TDEE – definition of exercise?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  QuietOne 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I use this one: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I’m sedentary for job – office work sat on my bum for most of the day

I’ve put down exercise 7 days a week 60 mins at a time, “light exercise ( I can hold a conversation while working out and do not break a sweat.)”

Does this sound reasonable? What I do day to day:

Get up, mix feeds for the horses, take them up to the horses (5 / 7 mins). Muck out a stable do haynet and water – 15 to 20 minutes of slightly harder than walking exercise. So that’s 20 – 30 mins light stuff in the morning. Mucking out is reasonably physical but I rarely break a sweat.
    Same again in the evenings, plus I also ride between 1 and 3 horses – so I am out and ‘doing’ for 30 mins to 2 hours in weekday evenings, as well as the standard 20 -30 mins of care. Then on weekends I am always riding / competing / poo picking so again I’d be surprised if I do less than an hour on any weekend day of at least walking, plus sometimes a lot more. I also teach a couple of lessons which is 45 minutes of walking round the school / putting up jumps twice a week.

sorry if I am in the wrong place!

Hi Emily and welcome:

If your goal is to lose weight, the thing to do is to put in sedentary and work from that number. TDEE is only an estimate, and you don’t want it too high so you don’t lose weight.

Another tact is to put in your goal weight and use that number. That way when you get to your goal you will understand how much (or little) you will have to eat to maintain that weight.

But to answer your question in a very general way as everyone is different, a person that walks 5 miles 3 times a week is right between sedentary and lightly active for TDEE purposes.

Good Luck!

Sounds like a reasonable reason to call it light. If you aren’t out of breath at some point and you aren’t elevating your heart rate to near max at some point you’re not into what they classify as active.

I ran my numbers through the calculator and it is definitely higher than the one available in resources at the top of the page. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

You have to remember that all of these are just “guesstimates” of what your BMR and TDEE actually are. You’d need to go to a lab and sit in the room and breath and do nothing but breath. Try not to think on stuff that’s complex, don’t fidget, move about etc. you just sit or lay there and breath.

The mathematical models are pretty good and they don’t take all the equipment, time or money to get you a number.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.