the hunger shake

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Pot-bellied Heron 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hello all!

Today is my first fasting day, I had one poached egg with a few sticks of cucumber and a miso soup for breakfast. I was feeling really good and strong around the 4 hour, almost euphoric. I’m now in the 9th hour and I’m shakey and my eyesight is a little blurry. I can feel the pain in my stomach but I’m not craving any food and i think I have what feels like acid reflux where I’m producing a lot of saliva but I’m having problems swallowing. I have yoga tonight and don’t intend to eat for another 3.5 hours.

Questions are:

1) are my symptoms normal?
    2) how do I make it go away without? I don’t have access to food until i get home.

Thanks folks!

Hi Lydiac88!!

I think the first fast day can be a bit of a shock to the system and it affects everyone differently. I think headaches are the most common side effects felt. The thing to do is to make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day. I also wonder if you might find it easier if you save your meals to the evening. That’s what I do and I haven’t had any problems at all. Admittedly I’m only on my third week…but it’s going well so far! I think your yoga will help too won’t it. How long have you been doing yoga for? I do it at home only at the mo (Barbara Currie is currently my favourite) and it makes you feel wonderful doesn’t it.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon. It will get easier so don’t worry 🙂

Thanks Nursebean! I wanted to leave all the food for the evening but I was really hungry when I woke up this morning. I was a bit out of it by the time I left work despite drinking heaps of water, but was fine as soon as I started yoga. I haven’t done it in over a year and was surprised how much I remembered after such a long break. I’m hoping to do yoga on all my fast days to keep my mind disciplined 🙂

Ill have to look up Barbara currie, is she on YouTube?

Greetings, lydiac88. IF is an adventure of self discovery, and hopefully health improvement. We each discover how we react to fasting. To have odd days when we have little or nothing to eat doesn’t seem extreme in terms of human experience today or in the past.

I tend to eat a lot, am happy to snack as well as eat big meals, and had never been on a diet till trying my own take on intermittent fasting this year. I don’t find that fasting produces any notable symptoms at all, and no extremes of hunger. I do occasionally try longish unsupervised fasts, NOT advised by the experts, but they have produced no obvious problems. It is forty-four hours since I had anything other than water and my regular pills, though they do include one daily fish oil capsule capsule (which will have some small nutritional value). I’ll probably eat this evening. I feel well, but that is just me.

I’m sure that symptoms of reflux with a sensation of difficulty swallowing warrant a consultation with your doctor. Good luck, R

Hi Lydiac88 I’m not sure if BC is on Youtube but if you google her you will find her website which includes details of her DVDs, all of which are pretty good. I’m currently (among other things) trying to build up to the firefly position. Man alive it looks difficult!! Anyway the reason I like her so much is that she is now 70 something but still has a size 24 waist that she had when she was 18…thanks to yoga!!

Anyway, I hope the rest of your day is going well 🙂

I am a Newbie. I am finding this fast day really difficult . I have a headache and am going to try and drink more. But oooo this is haaaard !

@ lilyjo
    You will find your fast days get easier Lilyjo and some of us even look forward to them!
    Keep drinking water and enjoy your 500 calories 🙂

Hi all. Thanks for replying to my post. It has been years since I first started fasting and I have fallen off the wagon many times. Nowadays I can fast for 40+ hours straight, completely no food. Ingesting only black coffee. I feel great! I have adjusted my diet, so now I eat a high fat and low carb diet so I think that really helped with the hunger aspect. Again, sorry for the late reply.

Hope you all have had great success!

I must admit, I just read the original post and thought, Jeez, if this lady can’t manage a day, while still eating moderately, she’s got no hope.

It’s good to hear you stuck with it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.