starting after new years!!

This topic contains 396 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  Jilly R 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 397 total)

• Happy Tuesday. Happy indeed, because I broke my fast this morning with almonds and yogurt! I’m pretty tickled with my weigh-in. 4 lbs gone, but not forgotten! I’ve been thinking about throwing in at least one, maybe two, 16:8 days on my 5 eat days. Anyone ever done that with good results? 16:8 seems amateurish after doing the 36 hours on 5:2! I haven’t measured myself yet. Must remember to do that after work today. I might need those numbers to stay positive when the scale is not kind!

Yesterday’s FD was very difficult in the evening hours. My belly was screaming. I was hoping, like I read here, that it would be easier, but I think I sabotaged myself by not drinking enough. Still learning! Good luck to all who are fasting today!

I only eat between 12 and 6pm is that the same thing? I never eat breakfast at all as that makes me really hungry before lunchtime.

I’m still trying to figure out the drinking thing as I normally have 4 coffees and I don’t have these on fast days and don’t seem to be replacin them with anything else. I also don’t eat anything until 6pm on fast days.

Hi all
    I haven’t had much luck with 16:8, I’ve tried it several times as it seems easier than full fast days. But unfortunately i’ve overcompensated and just eaten on/ over my TDEE during the 8 hours. Even when I cut the 8 hour window to 4 hours. To be fair, my ‘normal’ eating over the last year has tended to fall in an 8 hour window as often as not anyway, and I just got bigger and bigger. But as long as you’re mindful (if you’re trying to lose weight), I think it’s great to have longer gaps between eating, from a blood sugar point of view.

I was down another 2lbs today since this time last week, and a half inch off my belly, and my work trousers are definitely more comfy after a long day sitting at a desk! Have been weighing most days though and it’s definitely slowing down.

Hi everybody, you all seem to be doing so great, and really helping each other out 🙂
    I had a weird day yesterday, was even up till midnight and still no hunger. Weigh in this morn after 2 fasts last wk and only 1/2 lb loss :(. I really though I’d see more movement as I feel leaner, and no budging
    on my waist either….Little disappointing, but I now know to curb more food and booze on my off days. I did that on the wkd, but obviously wasn’t enough. I really hope to have a successful wk and see a 1-2lb drop next wk.
    Onwards and upwards folks!

Hi Suzy, keep going and I’m sure the results will follow soon. There seem to be a load of posts on this site encouraging patience and that it WILL work. Sounds like you’re feeling good in yourself anyway- if a tad frustrated!!

Kelltoch, my “mentor” (other than y’all!), drinks unlimited coffee on her fast days. unlimited coffee, tea and water–no food. She got to her desired weight in ten months and now maintains with 6:1. I know there may be other issues with caffeine, but def not calories!

SuzyQ, maybe your good numbers are in your measurements rather than the scale! If you’re feeling lighter, let that motivate you to continue the good work though.

A few ppl in this forum have talked about doing 3 FDs a week. Wow! I guess one would just sing Annie’s “Tomorrow!” and power through. I’m not sure I could do that and I KNOW I couldn’t do back to back with no food, even with my trusty apple!

Well done SuzieQ and KK! Whether a large loss or a small loss we are all moving in the right direction and have to celebrate this. After all we are changing habits here and want to keep a lifestyle that doesn’t make us feel deprived and hungry all the time.

When I look over the posts from the “maintainers” they all report that their progress down to their ideal weight was slow and steady with more than a few stalls along the way. We will no doubt be the same.

So keep the faith and the fasts and in a few months we will all be feeling and looking at lot more like our dream selves again!

Great work everyone. I think feeling better in our clothes is a great result.

I am in the Bay of Islands this week so not good coverage. Haven’t been able to read all the posts thoroughly so will do that when home again this weekend. I have been doing Monday and Wednesdays but this week it will be Monday Thursday due to being away.

Suzy on my Monday fast I felt the same way – not hungry at all so didn’t eat.Just kept topping up with water. Amazing!
    Init-will look up that post by crofty too when I get the chance. Also thanks for your wise words about the lifestyle change. That is my ultimate goal too.

I am going to weigh myself again next Thursday and am feeling like it could be a good result. I’m aiming for 4 kg drop over 5 weeks.
    Keep up the good work everyone 😊

I am also back into the 5:2 after taking the last 3 weeks off for Christmas / New Year break. I weighed in this morning at 2 Kilos over which is not too bad considering I did not limit myself in any way. I am soon hoping to be back where I left off at 12 Kilos down. This should only take about 2 weeks.

FD yesterday, got weighed this morning and another 1lb down so that’s 6lb so far, although I still think a lot of it was water.

Abec – no headaches when I stopped the coffee, which really suprised me. Having said that I never got a high from it either and always took a mug of it to bed to drink while I was reading and it never kept me awake!

The reason I stopped it was because I read that your body can only process 1 cup a day and then the body stores the acid (in water) I guess I was hoping that with the amount I drink that I’d lose a couple of stones in the first month LOL

Everyone seems to be doing really well, so applause all around 🙂

Hi everybody, heading to bed. Super super tired for some reason. Taught a fitness class for a co-worker tonight. 2 in one day seems to be a lot for me. Horrible weather here. Boys school’s been cancelled last 2 days and I almost eneded up in the ditch today.
    I hope fast day #5 goes well tmrw bc I’m just drained right now, but I really want to see the scales move.
    Congrats to all who are working so hard, you guys should be so proud of yourselves. So true init. This is more about good changes than #s. I’m just a little bummed tonight that so many of you are doing so much better. Good luck whoever’s fasting w me tomorrow. cheers 🙂

Hello everyone,

Thought I would just add a line before going off to work.

3rd FD yesterday, found it pretty tough for no particular reason, other than maybe not busy enough in the office, plus i tried a sea bass recipe for supper that i didn’t find satisfying. for me if i am eating little, everything i do eat has to be tasty 😀. spoke to someone yesterday her dad did the 5:2 and lost the weight he wanted to and has kept it off since. i love hearing the success stories.
    Have a great day one and all.
    Sassy

Everyone’s path will be different, suzyqueue, try not to be disheartened. You are doing yourself a world of favors even if the weight isn’t coming off as quickly as you would like. My mind boggles when I read posts stating they have lost 17kgs in 6 months…how the hell does one manage that??
    My goal for today was to fast until dinnertime, which I have achieved. I drank a couple of coffees, teas and an instant miso soup, plus loads of water.
    The scales showed a loss of close to 2kg’s this morning, which I know is all retained water after the Xmas hols feasting.
    So now the REAL work begins.
    Good job folkes.

Morning Everyone!

Good luck to those fasting today.

Don’t be bummed Suzy! Your doing great. You know how these things work, nothing happens for what seems like ages and then you see a sudden jump in the scales and all is well again. Just keep the faith!
    And beware of any more ditches!

KK, yeah i save my cals for dinner time too. I have soup at lunch time (about 150) and tea/water throughout then a good 300 dinner. If anyone is interested in a very satisfying dinner idea, with chicken kebabs, i will share my recipe. I actually had this for dinner on a non-FD last week because i enjoyed it so much!

And Sas, yes, whatever passes my lips on FD has to be heaven, or i feel like i’ve wasted it.

Coffee – i see, you have a caffeine immunity! I envy you so much. I love coffee, but i loose my marbles with too much. When i’m working, i drink a lot of it because tend to do 36hrs on, but it then takes me a long time to come down enough to sleep.

For the first few days of Dry-Jan i couldn’t sleep at all! I’m used to a couple of glasses of wine in the evening, but now 12 days in, i think i’m getting better quality sleep when i do drop off!

How is everyone else’s Dry Jan going?

Pam, I am so looking forward to being one of those ‘maintainers’. I have 13.2kg left to loose. Slowly does it!
    The bigger you are, the faster the weight comes off at the beginning, so I guess if someone looses 17kg so quickly, KK, they would have to have been pretty big to begin with!!

xxx

Hello again,

Abecedary, dry January got off to a great start, feeling very holier than thou, when a friend came for a few days last weekend, so current score 7 dry days v 5 drink days…

Not quite so pleased with myself now, but we can’t always be perfect.

Yes, would love the chicken kebabs recipe.

Have a great afternoon,
    Sassy

Hello everyone. I definitely chose this eating “pattern” because I thought it was something I could maintain forever. I’ve lost before on low carb, but I’m not strong enough to stay off carbs forever. But I’m going to have to accept the fact that it will be slow. Sure, but slow. I hope you’re all having a good week. Happy fasting and happy eating!

A week and a half in and five FDs done. Still loving this way of life. 2.5kg (6lb?) lost so far. Well done everyone else for still being here too. I’m so excited to have found something so sustainable at last.

Kudos SLB! I’m with you on that!

Just a quick post here as I get ready for work…215pm on fast day #5 and I feel amazing. No hunger or headaches and I’ve only eaten steamed veggies. Praying tomorrow’s weigh in shows a tiny loss 😉

Cheering you on Suzie! Hope my 5th fast day tomorrow goes as smoothly!

Hey everybody!! I’m having the most fantastic fast day ever!!! I’m sitting in class singing, I have so much energy!! I’m not hungry at all, no headaches and I’ve only had oatmeal!! Wow I feel amazing. Tomorrow’s weigh in will tell if I’m doing my off days right. I’ve read a lot about the health benefits, so at the very least I’m getting healthy! Hope you all are having a great day too!!🍷

Hi guys. Still not hungry and in a good mood, but I am absolutely freezing. Sittting by the fire, 2 pairs of socks, pjs, blanket and just made a pot of homemade Veg soup. Boy oh boy.

Kia ora taatau(hi everyone)
    Just doing my second FD this week and it’s going well. Lots of water being drunk and no hunger pains as yet.
    Yay Suzy well done 😊
    Kkicks I am interested in adding in a 16:8 day just to assist keep my wine intake down! I tried just doing 16:8 late last year but it didn’t really work for me- like Jenn said. But it may work combined with 5:2?
    Stewart – hopefully that will be me next year 12 kilo’s down…..

Suzy, sounds like a great day, fingers crossed for you today that you’ve seen some loss at last, but if not (yet), you’ve been feeling good which is the main thing. I seem to have mostly got over the ‘cold’ feelings, or got used to them! But it’s kind of nice to have an excuse to snuggle down and socks and blankets anyway, in January.
    Jilly, good point about 16:8 helping to manage the wine intake (unless you make your eight hours from 4pm-midnight I suppose). Helps the mind and body get used to going for longer gaps without snacking too.
    Jenn x

Hi everybody, Suzyq is pretty happy today. Finally have some progress. Lost 1.1lb yesterday. Not as much as some of you, but I’m happy w that 🙂 So I’m up to 1.6lbs total. I’ll take it and hope to add on to it next week 🙂
    I’m not fasting till Sunday. I feel 2 during the wk is enough for right now. I also really want to work on making wiser chioces on my feed days, as I worked so hard for that loss. I also need to drink more water on those days too.
    JillyR, I’m a wine drinker too and have allowed myself 2 nts a wk to have a drink or two. I was initially in the habit of a glass a nt after work which I know is tough on your metabolism/waist, and once I find that easy then I’ll drop it to one night.
    I hope everyone has a great wkd. So my next fasts are su tu th, and hopefully by wed weigh in I’ve lost a bit more. It is very motivating to see that freezing your ass off actually does good 🙂 Chow

Yes Suzy. I’m curious (scared?) about my choices on eat days! I was a bad, bad girl last night. Chicken pot pie was a bad choice to begin with, but then I ate well after I was full! I’m fasting today. Will try to insure that I get enough water and tea so I don’t experience the intense hunger (knawing) of Monday. I have sat down to fiddle with days and hours and numbers to do more fasting if the 5:2 doesn’t work like I expect it to. Guess I need to work with other numbers too, like calories on eat days!! Anyway, I find myself manipulating to get my cocktails in every night except my two FDs! Problem? Yeah, maybe. My only son is away at college and I’m divorced so it’s just me and my two dogs and it’s too cold to do much other than watch TV. Bored. I’m just pleased that I stay dry on my 2 FDs. So I’m sure that many of you are thinking I’m a lush. Well, sort of! Not so much volume as frequency though.

My skinny secretary (who exercises ALL THE TIME!) lost 5.5 lbs on 16:8 in one week. She does keep her cals low on most eat days, like 1000 or so. I’m proud of her and I’m lucky to have a fast buddy even though we do it differently.

Everyone take care and hang in there!

Morning/evening everyone. First weigh-in today since 5 Jan and 2.2kg down – that’ll do me nicely. Had a dreadful headache yesterday which hasn’t been an issue for me before so am hoping that’s a one-off. Am also on my 11th dry day which has been a bit tough after the daily tipple over Christmas/New Year, but I’ll try and stick with it. I have a nice bottle of red in the kitchen that I keep looking at, knowing I’ll crack it open in February.

Sounds like you are all doing so well, either in lb/kg/inches. Keep it up and have a fabulous weekend all – just think how different you’ll all be feeling for Christmas 2016!!!

Well done suzie,jennifer and slb75!!

Always inspiring to read success stories when one is in the middle of a fast day. Feels like time is moving in slow motion and I am counting the hours til dinner. With time on my hands I decided to do some # crunching which was a bit of an eye openor for me.

By the numbers:
    Goal weight 143. Bmi for goal weight approx 1300/day.

1300 x 7= 9100 cal/week

If I do 2 fast days @ 500K each. 9100-1000=7100 cal remaining for the week.

If I want to lose 1lb I will have cut out 3500 cal from that remaining amount. 7100-3500=4600 cal remaining and 5 eating days left in the week.

4600/5=920 per day.

My eating days have been closer to 1600 cals.

Conclusion: I have to tighten up on my eating day calories too😠😢

Good evening!

I’m a newbie, ‘started’ this week but failed miserably both days. I manage to get to 5pm and then all hell breaks loose and I break into rice cakes and crackers before my planned 500kcal dinner. I am half way through the book and am very determined to try this diet for health benefits and also after reading all of your fantastic results. I just need some encouragement – have been maintaining 16:8 and exercising…even though going over 500c on FD’s. Can I buy willpower in a bottle? 🙁

Will try again Monday when I am out of the house and away from temptation. P.S Well done all!

Well done everyone, I’m gonna weigh myself tomorrow morning. I was supposed to be on fast day today but was going out shopping so would have had lunch out as I don’t get out often lol.

But as fate has it I haven’t been out in car in over 3 weeks and we have -7c last night and my battery froze which gave me a red battery light so I turned it back into fast day ggrr.

Hopefully I can get out tomorrow but it is really Icy and with all the floiding we’ve had its all turned to ice including huge puddles on road ekkk!!

In it to thin it you made me think about why in the past a pound was so hard to lose, and I just realized I have been doing it all wrong. I would calculate my numbers as follows. In my case I’m currently 150lbs give or take at 5.3 and have about 25 pounds to lose and if I wanted to loss one pound per week I would calculate as follows

TDEE = 1500 x 7 = 10,500
    Less 3,500 = 7,000
    Less 2 Fast days @1,000 = 6,000

6,000/5 = 1,200 calories

In the past when on a calorie counting diet I have been doing 1,200 per day, thus this shows I was over eating.

Hi Jay_U, Yes it was an eye opener for me too crunching those #s. For the weight I want to be, it doesn’t leave much snacking room if I want to be sure to lose 1 lb per week. Like you I have been trying to stick to a 1200 cal/day diet, for years, with poor results.

Calorie restriction seems much easier on 5:2 and my appetite is certainly being reset lower which is helping with staying in the BMR cal limit.

Vinbo, what I did on my first 2 fast days was on my board in the kitchen I wrote down everything I wanted to eat, and told myself that was my bkfast the next day. I had no problem sticking to the fasts as I knew I was having baileys in my coffee w some xmas chocolate when I woke up. Once I got to fast day #3 I didn’t need to do that, nor did I eat like crap when I woke up bc I flet horrible after, plus I didn’t lose after my 1st 2 fasts bc of it.
    I’m finally starting to lose bc I’m eating and drinking less on feed days and eating much healthier. I don’t know the last x I had a piece of bread bc I don’t want to sabotage my progress. I also planned on tonight being a drink night and I usually can put back a bottle no problem. Well I had one glass and put the bottle away. It didn’t taste great for some reason, plus I now have guilt bc I know that’s a big reason why I have a belly….I guess what I’m saying to all those out there struggling, is my weight loss will b slow, it’s just me, but more importantly I am for the first x in countless yrs really making smart chcioces and it’s blowing me away that this diet has done that. I’m an informed lady and have read just about every article there is on weight issues, and I finally understand what i need to do.
    Jennifer, great job on the weight loss and the dry spell! Hang in there everybody!! Let’s do this ❤️

Good for you Suzy, I too am finding my attitude is changing. I told myself this would be easy coz I can eat what I like on the nonfast days, but I don’t even want to eat the jaffa cakes and chocolate chip cookies in the pantry. Instead of eating chocolate or lollies straight after dinner I ate prunes. Luckily my husband is on night shift…

hey, what about me fellow fasters???
    i reported losing (over 2kgs) and have stuck to my fast and no ‘well done, KrysK’
    ..feeling sad and dejected now..:(
    RIP Mr Rickman

Well done KrysK – its sometimes hard to keep up with all the haps. I hope my result is just as good next week 😇
    Alan Rickman and David Bowie in one week. Both legends 😖.
    FDs over for the week so enjoying a quiet wine for Friday night….

Haven’t done my calculations as yet but will because I love numbers! Maybe keep it for when I need motivation.

I wonder who is this ‘typical woman’ who needs 2000 cals a day that we’ve all been basing our weight loss assumptions on? It seems that nobody here has a TDEE anywhere near approaching 2000!! Maybe that is why we all have a belly that we want to lose. Long-term I guess we will all need to adjust our daily food downwards and continue to use 5:2 as well, just to stay at our new-found healthier bodies. I’ve definitely learned that i don’t need as much but it’s been quite challenging to ensure that nearly every mouthful is nutritious and not junk! Results good so far though, another 1lb down so that’s 3lb this week.

Oh gosh sorry KrysK! Well done you! I’ve just finished watching Moseley’s doco, I kind of wish I’d had my bloods done. How are you feeling?

Woo hoo first weigh in on this diet and I’m down to 121 lbs so lost 1.2 lbs and lost 0.5 inches on waist which I’ve never been able to shift from 29 inches so really chuffed 😉

I am really happy for all of u guys and am lookin forward to my next fast, now that I can do it no prob.
    Krysk I am sorry. I smtms look at the posts really fast on my cell at work and I miss some ppl.
    Jenn125, my tdee is 2323, but I’m not counting on my feed days bc I hate doin that, I may as well be on weight watchers then. But I have learned to eat less and really healthy. When I plateau, I will deal w it then. Congrats on your loss!
    Kelltoch congrats on your loss and inch! I measured this morn, I think I’m down 1/2 inch on waist too, but I have much to lose still 🙁
    Good work everyone, and take care.

Well done kelltoch! Have you got your car troubles sorted?

KrysK congratulations! At 2 kg down I think that puts you in the lead. I’ll be following you and cheering you on. Any tips for us slow losers?

Kia ora Jilly, how did your second fast day go?

Suzy and slb75 I agree it is so amazing how quickly this WOE can change destructive eating patterns that have been in place for years and that have foiled all my previous dieting attempts. I feel very hopeful that on 5:2 I will finally reach my goal weightwise.

Thanks suzys and init. Yeah I got car fixed and got into town although I ended up at burger king whoops but k will still try to stay in 1500 fingers crossed hehe or will add another fast day on Sunday.

Woe is me! I had a terrible FD yesterday. I didn’t cheat, but it was very unpleasant! I ate 2 prunes in addition to my liquids. I felt fat yesterday and had a headache and terrible gas pains last night. I don’t mean to be a downer when everyone is so up with their new lifestyle. I just had a rough go yesterday. BUT I didn’t cheat. Had a persistent cough and sinus drainage along with everything else. Kept trying to give myself a good reason and permission to cheat!

In it, I know that eventually I will have to crunch my own numbers and I’m not looking forward to it. I guess it will help that I essentially eat zero cals on FDs (2 prunes?). I don’t THINK I do too badly on my eat days. I am down almost 6 lbs, but I don’t have that light feeling anymore. So, I’ve got a weekend ahead of me–all eat days. I hope I can behave!

Good luck to everyone over the weekend and congrats to all who have posted their losses and are still in the game!

Kk easy does it especially when fighting a cold. Only 2 prunes on a fast day? I would be fainting with hunger. I felt terrible on one of my fast days too, so I guess they can’t all be easy. But 6 lbs down is AMAZING!

A lot of the seasoned fasters talk about their body shape shifting and changing as the weeks go by. Hoping that will happen for us too.

Gas pains could be transit issues too. Less food in, less out so to speak. Prunes should help, I am using chia seeds.

Stay strong over the weekend fellow fasters. See you at weigh in on Monday.

Hey everyone.

Kkicks – well done on getting through that fast day. May I suggest using an app – or pen and paper 😉 to track your water intake? If I am not watching that, it totally slides away. I have started using a little android app for tracking and it really helps! I am also all for some self reward, even if it is just a tiny row of water glasses in my app 😎
    I also find that peppermint tea or black adder tea (with Licorice Root) help with bloating, gas, and general tummy ache.

Jenn125k – I am not on this mythical TDEE of 2000 either! I calculated mine at 1704. I wondered the same thing as you. Also, did you ever notice that when they have recipes in “Mindfood” they calculate women’s typical size with being 50kg! 50kg – how tiny are they?

I was wondering if we were to cut down so much on the non-fast days that it all turns into tiny tiny portions… is that still 5:2? It feels more like a calories restricted diet to me with two fast days thrown in. Also, the last time I tried 5:2 I totally over-ate on the non-fast days and it was not really working while being hard at the same time.

Sooo, in light of the TDEE values and truly shocking results when you do the calculations, and out of fear of overeating …. I am suddenly finding myself doing every-other-day fasting.

I started out on Beach 5:2 (where you watch calories on non-fast days), which turned into EAD-Fast while watching calories but I allow myself up to 2000 if I want, and 500 on the FAST days.

Result of the first week and a half: 4.5 kg down and lost 4.5cm waist!
    🙂 🙂 🙂

I think I will be sticking to this for a while and then switch to 5:2.
    Sorry for very long post.

Hello everyone!

I have only been able to read your post and not reply because i accidentally logged out and couldn’t remember my password. Anyway, i’m back!

Firstly well done on all the notifications of loss!! It is so inspiring!!

But can i ask a favour?

All this number crunching… its not my strong point, i have to admit.
    Can i tell you how i’m working it all out, and someone let me know if i’ve got it all totally wrong?

Okay, so at my ideal weight of 9stn, the calculator on this site tells me i will have;

BMR- 1298
    TDEE – 2012

Am i right in thinking (from looking at your calculations above) that i we need to be TDEE-3’500, in a week, to loose 1lb?

In that case –
    TDEE 2012 x 7 = 14’084 cal a week to maintain at 9stn….

By eating 500 on 2 of those days i am -3924 over the week…. so theoretically i could loose a stone a week if i stick to my 2012 the rest of the days?

Okay, i mentioned earlier, before i blocked myself, that i have been eating kebabs on my fast day for dinner –

Dice up a skinless chicken breast (approx 160g)
    Put it in a dish with the juice of a whole lemon, a generous tablespoon of pulverised fresh root ginger, a sprinkling of salt and a level tablespoon of clear dark honey.
    Mix it all about and leave it for a good couple of hours.

Then dust of the ginger from the chicken, thread the chicken onto kebab skewers alternating with halved (or whole if they will go) brown chestnut mushrooms and chunky red pepper.
    Start and end each skewer with a mushroom or a pepper, not the chicken. And you should get 2 and a half good skewers out of it.

Melt down half a (good quality) chicken stock cube in hot water (as little as you can) and mix it into whats left of the marinade.

Put the skewers under the grill and paint on some of the marinade a few times while cooking to keep them moist.

Serve with a large quantity of shredded crunchy lettuce, with a squeeze on lemon over the top.

Depending on how large your chicken breast is this works out for me at between 200 and 250 calls and fills me up completely!!

I am off to go and cook this now, in fact,

Sending much love!

A stone a week!?!?!? i bloody wish! I meant a 1lb!! xxx

Hi Abe and welcome:

If your TDEE is 2012 at your goal weight, and you have two diet days of 500 each week, you would be cutting 3024 out of your diet each week. To lose a pound, you need to cut about 3500. The question becomes what is your current TDEE? If it is 2260 or so, you would be able to lose about a pound.

Two items to consider – one, TDEEs are estimates, not fact, and you need to observe results and adjust. Second, as you lose weight your TDEE falls (toward your goal weight TDEE), so if you start with losing a pound a week, your rate of loss will fall as you lose weight.

Here is information on TDEE and how to compute TDEEs for various ways of eating: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

Good Luck!

Hi Abecedary,

almost but not quite. 🙁
    Your TDEE is 2012…2 fast days on 500 save you (2012-500)*2 = 1512*2 = 3024.
    That is not sufficient for 1 lb, sorry.

If you want to make it to 1lb per week:

either: 2 fast days each on 2012 – 1750 = 262 cal.
    or: 2 fast days on 500 and restrict the 5 other days to 1916 cal each.

[here is the math: week: 14’084 – 3500 -1000 = 9584, divide by 5: 1916.8]

Keep in mind, as you lose weight, your TDEE goes down so you need to recalculate after a while.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Hi

sorry to be butting in here, but I used to get hog tied over figures when I began this way of life a year ago – one of the other ladies here helped me out so thought to pass it on.

The 3500 calories equals a pound isn’t based on either science or maths! If you suppose that one gram of fat is 9 calories, a pound of fat is equivalent to 4086 calories. As a guide, an average person should lose about a pound a week – but who is average? It is a good estimate – won’t explain losing 3 lbs in one week and won’t explain losing nothing the next!

So rather than getting to far into the numbers, just use two – stay within your TDEE for your weight – or a little less – 5 days a week and then eat either nothing or up to 500 calories two days a week.

As you lose weight, keep checking and dropping your TDEE, it will go down as you go down in weight.

That is all you need – some folk will lose more than others, some weeks you will lose nothing – some weeks you will gain! Nothing for a month, then 5 lbs. Be aware of the trend, as long as the trend is down, you are doing great. Keep checking the numbers but don’t be a slave to them, TDEE is an estimate, calories in food are estimates (check any three sites and you are likely to get a discrepancy!) If you are religiously sticking to TDEE and 500 and not losing, simply drop TDEE.

Bear in mind that the reality for many of us is that we don’t need many calories. Luckily once you get used to 500 calories in a day, 1400 calories seems to be a feast!

Finally, 20% of the time JUST DO IT – no excuses, no extras, no sugars, no treats – and the rest of the time try your best, but don’t sweat the small stuff – forgive your failures and get back on that horse. And if you blow the TDEE – and you will – just do an extra fast day or two.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 397 total)

You must be logged in to reply.