything and sometimes all day till my evening meal. I am starting again with the diet this week after falling off in August last year having lost a stone 🙁 my aim is to lose 3 stone in the coming year.

Thanks DerbyGirl74. Good luck with achieving your goal. I think the trick to 5:2 or intermittent fasting, or whatever label you want to put on to it, is to make it permanent rather than something you do to lose weight.

I have now gone 10 consecutive days without eating breakfast and on my two low cal days I don’t eat anything until the evening.

I am now increasingly convinced that, after a period of adaptation, when my brain and body had to become accustomed to not eating until later in the day, it’s surprisingly easy.

Coincidentally, and I saw this video mentioned on “The Fast Diet” Facebook page, Mark Mattson at this TEDx Talk, and right at the end of the fascinating video presentation (which covers a lot of the same ground as the 5:2 Fast Diet book), states that you get used to skipping meals. I am sure it would apply to most healthy people and it just takes that period of adaptation…

http://youtu.be/4UkZAwKoCP8
    Why fasting bolsters brain power: Mark Mattson at TEDxJohnsHopkinsUniversity

Thanks for replying – You are so right and once you get into it and on a roll it becomes almost natural. I just got out of the habit during the summer holidays and then have really struggled to get back and actually until Christmas managed to maintain my weight – then I ate my body weight in cheese and biscuits over the festive period and hey ho I am back to where I started. Am in the right place mentally now to re-start – so here goes 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.