TDEE

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  rockyromero 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hi everyone. I’ve been doing the 5:2 for a couple of months now and have lost close to 14lbs but recently seem to have reached a plateau.
    I’ve used the TDEE calculator which gave me 1800 calories on my non fasting days. Does this mean I should be eating 300 calories on my fasting days? Thanks

Hi sharon82,
    Well done on the almost 14lbs weight loss, very impressive for a couple of months.How many inches/cms have you lost?

NO! Stick to 500 calories on fast days no matter what your TDEE becomes.

As regards the plateau, don’t worry about it. I stuck at a weight for 4 weeks, but lost 7 inches!!!!!!!!I have had about 4 plateaus since January.

If you want to get things on the move then you could try changing exercise, I find swimming a couple of times a week shakes things up. Or just carry on as you are and you will find that either the weight or the inches will be on the move again.

I hope that helps.

Hi sharon82
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your fantastic loss so far – you must be very pleased 🙂
    My understanding is that on the fast day you aim for around one quarter of the TDEE as the max calorie intake, so that would make it 450 kcal for you. Some people have no food on fast days, so if you wanted to only have 300 kcal that is ok, but if you do want to eat, you might find 300 kcal is not enough – but whatever you can cope with should be fine. Ideally just protein and veggies of course.
    Lots of people report reaching a plateau – it’s very common. Are you getting close to your goal weight – plateaus often happen then.
    If you browse the forum – and I am sure you already have – you will find a range of suggestions for how to deal with plateaus.
    These include:
    – continuing as is – sometimes the body just needs time to readjust before starting to drop weight again – especially given your significant loss over just 2 months. Are you also taking measurements, and/or keeping track of %body fat – these can improve when weight is not changing
    – try going 4:3 or ADF to see if that kick starts things again
    – try a different form of exercise
    – cut out as many carbs as you feel able to.
    And I know there are plenty of other ideas around, so keep browsing.
    Best wishes and good luck 😀
    Sassy

PS I was writing my post the same time as annette52, so didn’t see her response until after I had posted. Glad to see we agreed on most things…!!!

Hi, sorry I’ve been back on sooner. Still have around 13-15kg I’d like to lose so still quite a bit off my target weight. I’m think I’ve maybe just slowed down with the weight loss, although I’m still losing half a pound here and there. I’ll stick with it a few more weeks and if needs be will try 4:3 for a week or so and see if that can’t give me a kick start again

Every body reacts differently, so there’s no saying what will give yours a kick into weightloss again. Are you also measuring your fat%? This may give more insight in wether you’re burning fat and maybe building some muscle in the meantime.

As to getting off the plateau, there are several things you can try… and the first two are quite contradictive.
    1. Eat normal for a week, no fast days
    2. Add in another fast day or have a complete fast for a day
    3. Instead of eating your food spread out over the day on a normal day, make it into one larger meal or two meals that you eat later in the day to get that little bit extra fast time in
    4. Add some exercise (doing some interval / strength training in a fasted state is a great way to get fat burning again!)

Maybe one of these will work for you, maybe they won’t – you know yourself best!

@nika

1. Eat normal for a week, no fast days
    2. Add in another fast day or have a complete fast for a day
    3. Instead of eating your food spread out over the day on a normal day, make it into one larger meal or two meals that you eat later in the day to get that little bit extra fast time in
    4. Add some exercise (doing some interval / strength training in a fasted state is a great way to get fat burning again!)”

There’s one more:

5. Enjoy the plateau. Most of our time is spent here and changes happen infrequently.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.