The Beginner

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Metchick 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Ok Have just enrolled with you guys to hopefully address my weight problems, as yet not to sure which days to create as my “fasting days” must they the same days every week ?
    Realistically want to loose about 3 stone (still work is stones and pounds )but anything would be great just fed up being a frump at the Christmas party and wondering if my fat ass will fit into the aeroplane seat, but now on reaching the ripe old age of 60 I want to enjoy a longer life and not see myself tied to a chair or sticks because of the weight that my body cannot carry itself so PLEASE give me the encouragement to make this work for me

CHEERS GUYS

Hi archieparche! Welcome to the best WOE ever.

Have you read Michael’s book?

I started on 2nd June wanting to lose around 18lbs. I’ve been using the Fast Beach Diet book to really focus me on the task and managed to lose 17lbs in 9 weeks. Some of that went back on while on holiday in August for 10 days but I’ve managed to lose that plus a bit more to make a grand total of 19lbs so far. I want to lose another 4 or 5 to give me some breathing room!

My fast days vary in the week depending on work and play, they don’t have to be the same day each week and some people have managed back to back fasts (B2B) – not something I have tried.

I’ve fasted on days when I have done quite a bit of exercise with no ill effects, in fact I feel amazing!

The key is to plan, don’t shop for food on a fast day (I’ve done this and it’s torture!), drink plenty of water or herbal tea during the day (or black tea/coffee) and for me, to avoid artifically sweetened drinks as they set off cravings. I’ve been following a low carb WOE for 6 years and I think that in combination with 5:2 has helped with the speedy losses – much better than I was expecting!

Hope this helps. Believe me, stick to the rules (and there aren’t that many) and you will lose weight but don’t forget, there other health benefits to 5:2, not just weight loss.

Also, if you haven’t seen it, watch Michael’s Horizon programme that started this all off.

Hi archieparche
    You and I sound alike! I’m just coming up to the big 60 and of course was going to be 3 stones lighter! Yeah right.
    My attempts to diet always start “tomorrow”. I did shed 1 stone at a well know group but cannot take the meetings, it’s me not them I know.
    In two weeks I’m on holiday, not too bothered about being a biggie as on a cruise I feel quite slim although this will be the first one departing from England so don’t know if the ratio will different.
    I’m quite fit and healthy but am getting worried about the future like your good self. I have a sedentary job in a hospice, this does give you a different outlook on life. I want to 5-2 4 times before we go, it’ll be great to know I can pop in and moan/cheer or chat with like minded folk who can tell me it DOES work.

Hi archie and welcome:

Here are some tips for beginners: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi Archieparchie,
    I’ve just started today and completed my 1st fast day. I made a pan of soup this morning made up of 350g of carrots, a sml onion, 100g of chicken breast, 1 vegetable stock cube and some seasoning. I can’t remember how much water I put in but it was enough to do two large bowls of soup. It didn’t take long and it was delicious. I had a bowl at lunchtime and a bowl in the evening. I crept in a small banana mid afternoon to help with the hunger pangs. It was a little tough at times but not as hard as I had imagined.
    I wish you all the best and ride through those hunger pangs when you get them. Just keep thinking it’s only twice a week and look forward a healthier you.

Hey you guys ….thank you all so very much Its heartening to hear there are others out there just like me ….as yet have not started as I just cannot get the motivation due to cold weather and just coming back form holidays.
    What does 500 calories looks like in food perspective I cannot get a picture if this in my head ….I know I need to do this just trying to find the big push

Wish me luck

Archiparche

Hi i have just joined not quite sure how this is going to go for me not very good at sticking to diets, I am 67 and have knee and back trouble,and need to loose some weight. was very active when young riding horses showjumping etc; never having to think about calories always very slim so find this quite hard, so any help greatly received

I’m just starting too, or, to be precise, am about to start next week after a family gathering. I’ve been practicing doing without lunch this week, just getting used to becoming hungry and not immediately reaching for something to eat.

I have already lost 10 kilos this year but progress has stalled and I still need to lose another 20 kilos. I hope that 5:2 will prove to be the lifestyle change that will turn into a way of life for me and keep the lard off so my dodgy hip will last a bit longer. If there are any improvements to my rheumatoid arthritis and eczema that will be a bonus.

Good luck everyone!

Hi, I stated14/9/14- 3 days ago and went straight into fasting From 8pm Sunday to 8am Tusday. On Monday I drank water 1500mls,x1 coffee, x2 black tea. A handful of almonds and miso soup at lunch and dinner.When I weighed (had to see if something happened.)My weight was 82.2kgs, I had lost 1.2kgs- this was fluid loss probely.
    So far so good!!!!! I fast again tomorrow-Thursday. My fast days will be Mon and Thursday’s. I feel good, no headaches etc.
    I’m 58 and menopause is @#%T!I do pilates 3 times a week and walk <which helps trim and tone the inside, but I have a tummy have had one for years.
    I so far am seeing and feeling good. Don’t give up we owe this to ourselves for better health. good luck archieparcie and all you other guys and gals.

Welcome, Go Gal! Great to hear about your loss so far.

I’ve lost 20lbs so far (since 2nd June with 2 weeks off in August) and feed fabulous. You are right, we do owe this to ourselves. When I hit the menopause properly (49 and peri-menopausal and fed up with night sweats) I want to be in tip top condition!

Onwards and downwards, guys and gals.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.