Starting a New Life Style not a DIET!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Starting a New Life Style not a DIET!

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Cinque 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

• So everybody at the ripe age of 55 (my BD is in 3 days) I am finally committed to be kind to myself and bring joy to my life on a daily basis. I am a double cancer survivor so trust me we should all be kinder to ourselves. As my good doctor told me the second time I was diagnosed, you changed your body but hot your “head” it’s all in your mind. Yes I workout, but I did nothing to change the way I see things, react to them and process them. So the kilos started piling up because my best way to deal with stress was to have 2-3 glasses of wine a some chocolate.
    Now I am turning the page and starting this new life style were I wont be torturing myself with constant promises to myself that from … tomorrow…. Monday… the 1st… whatever..or I will start this or that diet regime depriving myself of small or big treats that make life a bit more pleasant. Right? So this 5:2 life style seems very doable. There is always tomorrow.
    I started yesterday and it went like a breeze as I said in few of my posts. I am finding today I am more conscious about when I feel full and believe it or not I stopped and didn’t eat as much as I used to on my non-fasting day.
    Anybody who wants to join me in my new life style?
    I meditate every morning for 20 minutes
    I do 5 Tibetan Rights every morning
    I do Stott Pilates 2-3 times week
    I move around a lot at work although I am a COO in a bank so should be sitting all day at my desk or on meetings. I do management by walking. 🙂
    What do you do to make life more for yourself…????

I’m on my second fast day, I hope it swooshes by fast hehe. My two fast days in-between were OK. Didn’t count calories, had some wine and biscuits but still when I got on the scale today I was 1.4 kilo down from my initial weight when I started.
    I have taken of substantial weight off 8 years ago but it crept back during pre-menopause and has been going strong since – I have been gaining about 3 kilo for the past 5 years. I have tried a type of life style diet called Hrono Diet but is a bit too restrictive in the evenings for me. Again you feel deprived although it works and you can eat everything but it depends on the time of the day and again at dinner it is greens and some light protein all the time!
    So now without high expectations I am giving this life style a wholehearted chance.

Good luck its a great time of your life to do this. I was 54 when I started 2 years ago. In the 1st year I lost 13Kg, took up Tai Chi and had trousers that fell down by themselves. The 2nd year was about stabilising the weight loss, which I did and changing what I eat. Now I grow my own vegetables (mostly), cut down red meat and carbs and buy only a small amount of processed food. This year I just started baking my own bread. The plan is to lose another 10Kg this year. For me a great thing is to weigh myself every day and write it in a notebook in the bedroom.I have now started using the tracker and that shows ( after a month ) a gradual decline. Some weeks show no weight lose some a small gain, some dramatic falls. But if you stick to it the zigzag line gradually heads down. Additionally the Fasting has lots of other health benefits anyway. Also vegetables have become an ally as they are really low in Kcals and are great on fast days ( I am bias though)
    Have you thought about a stepometer or app to see how active you are at work? I was given a fitbit a couple of days ago (I am ignore the Kcals used its its very misleading).

@dfaithfull thanks for all the good advice based ore real experience. I am very active at work although I have a sedentary job. I am COO in a bank and should be glued to my chair but I do my management by walking. I’m in charge of 9 departments and never call people to come to me, I rather get my big b*t up and go to them. I only take the stair… you get my drift. I also exercise regularly so no problem in being fit even before I started this life style. I have 11-12 kg to loose. If I get there in January 2016 I will be very happy.
    Unfortunately I can’t grow my own food. Although where I live most produce is organic. But my biggest problem is that I don’t like most vegetables. So this is a challenge to acquire taste for kale and broccoli….cauliflower and all the other great vegies I would love to love 🙂
    So I wish you all the luck and hope to hear from you soon on how things are going for you.
    Love m

@dfaithfull thnks 🙂 I will try them for sure.

I am back. I started this thread 9 months ago but quit 5:2 for no good reason. I succeeded in loosing almost 10 pounds by various methods but then put back on almost 8.

I am back because of this story I am about to tell you.

My middle daughter is a scientist, molecular biologist who told me a story about a group of scientists on the first floor of her lab building who were working on Alzheimer’s where they put rats with the same Alzheimer’s gene on various diets. There was a group that was feed fast food, a group that ate a healthy diet a group that was put on a 5:2 fast and a control group of course. The gene was set to “kick off” after 3 months in normal circumstances, which it did for the control group and the one on a healthy diet. The fast food group developed full blown Alzheimer’s after just a month but the one on the 5:2 fast developed the disease after 12 months.

So the scientists tried the whole fast thing on them selves. What they did is take pictures of themselves and detailed blood work on the walls of their lab and updated them (photos and all) at first every 6 months, later every year. When my daughter started doing her PhD in the same lab they were on a fast for a decade already. She tells me that they look a decade younger that their initial photos and that their blood work, and all other results are textbook although they most of them are well into their 60s.

So not only are they an ideal weight but they are healthy and look much younger that their generation.

This is why I came back.

Makica,

Great story, thanks for sharing. I’ve only been on 5:2 for a couple months and am doing it as maintenance rather than to lose weight. This allows me to indulge a little once or twice a week without gaining weight. The other health benefits are a bonus. Now if they could figure out how to reverse aging rather than slow it down I’d be all set.

Hope you have success with 5:2.

Bronx

Hi Bronx, yes reverse would be great but at 55 I am OK with who and what I am. Just my knees and lower back aren’t. Because of that I exercise a lot. So I am pain free at the moment and in order to stay that way I need to lose these 2 stone/ 12 kg so that at 65 I don’t need a wheelchair although being a gadget freak maybe a portable Segway wouldn’t be so bad. 😀

I’m 58 and it’s not so much how I feel, but it would be nice to look a little younger.

I was working on a computer in an edit room at work a few months ago when a very good friend came in the room. She said, “Oh, I was wondering who that old man was sitting in here.” Our relationship is such that she can say anything to me and know I won’t be offended, so she may have just said that to push my buttons a little. But still I know I wouldn’t be mistaken for a 35 or 40 year old!

Bronx

OH Bronx I bet you look better that that friend. Specially so slim now. My soul is 24 my body 55. I can only do that. Keep my soul young. So join me in the young adults in different packaging club. 😀

Hi Makica, I’m a 70 yo male I have been on this 5&2 journey now for about a month. My initial weight was 14 st 4 to 6 lbs. Wine nearly every night a little exercise each week but nothing too strength testing.
    My wife and I decided that we wanted to do our selves a favour and create new bodies and lifestyles so 5&2 using a very strict 2 day fasting regime of 500 or less calls. And just on the point for the rest of the week.
    The results are happening as I write. My weight is now 13st, blood pressure is down from nearly 140 to 112.
    I feel great and will carry on for a long time to come.
    Keep up the work on your life we deserve it

@hakedarby you are so right. Wish my husband would join me. He had a massive heart attack 2,5 years ago but still can’t get his mind around food and some kind of restriction and discipline.

Congratulations to you and your wife on your success! I am so glad for you. Right there behind you. 🙂

need to loose about 5 stone .. no pressure !! ?

Andy what are your expectations? Management of your own expectations is the key to success. If you give yourself time to adjust and to loose slow and nice then you are in the right place. If you want it here and now we are not the bunch for you.

So 5 stone in …. a year? 18 months?

Hi all! Great to read all the stories here. I’m on my second week of 5:2 and on a fast day today. I’ve registered here to help me, and as a distraction cos I’m really struggling today. The previous 3 fast days have been relatively easy but this one is really hard! Any tips will be gratefully received ?

Well there are 2 ways, you can meditate and become an expert in dealing with cravings or you can read something interesting, watch a movie, talk to friends… anything that distracts you. The hunger pangs don’t last very long and a cup of clear soup or a tea can make them go away. Even a glass of water will sometimes do it for you. Think of tomorrow and that you have done so well and that you shouldn’t throw away all you went through today. So just keep going and all is going to be fine. The first 2-3 weeks are the toughest. After that it becomes a habit, a part of your life, you even look forward to the fast days.

Love m

Tina why don’t you join us on this thread https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/mid-fifties-just-starting-and-hoping-to-lose-weight-yet-again/ I think you would have some fun and get loads of support.

Thanks for all the tips! I do feel really happy I haven’t given in…and I know I’ll be feeling great in the morning! I’m going to the thread you mentioned right now, thanks so much ?

TinaJ,

Makica is right, it gets easier as you get used to fasting, although some weeks seem more difficult than others. Stay strong and in a moment of weakness think about how great you’ll look and feel when you reach your goal. Wishing you great success.

Bronx

Hi Tina, congratulations on getting past the hungry wave. Some fast days are hard!
    I agree about feeling great in the morning, waking up after a fast day is lovely!
    Cheers

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply.