So far so good but.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gail B 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi everyone,I have been doing the fast diet in one form or another for over 18 months now.l tend to 5 do days (work days)of either 19:5 or 16:8,I find this quite easy as I can easily go without breakfast and lunch,I tend to break the fast witness a “Nutriblast”which I pack with leafy greens,cooking Apple,mixed berries,seeds and nuts.More about me,I will be 63,in February,I am 5ft 6” and currently weigh 9st 10lbs (please don’t say “what is she moaning about!”lol)I have stick thin arms and legs and no butt to speak of i seem to carry my weight around my middle and have the dreaded “back fat”l walk a lot and don’t drive and I have recently started swimming again after 25years,twice a week for about an hour breaststroke.l do do some weights every other day but nothing major.l have recently read an article about a very scientific Study that has said “Fasting increases belly fat”!!….As I don’t seem to be able to shift anything from that area I wonder if any of you have any thoughts on this because it has sort of put me off this way of life and I don’t want to give it up really..Help!

Hi Gail,

It hasn’t been my experience that fasting increases belly fat, and I haven’t read anyone else here saying that.

Could you give us the reference for this article/ ‘very scientific study’?

Just googled it. Unless you’re a mouse it might not be directly applicable…

Skipping meals sets off a series of metabolic miscues that can result in abdominal weight gain, a new study in animals suggests. In the study, mice that ate all of their food as a single meal and fasted the rest of the day developed insulin resistance in their livers — which scientists consider a telltale sign of prediabetes. When the liver doesn’t respond to insulin signals telling it to stop producing glucose, that extra sugar in the blood is stored as fat.

19 May 2015 – But fat around their middles — the equivalent to human belly fat — weighed more in … The research is published online in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. … In mice that gorged and then fasted, the researchers saw elevations in … That makes for a happy fat cell — but it’s not the one you want to have.

That is the article I read.And surely a lot of these studies are first tried out on mice?

Well I’m not a mouse. And I don’t fast for 20+ hours and then eat my whole day’s TDEE in one sitting. So I’m not sure that the research is directly relevant to me.

However, I can tell you that I have been fasting intermittently since January 2014. My bloods were all normal in April 2014 and they are still all normal now.

And I have a flat stomach. But then I’m more of a pear than an apple.

Not sure who funded the research, but I’d check for any affiliation with the food or pharmaceutical industry before I got too exercised about it anyway.

If you are an apple, then I think your stomach inevitably will be the last place the fat goes from. However, unless you have any reason to think you may be insulin resistant or pre-diabetic I would suggest you don’t worry about this research.

Yes,I am an apple so you are probably right.Thanks for that,I will carry on and not worry about it!

Same here. I have only been doing 5:2 and 4:3 for 9 weeks, and have lost 4.5 ” from my waist ( and 3 from the hips, and 2 from the bust).

The above poster is correct: a lot of the animal studies, while useful in a sense, aren’t always relevant to humans. And a researcher can always interpret his or her findings to fit their preconceived ideas (or those they are being g paid to see) How sad is that?

Pretty sad,thank you….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.