Thyroid ft3

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  CalifDreamer 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hello

I am subclinal hypothyroid on medications but my ft3 is low. 4 range 3.1-6.8 it is at 24%.

I did read hear dat fasting does or can change conversion.

I can t loose weight at all and I think That my lowish ft3 is to blame. A lot of hypo have low ft3.

So HOW can 5.2 work or help hypo people if if the conversion gets even lower. T3 is the active hormone.

Can somebody explain. Did your ft3 improve or not and still loose weight wich does not make sense to me.

I am afraid to start because of That.

Flair12, I’m not sure I understand. If you’re on medication for hypothyroidism and it’s still low, why doesn’t your doctor just up the dose? Mine is low without medication but I get a blood test every year to check it and make adjustments if needed. It rarely changes anymore and is normal on meds. The 5:2 is working well for me.

Yes you do understand. My other hormones are good in range so tsh and ft4 is okay with medication. But the conversion is not going well something you can not change like That. I don t understand your post you say you test but you don t use medications what you adjust then?
    What are your numbers? You are also hypo ? Don t understand how you can do wel without medication and being hypo.

@flair12, sorry, I guess my post might make it sound like I don’t take medication for low thyroid. I DO take medication and have for years. I meant that my levels would be low without medication. I’m tested yearly to make sure the medication is keeping my levels in the correct range. Very occasionally they are adjusted and more or less prescribed.

Hi Flair12

What were your actual results? Have you had your thyroid anti-bodies checked?

Sorry if I am telling you something you already know but I think the answer is to find out why you are low in T3 and rectify that issue. Have you looked at the thyroid uk forum on healthunlocked. If you post on there, with full results and ranges, the Admins are fantastic at pointing you in the right direction.

With my limited knowledge, I think it is fair to say, that if your T3 is sub-optimal, as yours is, at 24%, you will struggle, as you seem to know. I am in the same boat but also post menapause 🙁
    I have recently started taking T3, alongside Levothyroxine. My initial blood results showed that the T3 was being absorbed but needs to go up about 0.75, so I have increased my dose on alternate days and if I don’t start getting symptom improvement then its an absorption issue. We are all slightly different in terms of how are thyroid function operates, of course.

I am new to IF so I will have to check out the research about IF reducing conversion of T3. Have you had your genome looked at? There are specific genes that impact conversion and absorption. I just did a google search about absorption issues, interesting stuff 🙂

10 Signs of an Underactive Thyroid:

1. Fatigue after sleeping 8 to 10 hours a night or needing to take a nap daily

2. Weight gain or the inability to lose weight

3. Mood issues such as mood swings, anxiety, or depression

4. Hormone imbalances such as PMS, irregular periods, infertility, and low sex drive

5. Muscle pain, joint pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, or tendonitis

6. Cold hands and feet, feeling cold when others are not, or having a body temperature consistently below 98.5

7. Dry or cracking skin, brittle nails and excessive hair loss

8. Constipation.

9. Mind issues such as brain fog, poor concentration, or poor memory

10. Neck swelling, snoring, or hoarse voice

Good points, smotfi1. Also, keep in mind that your thyroid values don’t change quickly, even if medication is adjusted. For me it took at least 3 months to see a change with any adjustments. But adjustments are rare for me. 5:2 doesn’t seem to affect my thyroid at all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.