Skipping Lunch to help with maintenance – can't find any info on this!!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Different approaches to intermittent fasting
Skipping Lunch to help with maintenance – can't find any info on this!!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Keen to hear if anyone has tried Skipping Lunch as a maintenance methodology?

Thanks to 5:2 I am broadly speaking in Maintenance these days and I am looking around for new ways to keep the weight off.

I’m thinking of experimenting with combining 6:1 with skipping weekday lunches.

I do know that this is not PROPER fasting, so I wouldn’t get any of the health benefits associated with IF.

However, I find lunch a really tricky meal and I am always tempted to have chocolate in the afternoons if I’ve eaten lunch.

When I don’t eat lunch, I sail on through to dinner time and I experience ZERO temptation to eat chocolate or drink wine (my two downfalls!!) So I figure that this has to be a good thing!!!

The reason I am posting this is that I have scoured the internet to see whether anyone has employed my proposed approach successfully, but there is no-one posting on this subject!! The only posts I can find are dire warnings that I will gain weight from skipping lunch (which I’m inclined to disbelieve given my copious research into IF over the last few years!)

I would love to hear people’s views!!!

@simcoeluv – would love to hear your thoughts in particular!!

Thanks

So why eat lunch? Is it a cultural norm? Or is it necessary? The more my husband and I did 5:2, the less we wanted to eat lunch. So now we don’t. My Husband will have a beverage and a few pretzels or crackers, while I have 8 oz of milk and 1 oz cheese [I need 1200 mg Calcium daily]. On the rare occasion that we go out for lunch, we don’t have dinner [we call it ‘Linner’]. Most everyone with whom I am in contact [see “Maintainance Chat” on this Forum] refrains from lunch.
    You’ve got the right idea. Join us on the Maintenance Chat and bounce your ideas off us.

I’m in maintenance too and I find skipping breakfast helpful. I know breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day, though skipping it works best for me. If skipping lunch works for you, go for it!

PS From my research, the way to gain weight is to calorie restrict every day. I’ve not read one report on weight gain from skipping a meal or IF.

FiveTwoFan,
    If you read Michael Mosely’s book about 5:2, he specifically mentions skipping lunch. He says that once he reached his goal he adopted a 6:1 fasting regime for maintenance, but in addition to that he also stopped eating lunch on work days unless it was a special occasion.
    Like Minka, I skip breakfast most days as I’m rarely hungry then.

Skip whatever you want to skip. I’m with Minka and LJoyce, I seldom eat breakfast and usually have a very light lunch. It doesn’t lead to overeating later. What it does lead to are lectures from those people who are firmly convinced that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I ignore them, although last time it was hard to resist the temptation to point out that they were all more overweight than I am.

Technically your first meal of the day is breakfast even it you don’t eat until supper time. The serious studies I’ve seen show that eating the first meal early in the day tends to reduce the amount of calories consumed later in the day. No real hard and fast rules there just trends. Clearly some people don’t fit in to that way of eating. I do but some don’t.

The most important meal of the day concept is just advertising. In Japan it is clearer because most people just eat leftovers for breakfast. Not much difference in the foods between morning and later in the day. Sure you can buy breakfast cereal … it is just a lot less common here and a lot fewer choices. A big untapped market for the process food pushers!

Now I do like to eat breakfast but I’m finding I have less and less desire to eat lunch these days. I like oatmeal for breakfast and it just seems to be lasting longer and longer. If I’m going to have a big lunch for some reason, then I pretty much have to skip an early breakfast making lunch a late breakfast.

Thanks everyone for all your great replies!

I’m really enjoying skipping lunch!

Hope the Fasting is going well for you, 52Fan.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.