Slow progress

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Charley Webb 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi everyone,
    I have been doing the diet for 6 weeks now and have lost under 2kg. At first the Kg cd off quickly, but then after a weekend drinking and eating more, I went back to my original weight and have been trying to get it off again.
    I probably sound stupid but I thought the idea was that you could eat whatever you wanted on non fast food days? I have been pretty good during the week and then had some drinks and ‘naughty food’ such as carbs at the weekend and that seems to destroy all my hard work as I weigh myself during the week and can see the difference but then it comes back on by weigh day on Sunday.
    Surely this is in fact a full time diet in that case if I always have to watch what I eat?
    I have read so many people saying the weight is falling off and I am not getting the same results. It’s starting to make we want to give up so I would really appreciate some kind words and advice which isn’t just ‘watch what you eat every single day!’

Hi Charley,
    There is no magic to losing weight, it is just maths. You need to consume less calories in what you eat and drink, than what your body needs to maintain. So look up what your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE)is under ‘resources’ then ‘BMI calculator’ which will give you the number of calories that you need to consume for 5 days to stay the same weight, and that to fasting for 2 days of no more than 500 calories =weight loss. The average is 1 lb a week. This isn’t a diet but a way of life.Food doesn’t make us fat but habits do, so change the habit and lose weight.
    You can consume what you like on a non fast day(NFD) just not how much you would like.
    I started this in January 2013 and some weeks lost a lb and some weeks lost no weight but began to shrink, clothes became loose. Both Christmases I have put on 10 lb and then spent the following year slowly losing that again-very demoralizing. The sad fact is that I have to change what and how much I eat this year to prevent a repeat performance and have already thought about the mince pies/Christmas Cake and Pudding all of which that I love. This year I will love them just as much but will have far far less in the house. I got fed up with getting to the same numbers on the scales and not getting past that so decided to see what my TDEE was and then compare that with what I was actually consuming. I was consuming around 500 calories a day more, so no wonder I was ‘stuck’. As an experiment I decided that for 1 week I would have 2 FD at 500 calories and 5 NFD at my TDEE with the result that I lost 2 lbs.
    Try for a week writing down what you eat and drink with a running total and see what you are actually consuming in relation to your TDEE. I was shocked when did this and could see what changes I could make to lose weight. It is your choice.

Hi Charley, It must be so frustrating to have lost so much less than you wanted. Scales are meant to be scientific, but our weight changes so much they can be confusing. I remember a dietician showing a graph of how weight bounces around over a day, and days. He recommended, to avoid confusion, only weighing once a month!

I bet you didn’t eat more on the weekend than the meals you miss on fast days, so it will come off. Feasting weekends might just mean it is slower.

Leaving the scales aside, have you noticed other benefits? Are your clothes fitting any better? Do you feel nice and light (digestively) after a fast day? Those are the things I am enjoying with 5:2.

Charley,

No kind words I’m afraid! Just the truth.

You can’t really believe that it’s possible to lose weight while overeating? No one can eat more food than their body needs/uses and lose weight.

In my experience 5:2 really is an incredibly easy way to lose weight. Two days of the week you severely restrict calories, but if you make sensible choices you won’t be ‘starving’, and for five days you practice eating ‘normally’. That means for most of us, as Annette points out, letting go of the bad (overeating) habits that resulted in us being fat in the first place.

I didn’t count calories on non-fast days, but I cut out added sugar and bread/ pasta/ rice/ wine during the week. I drink at weekends (and occasionally during the week) and do eat whatever I want at weekends (just in smaller quantities than previously).

I lost 14kg in early 2014 and I’ve been under 60kg since May 2014. I’m pleased that my eating habits and portion sizes have changed, because I’d rather be slim and eat mindfully than fat and eating whatever I want. It’s been said before ‘nothing tastes as good as slim feels’….

If you want to lose weight you are going to have to eat less. If you don’t want to stop overeating on non-fast days, you could always increase the number of fast days (4:3/ alternate day fasting/ every other day).

Good luck, whatever you decide.

I disagree with Cinque. It is obvious that you are not eating normally but overeating on non fast days or you would be losing weight.
    The biggest misconception with 5:2 is the phrase “eat what you want”
    It means that no foods are prohibited not that you can eat unlimited amounts of anything and everything. The fact is we are overweight because we eat too much so it is self evident that we need to eat less than we need to lose the excess weight.

When I started 5:2 I lost weight easily and then the loss stopped so I started to pay more attention to what I was consuming on non fast days by counting calories for a couple of weeks. No surprise that I was eating above my TDEE. I now eat whatever I want on non fast days but in much smaller quantities, and I’ve lost nearly five stones.

It is a sad fact that there has to be some sacrifice in order to lose weight and you are going to have to cut down on the amount you eat on non fast days. The benefit of that is that it will change your eating habits and make it easier to keep the weight off.

Good luck.

Hello everyone,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to speak to me. It means a lot to hear from people going through the same experience!
    My hips have lost 6 inches since I started so that has helped me feel better and I will certainly look into my TDEE! Another thing I am ignorant about!
    Thank you again! Much appreciated!

Click on the “how it works” link at the top of the page. You’ll be able to calculate it. I suggest you either select sedentary or enter your goal weight. That’ll give you a bit of leeway for the occasional over indulgence.

Can I just clarify. Should I be eating my TDEE per day or BMR? One is a lot lower than the other. Forgive my stupidity!

TDEE is the maximum you should eat on a non fast day. BMR is what your body needs if you lay on the sofa all day!

Remember that the numbers are estimates and that it is best to err on the side of caution. The less you eat the more you lose so it is not necessary to eat up to your TDEE if you don’t want/need to.

Thank you! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.