Staying on track when you have a cold

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Staying on track when you have a cold

This topic contains 1 reply, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Big_Bill 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• My baby started nursery a month ago and we’ve had one cold after another since then. I was doing ok on the 5:2 until that point. I tried to keep going the first couple of weeks but then I read in the book that I should give it a rest.

Does anyone have tips as to how they stay on track with colds? I pulled on some work clothes today and they are beginning to feel tight – I’ve got little willpower at the moment and when feeling tired and ill end up grabbing crisps or chocs at work.

Hi MamaRun77

I can sympathize with you – I have a cold at the moment and am facing a fast day tomorrow. When you feel low you really just want comfort food don’t you? My way of tackling is by drinking lots of hot fluids. I will start off with some herbal tea (peppermint or the ones with licorice work for me but it really is personal taste). Bovril (beef broth) is also excellent and only 13 calories a cup. If I am really hungry I will often have this with a rice cake in place of a meal.

If you can batch make some home made soups (Google low calories soups like tomato, vegetable, minestrone – anything really)and keep them in the freezer. This is a great standby when you are not feeling up to making a meal.

If you have a temperature try some weak squash made with hot water and a soluble disprin or something in it.

Keep hydrated – plenty of water.

Have some protein – oily fish is rich in Omega 3 excellent for reducing inflammation, skinless turkey or chicken with some green leafy veg (kale is high in iron and also good). Garlic also has medicinal properties and does more than flavour your food.
    Finally have fruits or veg rich vitamin C (oranges, kiwi, papaya – apparently clears sinuses!, pineapple, strawberries, peppers, broccoli etc) and try to restrict carbs as much as possible.

Good luck – keep posting and let us know how you get on 🙂

Duds x

Thanks, Duds – that’s really kind and practical advice. I will try it on my next fast day, which is tomorrow.

I am just getting over a heavy cold. So is my 8-year-old daughter.

I am exactly the same as you, I am hungry and constantly crave comfort food when I have a cold.

My daughter lost her usually very healthy appetite and lost 2 or 3 kilos at least.

My only suggestion would be to try not to overdo it and then hit the reset button as soon as you feel a little better. I gained a couple of kilos over the course of a week but by the second day of fasting and going to the gym it was gone again.

Don’t stress over it, you are sick and you need to look after yourself and eat healthy. I would imagine that trying to fast while you are sick would do more harm than good, not just to your recovery but to the positive associations you have between fasting and feeling good.

I hope you feel better soon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.