The diet to end all diets!!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  RoBa 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Oh my goodness – what is going on??? I have spent nearly a year listening to all the 5 2 success stories in my village, but never believed I could commit to such a WOL. I have yo-yo’d for years and comfort-eaten for Britain! Something told me to give 5 2 Fasting a go, so I started on 25th November 2013. This in itself was a minor miracle…..because it would have been so easy to say to myself “why not wait until after Christmas?”. 4 weeks in and I am unbelievably thrilled to say that I have lost 14lbs!!!! Yes, a whole stone! I am a child of the 60’s…….so just can’t do kilograms!! Normally, I would have given up a diet way before Christmas approached, but this one is so flexible, there’s no need to! I fasted on Mon 23rd and have fasted today….but in between I have enjoyed every morsel. No other diet offers such flexibility! The biggest thing for me has been the “if I want it, I can have it tomorrow” revelation – after all, who minds having to wait just a day?? Have never posted anything on a forum, but I thought it would be nice to join your community for mutual support…..so hello everyone out there!

Welcome Bibba, and congrats on starting well. Be prepared for stops and starts, focus on the long term, even life time, goals, and you will always find friends here to give support and encouragement. 2014 is the year when less is more. By the end of 2014 I expect we will all be so firmly entrenched in the 5:2 habit that it will just seem natural and we will wonder why we were ever overweight. So, yes, for me and I’m sure many others, this is the diet to end all diets. …

Thanks RoBa – for your kind welcome and wise & encouraging words! It is true, these are only short-term results, whereas I am definitely looking for a long term sustainable way of life. I am just chuffed to have been rewarded with such a jump start, but I am not expecting the same every month (tho it would be very nice!!). Personality wise, I have a determined streak when I set my mind to something – so dieting has always gone well because of total focus. The eternal problem has always been maintaining the loss and not sabotaging all the hard work. This WOE feels so different……like I really could do it long-term….and that is totally A-MAZ-ING!! Am so thrilled that I tuned in to Michael M’s documentary – but just sorry I didn’t get with the programme sooner! Have 2 big goals for 2014…….looking better than I do now for my Mum’s 80th party in late April…..and looking miles better by July, when my daughter graduates. Photos can be so cruel…..or, as I now like to think of it, truthful!

BibbaBobba, welcome to the forum and congrats on your success. This success is what it makes it for me. It is such a thrill to see that one has lost weight and as you rightly say, one does not feel deprived and one can have it tomorrow.

I do the 5:2 wol in connection with my LoseIt! app that I have on my ipad. This way I can count calories from time to time. At the beginning I did calorie counting every day as it helped me to find all the “hidden” calores that I was not aware of. (Who would think that a harmless looking cookie can contain THAT many calories???)It made me also a bit more aware of what kind of food contains what kind of calorie. For instance I love bananas and apples equally, but now substitute my moring banana with an apple as it has less calories.

I am also now the proud owner of a fitbit force wristband that helps me counting my steps and how many calories I have burned per day.

What I love about 5:2 is its flexibility. Shortly before xmas I went on ADF (alternate day fasting)to prepare myself for the goodies around xmas time. I am happy to report that I did not gain anything over xmas eventhough I indulged in ice cream, cookies and everything else that came.

Anyhow…enough of my long blurb- all the best to you and happy fasting!
    Stef.

Hey Bobba! And welcome! May your early success shine through on the rest of your journey. Keep us posted on how you do!

My motto for 2014 is ‘less is more’ and I mean less stuff, less worry and less of me. This is the year I get to a healthy weight and stay there. Forever.

So, no more diets for me, just intermittent fasting and healthy eating.

Hi RoBa

I love your motto hope u don’t mind it I use it too
    Today is my first fast day of my new life yay.
    Healthy living everybody an happy news years
    ✌️

Thanks Nika & Stef. Hope 2014 has started well for you all? This is the strangest “diet” isn’t it? I have never known anything to feel so right, so quickly. Like many others on this forum, I seem to almost look forward to my fasting days. I certainly don’t have any sense of dread…but at the same time, I don’t believe it! I was an out of control comfort eater….& if Christmas isn’t the acid test, I don’t know what is!
    My stomach seems to have adjusted really quickly to the fast days without much complaint – but then, it is probably so relieved not to have to deal with so much junk all the time!! My obsession with food as a means of making myself happy has now been replaced with a desire to finally become healthy & hopefully live longer as a result.
    Sorry if I am blathering on…..but all these new feelings are such a revelation….I can hardly believe my luck in finally being able to take control back.

Haha no worries about blathering on, most of us do it so we’re all okay with it 😉 The fun thing is that it’s not a strange “diet” at all, is makes soooo much sense! It’s flexible, it’s not 24/7 (although you have to keep an eye on normal days, most people don’t see this as a big deal) and it’s sustainable. What more do you want??
    2014 started? Oh? Yeah I know, but I’m in China at the moment. They don’t celebrate here (their new year starts Feb 1st) so it kinda just past without a burp or fart. Must be the first new years eve I spent completely sober since I was 14 or something!

Oh right, wanted to comment on the food obsession thing as well. I’m a major sufferer here. According to my psych I use four things to comfort myself (as to not deal with my emotions), two of which are alcohol/drugs or food. Out of all four, food has always been the least damaging, it just caused me to gain weight. So in the long term it’s worse, but still better than those others I guess 😛 A healthy liver is quite nice to have.
    Anyway, yeah I know the whole comfort food thing. But the problem with this addiction (it can be called an addiction, truly) is that you can’t quit it!! Alcohol addicts can quit by stopping to drink alcohol, drug users can stop using drugs, but food addicts can never completely quit food. So eating healthy and small amounts for foodies is like injecting a heroin addict with small, weak doses of drugs every day and then expect them to never ever relapse into doing heroin.

So if I can replace all those four nasty things with one other big thing, the desire to be healthy – I’d be one happy monkey. Also dealing with stuff head on, but that’s just hard 😛

I take the point about not being able to go cold turkey on breaking a food addiction. I’ve just spent half an hour trying to find on the interwebs a spoof I saw last year some time where sugar was the naughty secret drug a woman was trying to get over. She was handling it like cocaine. Funny and sad. I’m personally making some headway on cutting my sugar consumption, but it is an addiction.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.