Super October 2022 Challenge

This topic contains 337 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Maui 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 344 total)

• Day 22 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 216 lbs. Despite a trend of 1.5 lbs or so higher each day this week, I ended the week the exact same weight as I have the last two previous Saturdays. So, it’s just more plateau. I’ll get there in 2023. I’d love to lose some more weight before the end of the year, but the holidays are coming up, and I need to be honest ๐Ÿ™‚

Day 22 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

The good news is that my under-the-stairs closet is put back together, and it just shines with the bright white paint and the lack of cobwebs; I put stuff back before DH was here to give opinions on how/where stuff should go, so it’s more compact than he would have chosen (he thinks airflow matters there…) so it even appears emptier than it was even though it actually has more stuff that we moved from other areas of the basement (making those areas look much better). As I said, the good news.

The bad news is that I so felt like I needed a reward from all that tidying and arranging and successful completion of a big job, that I gave in to temptation and had not one, but two margaritas with supper. SIGH I needed to have remembered the “I’m not a dog, and don’t need to be rewarded with food (drink)” line. Today’s a new day to stick to my plan, although, since I’m making steamed mussels today, I’ll modify the plan from yesterday: instead of AF, I get just ONE glass of white wine.

And the scale reflected food/drink, and I feel disgusting…I MUCH prefer the feeling after a WF. Remembering that hasn’t helped yet; my inner two-year-old says “So what??” when I think of it, but I’ll keep reminding myself until I take action and refrain by choice rather than by decision.

@mariaelena Bummer on the no-college-reunion! Are you good friends still with many of your classmates, so that at least you can connect in other ways?

@gardenlily I have a 40-year-old Bernina 930 and a 70-year-old Singer Featherweight; both are treasures to me. ๐Ÿฅฐ Every now and again I toy with purchasing a machine with a wider arm for quilting, and with thread-clipping function for paper piecing, but haven’t caved yet, LOL.

@funshipfreddie Yeah, like you I’m finding myself quite good at maintenance…except that I’m supposed to be losing!!!! @northgeorgia See, that’s the silver lining of your plateau, is that you’re learning the skill of maintenance!

Okay, off to tackle today’s to-do list and go buy some mussels; looking forward to comparing home-prepared to those I’ve had in restaurants. Given how inexpensive they are ($2/lb) and how low they are in calories, they’ll be a great addition to my cooking repertoire if they’re yummy.

Day 22 – UK Cam – NFD
    Busy day – orchard volunteer group this morning, making wild flower scrapes and planting tubs with bulbs – clocked up 9000+ steps by lunchtime! Playdate with grand-daughter this afternoon so succumbed to home-made cookies (but they did contain a lot of oats!). Casserole of beef tonight and glass of red wine – OK, it’s not a FD but need to keep an eye on calorific intake. Trying to keep on or near TDEE so could probably use that calculator some of you use – anyone got a link to share?

@funshipfreddie – well done with the AF – 3 weeks is a long time and the benefits probably won’t be on the scales but your overall wellbeing.
    @northgeorgia – I only weigh in on a Friday, before the weekend relaxing time and I think that helps. Weighing every day you will get plenty of fluctuations depending on your ‘internal workings’and fluid retentions! Plus, you can get really depressed and end up eating a cake to cheer yourself up which rather defeats the whole process.
    @stitchincarol – I started out sewing with my grandma’s old Singer hand machine, still got it, still works! I would love a machine with a longer ‘throat’ for quilting but I manage most jobs, I do find ‘Quilt As You Go’ and working in sections helps solve the problem of how to tackle a 60 x 40 quilt. Also quite like hand quilting – very relaxing.

Off to deal with greens for supper – anyone want any apples??? I have bucketloads of them that need using – apple sauce, apple jam, apple pie …

Onward and downwards

Day 23 – Ireland – NFD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธโœ…

Happy Sunday everyone and power to anybody fasting today.
    Quick check in before I try get out in the rain for a little walk.

Not too bad a weekend food wise so far. Dinner out last night and there were many lovely non alcoholic options so I decided last night would not be a reason to imbibe so that felt good and even better this morning. Delicious food had and great chats with friends. ๐ŸŽˆ
    I am out again tonight for early bird and theatre so will drive ๐Ÿ‘
    @gardenlily Iโ€™d love some of the ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ – sounds like a great harvest.

Onward and downward โฌ‡๏ธ
    We rise by lifting others ๐Ÿ’•

Day 23 – South Africa – FD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿท

@gardenlily – thank you re 3 weeks AF. And yes re wellbeing; for the past 6 days all my BP readings, morning & evening have been normal. i.e. below 120/80 ๐Ÿ˜€

@northgeorgia – we’re a whole two months + 1 week away from 2023. I bet you could nudge yourself a LOT closer to that number 200 before then.
    Just sayin’ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Happy S๐ŸŒžnday!

Pocket List – Day 23 ๐Ÿ‹
    @funshipfreddie

Day23 U.K. NFD

Steady day planned for today , ready for FD tomorrow want to have a really good last week in October

See you on the list tomorrow

Day 23 – USA/GA – WFD

Weigh-in: 217 lbs. Almost 216 – scales couldn’t decide for a bit, so I generously let it have the extra pound for today.

@stitchincarol Yes, I think I’m a master of maintenance LOL! I just need it to do it closer to 100% of my goal, not 50% ๐Ÿ™‚

@funshipfreddie Yeah, two more months, but I have Halloween chocolates, Thanksgiving turkey, and Christmas goodies to battle against haha

My next FD this week will be on Wednesday, as on Thursday there are a couple of events at work, including good ol’ fashioned southern barbecue. Ironically, Fung-ishly speaking, it’s probably better food than a lot of other choices. Pure protein and very little carbohydrates. I actually had it Friday for dinner and maintained my 216 lb weigh-in for Saturday.

My average weight for October so far has been on the heavy side: 215 lbs. And it’s important to steer the plateau downwards and hopefully get off the plateau wagon soon. I need to better balance larger meals with smaller ones at other meal times, fewer snacks and better choices as a “regular” thing.

DEC 21: 216 lbs
    JAN 22: 213 lbs
    FEB 22: 212 lbs (lowest month)
    MAR 22: 213 lbs (lowest weigh-in: 207)
    APR 22: 214 lbs
    MAY 22: 213 lbs (highest weigh-in: 220)
    JUN 22: 214 lbs
    JUL 22: 214 lbs
    AUG 22: 214 lbs
    SEP 22: 215 lbs
    OCT 22: 215 lbs [up to this point, highest of the year]

Pocket List โ€“ Day 23 ๐Ÿ‹
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 23 Ohio, US — NFD
    Days 21 and 22 — NFD

The last couple of days have been quite chaotic, although I can’t point to anything big that has been the source of it all. The good news is that Friday’s weigh-in showed 179.0 lb (81.2 kg). So that ‘s the second week below 180 — hurrah! If this stays steady, it will amount to a loss of about 1 lb per month. Little steps are much better than no steps at all!

@brightonbelle Yes, tomorrow seems like a perfect day for a FD.

@jaifaim Hope you had a good walk in the rain. Let me check with you about a point of curiosity. When I lived in Portland, Oregon, where it pretty much rained from the end of November til the end of the next June — it was common “knowledge” that the sure fire way to spot the non-native Oregonians was that they were the ones with umbrellas. Is that the same where you live?

@gardenlily The Fast Diet website not only has this forum, but if I remember correctly under resources has a BMI calculator that also estimates TDEE. That’s what I’ve used.

@stitchincarol I agree with you — today is always a new page! Yesterday’s entry in our book of life need not determine what we choose to write today! Today is a gift of freedom!

Day 24 – Ireland – FD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธ

Well done Sunday fasters @funshipfreddie and @northgeorgia ๐Ÿ‘

A little more sugar had yesterday so Iโ€™m hoping that I havenโ€™t undone too much of the good work from last week.
    Resisting sweet options is so much harder than resisting alcohol and it is my biggest challenge. Iโ€™m working hard to change that and in doing so avoid all manner of reaction – headache, brain fog,etc.. seems like it should be easy but nopeโ€ฆ one of the hardest things for me. I continue to try to reprogram my brain ๐Ÿ‘

Anywayโ€ฆ here we areโ€ฆ two months to Christmas and Iโ€™m going to focus on having a good day today which will lead to another great week ๐Ÿ’ช
    Hope yours is good too ๐Ÿคž

Pocket list -Day 24
    @jaifaim
    @brightonbelle

@mapi I didnโ€™t spot your post earlierโ€ฆ yes! Same here! But it has always intrigued me as to how no one has quite managed to create truly waterproof clothing! I had my super duper expensive jacket on for my walk but still it came through in places and my boots are still drying out ๐Ÿค”

Well done on the steady loss ๐Ÿ’ช

Day 24 – South Africa – NFD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿท

@northgeorgia – thanks for joining me on yesterday’s list. I hope your FD was easy; mine certainly was, probably due to how much snacking I did Fri/Sat. ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ

@jaifaim – you get up really early? You posted that first message around 6 am?! I have to agree – resisting sweet options is definitely tougher than resisting alcohol. In fact, cutting out the booze seems to have woken my inner sugar demon. Apparently that’s quite common though. Something to do with both alcohol & sugar stimulating the chemical dopamine. Also cutting out booze may lower blood sugar, so we reach out for sugar to replace it. Anyway, that’s something to work on next month.

Sending RESOLVE to the Monday fasters ๐Ÿ’ช ๐ŸŽฏ

This week I’m reminding myself – โ€œ We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.โ€ ~ Jim Rohn

Day 24 UK FD

Resetting – again !! No point moaning as I am fully aware Iโ€™m responsible so just looking to get back into my good habits , I have a trip away in a month , itโ€™s Christmas in 2 months and beach holiday in 7 months so Iโ€™m setting goals for those dates Back to basics for me

Pocket list -Day 24
    @jaifaim
    @brightonbelle

Day 24 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 213 lbs. @funshipfreddie Yep, I spent the afternoon picking up pecans from my and my parent’s trees around out houses. I got two buckets full, and there’s still another bucket or two out there. And so many more in the trees waiting to ripen and fall. We’re in a race with the murder of crows that visit every fall…

Trending lighter so far this week, similar to the week before. Got some pecans this morning to help break the fast and get some good fat and protein. Take care!

Day 24, FD, Scotland

I was away at the weekend so I am unprepared for my fast today but Ive rummaged through the cupboards and found two tins of soup, so soup it is ๐Ÿ™‚ vegetable soup for lunch and lentil and bacon for dinner. Body attack after work.

Pocket list -Day 24
    @jaifaim
    @brightonbelle
    @goal10kg

Day 24 – Cam UK – FD
    Gosh, it did rain yesterday! I got totally soaked twice – heavy waxed coat and hat in morning and waterproof trousers in evening – at least skin is waterproof! Tried to eat sensibly over weekend but did drink a quite few glasses of wine … Today is a volunteer gardener day so just got in, cuppa in hand and relaxing after a very strenuous day digging out some raised beds and moving the soil to spread on another bed as mulch – lots of digging, barrowing and throwing of wet soil. Egg salad, carrot sticks and hummus for lunch, apple snack with my cuppa and vegetable casserole for supper so looking good for a 500-600 day.

@matpi – there is a website, apparently, that gives the calorie value of prepared foods – some of the others mention it. As most of the food we eat is freshly prepared, I guess it won’t help much and nearly all bought stuff has a calorie value on the packaging, I just need to do the math – not my strong point.
    @northgeorgia – ooooh, pecans, my favourite nut – can I swap apples for pecans????
    @brightonbelle – it is good to have dates to focus your resolve – I was aiming for Christmas but decided to stick to monthly goals as these are more achievable. However, I also have a medium-term goal to reach 135lb by the New Year – very much a case of little by little, and I will get there.

Really starting to stiffen up so off for long hot soak in bath – just hope I don’t doze off.

Pocket List Day 24
    @gardenlily
    @Gaol10kg
    @brightonbelle
    @Jaifam

Day 24 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

The scale didn’t stay at 150.0, but it hasn’t gone horribly high, so that’s progress, meaning I didn’t eat like a wild woman yesterday. In fact, I was really wanting something “lovely” yesterday evening–“lovely” defined as chilled white wine, or a beer, or something–and managed to have the voice of reason, reminding myself how awful I’d feel in the morning if I drank a second something, be the loudest voice, and I succeeded, so YAY for progress. We skipped brunch after church for the first time in memory practically, and had mussels, tossed green salad, and bread for the juices, and I had a glass of white wine with that, so I’d had my quota for the day. “Wait,” you say, “didn’t you have that exact meal on Saturday night??” Ahh, good catch; we did indeed. We’re figuring out exactly how to cook the mussels next Sunday for an appetizer; on Saturday, I cooked them on the stove and they were glorious; on Sunday, I baked them in the oven with identical ingredients, and the mussels were far more tender and succulent, but the juices were flat…basically like water. So, ideally, I suppose, we combine the stove top and the oven, LOL, but that’s going to be more fussing than we’ll be able to pull off.

And, it turns out that mussels are NOT as low in calories as I’d thought; they’re not high, but they’re not nearly empty of calories as oysters are. Sad, that, since oysters are hard to do at home (I’ve never succeeded in learning to easily open those shells) but mussels are. Oh well, eh?

Bottom line, I’m making progress in elbowing out my inner 2-year-old, and getting my adult-self to be in charge of what and how much I eat/drink. It’s a work in progress, and I don’t have nearly the resolve I had last fall at this time, so the amount of weight I’d like to be down by Christmas is looking doubtful, but there are more measurements than the scale to gauge success, right?

Today, we’re taking stuff down to the boys’ house for a dinner party on Sunday–I’ll tell more about it another day. That will take me out of the house and away from temptation, and then we’ll come home and eat, so my current level of RESOLVE should be sufficient to get through the day okay. ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‚

@goal10kg Your own RESOLVE is shining bright and strong, and I’m impressed by you to hunt and find something to be your FD food!

@northgeorgia LOL, I know the term “murder of crows” but don’t normally hear people use it, and you made me grin. Good luck in your race with those pecan-stealing-birds! You know, you and I need to have a race to lose, oh, say, four pounds. We’ve both been whimpering for months about how we can’t control ourselves and need to behave better, so we’re at similar starting points–although you have a distinct advantage given your male metabolism and FAR higher TDEE ๐Ÿค”–so are you game? My thought is we have to reach that weight, and still be there on X-number of mornings, or weeks, or whatever we choose. Whatcha think?

@brightonbelle Ahh, I’m guessing your Sunday didn’t end up as controlled as you anticipated on Friday? Always the huge challenge, isn’t it? How much by Christmas and how much by your beach vacation?

@jaifaim and @matpi I grew up in Northern California–as in, true northern: 30 miles from the stateline of Oregon and right on the coast in a town called Crescent City, where it rains 89″ a year…lots and lots of rain. The thing about umbrellas there is that it’s far too windy for umbrellas to function, as they immediately get turned inside out, so people from out of town learn immediately not to bother trying a second time, LOL.

@funshipfreddie I’m dazzled at your AF record so far; well, well done. And fascinating on why AF leads to sugar cravings; thanks for sharing.

@gardenlily What a cool treasure to have! I’m nearly done with the body of my current sweater, and 2-3″ shy of done with both sleeves, so I’ll soon have it done, sewn together and be knitting the turtleneck; I’m sure it’ll be done by Thanksgiving if not far sooner. Then I have the binding to finish hand-sewing on three or four baby quilts, and then…? I’m not a finisher until I feel like it, so always have multiple projects going, figuring I do all this because I LIKE to, not because I HAVE to, so wait until the mood strikes me. Are you like that, or are you compelled to finish what you start before you start something else?

Okay, I’m stalling, can y’all tell? It’s time to get up and get to work. There’s tidying to do before we drive to the boys’ house!

Have a grand one, everyone!

Pocket list -Day 24
    @jaifaim
    @brightonbelle
    @goal10kg

Second post

Just saw you posted right before me, @gardenlily

What we’ve talked about is MyFitnessPal; go wherever you get apps for your smart phone and you’ll find it. There’s a free version and a paid version; I’m not sure if any of us do the paid version, because the free version is sufficient. Look it over and ask questions; if you have the discipline to use it, it’s wonderful.

And, I’ve been craving my mom’s Fresh Apple Cake recipe for a couple weeks now, so I’d love some of your apples for that!

Pocket list -Day 24
    @jaifaim
    @brightonbelle
    @goal10kg
    @gardenlily

Day24 USA/HI NFD 16:8
    This month is turning into a good start. I am getting better at remembering to drink my Chinese med tea twice daily before meals and staying in the 16:8 window most days. Plus I am walking everyday when my son is here and I can get out in the morning. Even if I donโ€™t end up down in weight, if I donโ€™t gain any weight, I will feel the month a success. Plus getting back to weighing everyday so I think that makes 4 things that will help take me in the right direction. May we all find whatever it takes to continue building helpful routines in our lives.

Days 21 and 22 – USA – NFD
    Day 23 – CD
    Day 24 – NFD

Day 24 Ohio, US — MFD

The fast has gone well today, mostly because the weather has been spectacularly beautiful. It was 77 F (25 C) and the trees were an incredible melange of brilliant red, orange, and yellow tones. To quote the TV show: Absolutely Fabulous!

@maui Your four practices sound like good supports for a sustainable lifestyle.

@stitchincarol Yes, late October and November are the perfect time for all things apple around here too: apple cider, fresh applesauce, apple pies and crumbles, and of course apple cake! By the way, when I was a boy, my mother would make a buttery chowder and put mussels into it. It was probably my favorite way to eat them.

@northgeorgia One of my regular breakfasts is grits with butter and freshly roasted pecans. I guess that may be a hold over from my times living in Georgia.

@funshipfreddie Thanks for sending the RESOLVE. It helped!

Pocket list -Day 24
    @jaifaim
    @brightonbelle
    @goal10kg
    @gardenlily
    @matpi

Day 25 – Ireland – FD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธโœ…

Yep @funshipfreddie I get up really early during the week nowโ€ฆ I got into the habit of starting work early during lockdown and that has continued – if Iโ€™m in the office I either cycle or sometimes drive and itโ€™s so much easier to do both before rush hourโ€ฆ then Iโ€™ve tried to build a habit of getting in a good 1 hr walk in first thing to ease into the day and bank some exercise.
    Believe me thoughโ€ฆ. EVERY day I wish I could stay in bedโ€ฆ.. ๐Ÿ’ค but I know it does me the world of good ๐Ÿ‘

I now walk straight after a cup of tea and a quick post hereโ€ฆ ๐Ÿšถ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธ

@brightonbelle i have the same sort of timeline of targets which is why Iโ€™m trying to knuckle downโ€ฆbeach holiday in April so thatโ€™s what Iโ€™m trying to focus on ๐Ÿ‘

@stitchincarol the area you describe reminds me of a program I watched recently called Virgin Riverโ€ฆ is that anywhere near I wonder.. It was set in Northern California although i think it may have been filmed in British Columbia. So so beautiful but it struck me that it must rain a lot up there. Itโ€™s now on my list of places to visit. Iโ€™ve been to Vancouver and north but that rural area was truly breathtaking. ๐Ÿ’•

Fast day yesterday was not greatโ€ฆFD800 in the end โ€ฆ but going again today.. I was doing so well last week but Iโ€™ll get there ๐Ÿ’ช

Pocket list -Day 25
    @jaifaim

Day 25 – South Africa – NFD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿท

@jaifaim – I admire your self-discipline! When I started working in casinos in the ’80’s, they didn’t open before 2 pm, so the earliest I ever started work was 1:45 pm. My loathing of getting up early may have had something to do with my career choice ๐ŸŽฒ

@stitchincarol & @northgeorgia – I love that idea!๐Ÿคฃ Are you up for the challenge, @northgeorgia? I’m already wondering who I would place a bet on if it was possible ๐Ÿ™„

Our WhatsApp is currently down?! Weird how we come to rely so much on these things. I never used WhatsApp until maybe 5 or 6 years ago, & now I can’t imagine life without it. I can’t remember the last time I sent someone a regular text message.

I’ve been debating with myself all morning whether to fast today. Um….no, I think not. But tomorrow, definitely.

Day 25 UK NFD

Iโ€™m trying to get up a bit earlier @jaifaim I seem to have got into the habit of wasting a good few hours each morning and itโ€™s really eating into my day

How much? @stitchincarol , well at this stage any loss would be great but realistically 2lbs a month but Iโ€™m genuinely at a loss as to whatโ€™s happening, in desperation I reviewed my diaries for when I last successfully lost weight I only kept high level info – calories, exercise and I canโ€™t see much difference so I guess my body just needs less – unfortunately not all my body parts have got the message, so onwards ๐Ÿ’ช

Day 25 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 213 lbs. Almost 212 — I stopped eating after lunch yesterday, and as I got home late, I decided to skip supper.

@stitchincarol Yes, challenge accepted! Let’s motivate ourselves to drop four pounds, and register it for maybe three days within a month/30-day period? That would make my goal 209 lbs from today (213 lbs is my lowest weight in the past 10 days), but to make it more fair, maybe I should make mine 208 lbs?

Day 25 โ€“ Tuesday โ€“ Gold Coast Queensland Australia โ€“ (NFD) ๐Ÿ˜ต๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Hi everyone…. I’ve been AWOL for a few days. Work is getting a bit overwhelming again. I wish I could control work the same way I do with Intermittent Fasting๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

I’ve read all the posts and can see the RESOLVE in all of your posts. ๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽˆ

Yesterday was an FD… quite successful, even though it was my blood bank donation day when they reward you with a delectable (GF) coconut and chocolate slice… yummo!
    Thank heavens I don’t give blood every day, hey?

Some chat about weigh-ins…. for what it’s worth, I jump on the scales every morning when I wake… so it is a consistent time for comparisons. Also use my Friday weigh-in for my records.
    Weighing every morning really helps to keep me mindful, especially, if it is UP a fraction, then I’m even more RESOLVED on that day to eat properly. But it’s not a big thing and I don’t stress if a little up or down…. just keeps me on track. When I was actively losing weight earlier in the year, I found weighing every day really helped me but now it’s also very useful for maintenance. Horses for courses!

Only a week to go this month, so I hope everyone is feeling like a race down the last lap for the month! ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ

cheerie dearies

Thought: Turn your head to the left, turn your head to the rightโ€ฆ repeat this exercise whenever offered unhealthy food ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿ˜ต๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿ˜‚

Day 25 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD

Had a decent day yesterday, food-wise, and a lovely day otherwise. The nice thing is that I really toyed with a glass of red, or a glass of chilled white, or a beer…and eventually realized I simply didn’t want it. PROGRESS. I don’t fear I’m drinking too much that I’m edging toward a drinking problem, but only that the calories are SO unhelpful to weight loss, and I’m certainly sleeping better for drinking less, so I’m delighted to keep up the practice.

That said, here’s the explanation I promised: to celebrate DS31’s birthday, we’re having a dinner party for 12 at the boys’ house that is a wine tasting of Pinot Noirs from the Willamette Valley in Oregon State. (That’s pronounced wil LAM et if you don’t know.) It’s been a constant exchange of texts with DS26–the chef–as to what we’ll serve, and who will cook it, and what recipe we’ll use, and the mussels that are an appetizer are why DH and I had them on Saturday evening, and DH, DS26 and I had them after church on Sunday, LOL. We have the recipe settled for the mussels. ๐Ÿ‘ The friends who are coming are so dear that they’re actually “family,” so it will be lovely and fun…they’re also drinkers, so I have 12 bottles for the 12 of us, LOL! ๐Ÿ˜œ (They’re the friends we were dining with when we had the horse-drawn-wagon accident.) We’ll have coffee at the end and there will be at least one designated driver so we’re all safe; but I’m NOT expecting the scale to look lovely next Monday morning. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

Okay, @northgeorgia, you’re on!! I weighed 153.2 this morning, so I’m setting 149.2 as my goal. But I’m not content with hitting that weight some number of times within a month; I’m thinking of going below it so that I can come UP to it, and my thought was more like weighing that four times within two weeks. (We both have highly fluctuating weight, so we’re perfectly matched in that regard.) How does that feel to you? And I’m happy with you choosing either 209 or 208.

@maui Good for you for finding a rhythm and a routine that’s working for you; that’s at least half the battle!

@matpi Your mom’s chowder sounds divine; do you have her recipe so that you can occasionally make it?

@jaifaim YES, that’s set just south and east of where I grew up (about an hour each way); when I was a child and it was time to shop for back-to-school clothes, we’d either go northwest into Oregon to Medford, or south to Eureka; listen carefully and you’ll hear them talk about going to Eureka on a regular basis…several times “going out to dinner” took place in Eureka, in fact. And you’re right that it’s filmed in British Columbia. What it looks like? Exactly what it looks like where I grew up, except for my town which is right on the coast.

@linda.b So sad for you that work is going nuts at the moment!

Well, I was all prepared to chatter more, but I’ve hit the end of the posts…lots of regulars are missing! @songbirdme How’s your honey????

Lots of commotion here today: DH’s laptop is still at the spa and they haven’t called yet, I have some tidying I should accomplish yet this morning, and the wired-in smoke detectors won’t quit chirping despite new batteries, so we have to call the electrician…I’m thinking they’ll just replace the two that give us regular problems. So, off I go to get some things accomplished before I drive away to teach 9 piano lessons!

Pocket list -Day 25
    @jaifaim
    @stitchincarol

Day 25 – USA – FD

Pocket list -Day 25
    @jaifaim
    @stitchincarol
    @metatauta

Day 25 Ohio, US — NFD

Even with the day being something of a tussle, the eating has stayed on track. A good part of the tussle centered on the exam we had in my online course. The first part of the test was written with a time limit of 50 minutes. They were kind enough to provide a count-down clock ticking away on the screen. Right in the middle of the exam, I received a text message from a doctor’s office saying that my teleconference with the doctor was about to begin and that I should check in. Back a while, when I realized that there was a time conflict, I had rescheduled the appointment til November. I had to call their office 4 times before I was able to talk with a human being and tell them of their mistake. They looked up my appointment and said yes, they had made a mistake and that they would see me in November. Meanwhile, I’m watching the time ticking down on the clock on the exam screen.
    And it wasn’t as if the exam questions were easy. One out of the ten questions was to answer the question: Which museum in the French-speaking world would you most like to visit? Explain why. Be sure to include a description of the exhibitions which you would find in the museum, which type of pictures you would like the best and describe the style and school to which these pictures belong. Also mention how you respond internally to such art.
    That would be a fun question to answer if there were just time to write a nice essay as an answer.
    The oral part of the exam was an even worse time crunch. In theory they give us 10 minutes for this part, but you have to video record your response and get it uploaded into their system before the timer ticks down to zero. Now it takes more than 3 minutes for the video to be uploaded, so in reality one has less than 7 minutes to answer the question. This part of the test is always a black box: you never have an idea of what the question will be. Today the question was: State the name of one of the artists mentioned in the chapter. Describe their style of art and their importance in the history of art and why you like their art. Be sure to include your inner response to their art. So in 7 minutes one has to read the question, think of an artist for whom you can answer the other questions, frame some sort of outline of the response mentally, and then rattle off the answer in French. Is it any wonder that my adrenaline was so pumped after the exam, that I couldn’t sit down for more than half an hour? Just between you and me: I think that most of the undergraduates get mauled by these exams.

@stitchincarol Now I’m a vegetarian, so I would have to skip out on the mussels! My mother wrote down a lot of her recipes in an old “Joy of Cooking” cook book (I think it was a first edition of the first edition!) When she passed, it was thought that there was no value in such an old book, so it was tossed. A great loss!

@linda.b Now that you mention it — I suppose that for most people the 5-day work week was the original 5:2 WOL!

Day 26 – Ireland ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช – NFD

Still here, just busy….read all the posts..
    .yay @northgeorgia and @stitchincarol for your wager !!!!

Ohhh @matpi, just reading about your exam and what you had to do made me twitchy ๐Ÿ˜†

Have a nice day, got to rush…life is just too busy these past months…not sure if I am liking it!!!

Day 26 – UK Cam – NFD – my birthday!!
    Going to be a great day – chat with NZ family, coffee with the girls, pub lunch with DH and then family supper at Asian buffet – just as well I have an FD lined up for tomorrow and probably an 800 FD on Friday just to stay in one place on the scales – BUT you only have one birthday a year so I shall just relax and enjoy! First thing first, need to walk the dog – going for a sunlit ramble in the woods, walking on a carpet of gold and russet leaves with blue sky peeking through the branches – what more could you want?
    @matpi – your exam sounds horrific – I think I would have hidden under the stairs and refused to come out. Mind you, art was never one of my strong subjects (more into science). More to the point, I hope the medical consult went OK.

Wishing everyone a happy ‘hump’ day – look forward, not back and keep your eyes on your target!

Day 26 – South Africa – FD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿท

@gardenlily – Happy Birthday! ๐Ÿฅณ๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿฅ‚

@matpi – your exam ordeal, wow?!! Well done on getting through it! I think I would’ve been driven back to the bottle ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

@flourbaby – hope you’re doing okay? ๐Ÿค—

Happy Hump Day! ๐Ÿซ

Pocket List – Day 26 ๐Ÿ’
    @funshipfreddie

Day 26 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 216 lbs.

@stitchincarol So you mean making it our new maximum weigh-in during any single week, or is that going too far? ๐Ÿ™‚ Yes, I’m OK with dipping below and coming up to the target at least four times in a two week period! In that case, I’ll go for 209, so I can better remember it’s just getting out of the 210s as this first step.

I got to start eating better on my NFDs. It’s as simple as that, I think.

Pocket List โ€“ Day 26 ๐Ÿ’
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 26 USA (Illinois) NFD

I’ve been busy with lots of activities – my normal choir, children’s museum, and wifely duties, add to them playing Nurse Ratchet to my DH. He has improved, actually walking some without the walker around the house, but still sleeping a lot and weaker than he would like to be. He had an appointment with his primary yesterday afternoon, and she agreed this must be some virus that he just will have to overcome in time.

For me, I’ve been able to keep at maintenance, often just doing OMAD (generally about 1000 calories).

@stitchincarol – I see Nebraska is in the gun-sights for my ILLINI on Saturday! My team is up to #17 in the rankings for the first time in decades, but of course it’s how they play on Saturday that matters.

@northgeorgia – I think your challenge is a great one! I would be happy for you to get into the lower 200’s as well! My DH has lost 9 pounds with his illness (gone from 196 to 187 – he’s 6’2″ so that’s okay for him).

I will try to read and post more later. Hugs to you call –

Onward and downward.

Day 26 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

Yesterday’s WF was nearly easy, and I was startled never to get particularly cold, even though the day itself was a bit cool. I have steak, Brussels sprouts, and acorn squash on the menu for tonight, but since DH and I will split one steak, it shouldn’t be too high in calories…as long as I don’t go nuts at lunch. ๐Ÿ˜œ

@matpi Fun to read the details on your online class test, and how frustrating it must have been to have to deal with your doctor’s office in the middle of it all. What a shame about your mom’s Joy of Cooking!

@daffodil2010 Yeah, busy can be good, but can also be horrid! Glad you popped in!

@gardenlily Happy, happy birthday!! Your plan for the day sounds absolutely perfect; enjoy!!

@northgeorgia Okay, it’s a plan! I’m rather excited about this; no matter who “wins” officially, we’ll both be in a better position, so it’s all good! This morning, after yesterday’s WF, I was 150.8 (lower than past Wednesdays), so I’m on my way…but after eating today, I’m sure I’ll be up again tomorrow, LOL.

@songbirdme Your poor DH must be so frustrated by his ill health, but I’m so glad he’s improving, however slow it is. And the game this Saturday? I can tell you the outcome right now: Nebraska will play brilliantly at some points, horribly at many points, and your ILLINI will win…very probably by a single score. It’s been that way for a L.O.N.G. time now, and the glory of the Tom Osborne years are gone… perhaps never to be recovered?? ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

Well, an electrician has already been here and finished replacing a chirping wired-in smoke alarm and left and it’s only 8:30am! There’s always a little excitement in each day, huh? He’s a nice guy, and went to school with DSs31, so I always have a soft spot for him.

Okay, off to tackle my to-do list. Have a grand one, everyone!

@funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 26 – FD800

Iโ€™m still here, just a lot of stuff going on. And I got my yearly flu shot at the Dr. last Friday so was sick all weekend. Yeah, I routinely get sick (fever, weakness, sneezing and headaches) after flu shots, but this time it came with nausea and dizziness so I lost a couple of days to it. Back on track now, feeling better.

Some interesting data on my weight maintenance and fitness strength training- my weight is steady at the top of my maintenance range for a month or so, but interestingly a slightly too small hoodie I picked up at goodwill fits perfectly, not a tad too small at all anymore. Since my ancient Apple Watch yells at me my โ€˜movement caloriesโ€™ are a bit down the past few months, I can only think the strength training is working and my fat/muscle ratio must be better.

Iโ€™m going back to a good habit I had when I started losing weight but kinda lost. Putting on background music all day – hoping that will have me dance moving around again to get those daily movement calories used back to an optimal level. Currently have an all Elton John playlist on, it also brings back a specific childhood happiness and nostalgia (in a good way) to hear his oldies again!

@stitchincarol I try to combat the being cold thing (can get to me all year round b/c DH runs hot so the house is usually kept a couple degrees cooler than I find comfortable) with lots of hot drinks. Tea especially, but even a hot glass of water. Sometimes just holding a steaming mug can bring lots of warm comfort.

Like many have mentioned I am enjoying some beautiful weather here temperature wise – it did rain cats and dogs Monday, but we sure needed it and it left behind amazing weather.

@gardenlily I hope you have a fantastic day, happy bday!

Well, Iโ€™m going to utilize that fantastic weather and work out (hula hoop walking) outdoors today, so I had best get to it!

Warm wishes to all!

@funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @mariaelena

Day 26 – Ireland – CD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธโœ…

Meant to post this first thing but was in a big rush this morningโ€ฆ. Have not got to catch up on posts so hope all are well. Good CD so farโ€ฆ. Not long leftโ€ฆ

Go @northgeorgia and @stitchincarol ๐Ÿ’ช it will be great for the focusโ€ฆ

@matpi I had never heard of grits before I read Where the Crawdads Singโ€ฆand had to look it up then โ€ฆ ๐Ÿง
    Now that I know what they are they sound yummy with pecans and butter ๐Ÿ˜‹

@linda.b Iโ€™m sorry to hear you are so busy with work. Iโ€™m in the middle of a busy period too and it shouldnโ€™t affect our โ€œme timeโ€ but it doesโ€ฆ. I hope it gets back to normal soon for you ๐Ÿ™ Iโ€™m also a frequent weigher- it keeps me somewhat on trackโ€ฆ. ๐Ÿš‚

@stitchincarol wow! You grew up in such a beautiful spot. Of course, Eureka! I was trying to remember the name of the town yesterday but couldnโ€™tโ€ฆ what was the name of the town you grew up in?
    I watched VR mainly because of the beautiful setting as the storylines got a little tediousโ€ฆ having said that Iโ€™ll tune in to the next season whenever it comes out.

@matpi well bien fait to you! Is this your french course or a different art course? I couldnโ€™t even contemplate taking an exam like that nowโ€ฆ my retention and focus for anything outside of work is shot ๐Ÿ˜‚ and the timer on technical exams is such a stressor ๐Ÿ˜ฌ. Honestly, I think at the moment note ouรฏe take me the 7 minutes to read and get my head around the question ๐Ÿ˜‚

Thanks @funshipfreddie! Self discipline is something Iโ€™m trying to work on and generally build better habits for meโ€ฆ I realise that time can just disappear on me (@brightonbelle like youโ€ฆ) so this is working and hopefully I can build on this โ€ฆ ๐Ÿ™

@maui well done to you too on getting up and out when you can ๐Ÿ‘

Hi @metatauta – was good to have you on the list yesterday ๐Ÿ“

Missing lots of regulars as you say @stitchincarol – I hope everyone is ok. ๐Ÿ’•

Day 26 – USA – CD

Just about 146 calories over the 800 FD cals for the day, so I don’t want to push the envelope, lol! I could stretch it and say it was another FD, but I’m not that desperate.

Day 26 – UK Cam -2nd post
    Just a quick query @AT- has anyone volunteered to do the November forum? I did say I would host and the offer is still there.

Day 27 โ€“ Thursday โ€“ Gold Coast Queensland Australia โ€“ FUN DAY (FD) ๐Ÿฅฆ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿฅฆ๐Ÿฅ’๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ†๐Ÿฅฌ๐Ÿฅฆ๐Ÿ„๐ŸŒถ๐Ÿ

@gardenlily .. your birthday plans sound just perfect… enjoy!

@stitchincarol and @northgeorgia…… wow that’s a great incentive for you both….. we’re all watching with anticipation … the race begins! ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡

@matpi… I did art history for 5 years in high school… loved it… but don’t recall our exams being as tough as those questions๐Ÿ˜ต๐Ÿคช๐Ÿ˜ต (thank heavens!) …. and to have your thought processes interrupted midstream with the doctor’s appt fiasco…. what a palaver! Couldn’t have been any tougher for you! ๐Ÿ˜ฃ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ฃ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

@funshipfreddie….. Yay for you! ๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ””๐Ÿ”” Doing so well with the AF! Only days to go and a whole month done… will you do November AF as well? That’s the way it worked for me ie no set plan but, at the end of each month, I thought it wasn’t too excruciatingly hard, so gave it a shot for another month…. and here I am AF for well over 9 months… whodathunk! Certainly not me! I can absolutely feel the health benefits as time goes on and don’t mind at all that I’ve now become the DD (Designated Driver) when I meet up with my galpals for a social outing.
    AF๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿท also really helped with my weight loss earlier in the year by eliminating all those empty calories and helping me now stay on maintenance WOL too. Not saying I’ll never have another ๐Ÿฅ‚ but will save for special occasions and sip instead of slurp! ha ha!

… and hi!๐Ÿ–๐Ÿ–๐Ÿ– to everyone else, so many of us and so little time to respond to each individually but, promise, I always enjoy reading EVERYONE’S posts and am with you all as we trek along together.

It’s already 9.55am … so back to work I go…. enjoy your day everyone!

cheerie dearies

Thought: A short time daily is better than a longer time never! ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿšถโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Pocket List โ€“ Thursday – Day 27๐Ÿฅฆ๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ„ join me today!
    @linda.b

Day 26 Ohio, US — NFD

Everything flowed more easily today, and have stayed on target with the eating.

@linda.b I love your quote — I think that goes for learning a language also!

@jaifaim Yes, this is the French course. The surprising thing (at least to me) is that this is only the second semester course. I’m in good shape with the grammar and am enjoying the cultural asides, but I really wonder what the experience is like for someone encountering all this for the first time. The future tense hasn’t even been introduced yet!

@mariaelena There was an article in the news yesterday (maybe in The Guardian) that it’s really a good thing to have a strong reaction to a vaccination. The idea is that the stronger the reaction, the more antibodies your body builds up. So even though it wasn’t pleasant, you can thank your body for doing such a good job!

@stitchincarol Ahhh — the chirping smoke alarm! When mine does that it always seems to choose 4:30 am to do it, so that I lose a few hours of sleep. It never seems to do it at noon, for example. I suppose that this is another example of Murphy’s Law.

@funshipfreddie It’s surprising that my attitudinal adjustor of choice isn’t a bottle, rather a box of snack cakes (Twinkies, preferably). Fortunately, there weren’t any in the house, so I had to just make do with taking a nap.

@gardenlily Happy Birthday! Yes, birthdays are worth celebrating! And the rough part about the artist test question, was that the chapter was a general survey of art, music, theater, and film in France, Canada, and French-speaking Africa. The question could have equally been to choose one musician or singer or playwright or actor or director and do the same thing.

Day 26 USA/HI. NFD 18:6
    Today was work was started on putting in new countertops in kitchen โ€ฆ something Iโ€™ve been planning for many years and itโ€™s finally happening. Amazing how good it makes me feel. I think it will help with putting more order in my lifeโ€ฆ certainly will make keeping the kitchen clean a lot easier.

Day 26 USA/HI. NFD 18:6
    Today was work was started on putting in new countertops in kitchen โ€ฆ something Iโ€™ve been planning for many years and itโ€™s finally happening. Amazing how good it makes me feel. I think it will help with putting more order in my lifeโ€ฆ certainly will make keeping the kitchen clean a lot easier.

Day 27 – Ireland – FD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿšถ๐Ÿฝโ€โ™€๏ธโœ…

Happy belated birthday @gardenlily ๐ŸŽ‚

@songbirdme itโ€™s good to hear all is well Nurse Rachett – isnโ€™t he a lucky man to have you looking after him ๐Ÿ˜‰

I was so busy yesterday and yep @daffodil2010 it feels like life is rushing byโ€ฆโ€ฆ

Thereโ€™s no doubt about it @northgeorgia and @stitchincarol, youโ€™ll both be winners whatever happens ๐Ÿ†

Pocket List โ€“ Thursday โ€“ Day 27๐Ÿฅฆ๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ„ join me today!
    @linda.b
    @jaifaim

Day 27 – Ireland ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช – NFD

Pizza and wine last night, I have a work lunch in a local cafe today, and this weekend is the bank holiday weekend with DH’s Mum flying in to stay for the weekend, plus Saturday is our second granddaughters christening………

So LOTS going on, lots of celebrating (Dad was 86 this week and we had a party for him too)…….

From November 1st I am hoisting myself back onto that wagon!

Take care all, love to hear your stories, just don’t have time anymore to comment, but happy belated birthday @gardenlily xx

Day 27 – South Africa – NFD ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿท

@gardenlily – I volunteered to host November, because I couldn’t do October. Maybe you could host December? Or if you want to host November I guess I could host December? Whatever you prefer…

@matpi – a nap is so much healthier than a box of Twinkies! ๐Ÿ˜… But not nearly as tasty. We have them in SA too, but for some reason they’re called ‘Tinkies’.

@linda.b – yes, I’m aiming for AF November too! I’m actually going for 100 days but, one month at a time ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I’m already feeling the health benefits too, re the lower BP & just feeling generally more relaxed. And I noticed within the first couple of weeks that my resting heart rate dropped from about 63 beats per minute to 57, according to my tracker.

Day 27 UK NFD

Last minute changes mean I need to swap todays intended FD , not sure when Iโ€™ll be able to do another this week so I will stay steady today , I was really grumpy at the weekend as the scales showed Iโ€™d put a huge 5lbs on in a couple of days , thankfully most of that has gone so Iโ€™m just putting it down to one of those weird spikes so trying to just gradually ease back into better habits

So pleased to hear your DH back home and being well cared for @songbirdme

Watching the race with interest @stitchincarol & @northgeorgia

Sounds lovely, trust you enjoyed it @gardenlily

Day 27 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 212 lbs. I’ll pack a “break-fast” to go, as it looks like I’m ZBC’ing today. My “break-fast” will consist of some assorted nuts and a banana. There may be barbecue pork on the menu at work this evening for an event. It could be all gone by the time we get back from a meeting leaving nothing for me (oh well, fate! lol)

Nice to see Mr. 212 lbs again. The keeper of the gate lol

Day 27 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD

Shockingly, the scale was the same this morning (150.8) as it was yesterday morning, despite eating lunch and supper both. Lunch was the last of the taco soup from last Friday, and that steak dinner was yummy, but I sure didn’t want much of it, or eat much…perhaps that magic, where 5:2 lowers your appetite, is finally taking place now that I’m not engaging in EFS on NFDs. I do know that my decision to introduce milk back into my life is having a beneficial effect: I get full sooner and feel sated with less food. So, perhaps 3oz of steak, barely managed to eat my smallish (at least for me) serving of Brussels sprouts, and I did finish my entire half of an acorn squash. I’m certain, @northgeorgia, that I’ll pop back up after Sunday’s wine tasting dinner party, and after my traditional pumpkin cut-out cookies and enchiladas on Monday, so don’t worry I’ll beat you in the foreseeable future. On the other hand, my RESOLVE seems to be high, and I think of you throughout the day, LOL, so I’m going to give you a good run for the money, even if you are male with a higher metabolism! ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I didn’t sleep all that well last night, but I did manage to sleep until 8:30 and I’m supposed to be out the door at 9:00–that’s only 7 minutes away–so I’m another who’s read all the posts but doesn’t have time to comment. Tomorrow’s a peaceful day, however!

Day 27 – UK Cam – FD
    Going well so far – after a superb Asian Buffet dinner last night I needed a strict FD today – broke my fast with a cup of clear soup at lunch, apple to keep me going mid-afternoon and plate of steamed veg and spices for supper, drinking loads of water. We shall see what the scales say tomorrow!
    I should add a big thank you for all the birthday wishes – I had a super day with family and friends. I was chatting this morning with a neighbour – I took round a basket of apples and we were swapping storing techniques – I commented that even though the apples went wrinkly by January, they were still just fine inside – she commented ‘just like us oldies, wrinkles on the outside, sweet inside!’

@funshipfreddie – no, please, you host November – I did not realise you had already offered.

Got to dash – DH has dr appointment and I need to drive him in and out. Catch up with you all tomorrow.

Day 27 – USA – CD

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 344 total)

You must be logged in to reply.