The 6:1 Switch

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Tobias Karlsson 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Reached my target weight in February and switched to 6:1 to maintain the loss. Throughout the 6 months it took to lose the weight I primarily used an alternating day approach…switching to 5:2 after the first 30 pounds.

Maybe it is me.

Since I have switched to the 6:1, I have seen only the briefest weight fluctuation (a pound here or there) but the greatest problem seems to be losing the “clean” energized feeling that came with the ADF. Eating six days a week makes me feel “too full” and a bit sluggish. I find myself looking forward to my Fast Day and have even considered at least going back to the 5:2.

Is anyone else having this difficulty. Also wondering if the 6:1 will give the same benfits (lab-wise) as I had with the ADF.

Seriously not complaining…I love having my waistline back and will never ever get that heavy again…just missing the “cleansing feeling” of the ADF and wondering if the health benefits will remain with the 6:1…

Anybody?

you could always go back to 5:2 but increase your intake a little on nonfasting days.

You can do as kilda suggests, or also you could implement a day or two of 16 hours fasting, and then eat normally within an 8 hour window (16:8).

That is my plan, eager to know how it will work out eventually 😉

I am in the same situation. I just go how I feel on a weekly basis and now I am not overtly concerned with my daily calorie intake but more with my weekly one. I try to stay under my weekly TDEE. Sometimes I do 5:2, then 6:1 or just calorie watching. I have days I eat super healthy (most days) and then it is ice cream galore.

I am at a very healthy weight now but would not mind losing one more kg to give me some space.

Maintenance I believe is trickier than losing as you will have to find the amount of calories you can eat without gaining or losing weight.

Stef.

If it feels better just do it, your weight will eventually settle, albeit slightly lower than it is now 🙂

Hi Carla,

I did 5:2 for a year and then went on to 6:1 in October last year. I have stuck to that since and must share with you that I find it much less of a diet than 5:2… most likely because it is less fasting :). It seems like ages between the fasting days and I also look forward to them after a week of what seems to be gluttony, although it is of course not – you are just used to the 5:2 regime with a much shorter span between the fasting and feasting “windows”. I really felt, as you say, that energized feeling you mentioned when I was on 5:2 and I do not now with 6:1. I guess that too little sleep and two small kids at home adds to that though ;). But just as you, I sensed that it was time to go to 6:1 at some point. I really felt that my body did not want to be o 5:2 any more; I felt drained and my body weight had long stabilised. 6:1 is perfect for me in this sense – I still fast, which I really enjoy, and it is far easier to maintain than 5:2 I would say. I am just curious to see what my IGF1 and cholesterol levels are. I am very glad to share that I have been able to keep my weight on 6:1! I was concerned that I would quickly put on weight again, but that did not happen. I did gain a kilo but since then it has stabilised (of course there are some fluctuations over the day and week, but when I last weighed in right after a fasting day, I was at 72kg which is also where I was two months earlier when I was already on 6:1 for 2 months). My theory is that your body has an ideal weight and once it gets used to all the factors affecting, it will stabilise at some weight. I have no idea of my bloods yet as I wanted to give it 6-12 months, in order to avoid any short-term fluctuations.

I guess Carla that 6:1 can be easily combined with some experimenting – like skipping individual meals on the non-fasting days, try out some 5:2 on some weeks… I am doing that and still have a baseline in my one fasting day, which I am not cheating on 🙂

And congratulations by the way to reaching your goal – well done!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.