Shift worker

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  scampbeast 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hi.. I’m new here and haven’t started the diet yet, but I do have a question that I couldn’t see answered here. My husband is a shift worker doing 6 days on and 6 days off and his days or nights are about 12.5 hours long.. so naturally he can’t fast on his working days.. so does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this. The only way I can see around it is to do 10 days and then 2 days fasting, but that doesn’t seem like it would do much good and I can’t see him doing it for any longer.

Thank you.

Hi Chaylastorm and welcome:

You might type ‘shift work’ into the search at the top of the page to see what others have said about it.

Good Luck!

Thank you simcoeluv.. I didn’t see that at the top. I think that’s going to help a lot. 🙂

Not sure what he does but why couldn’t he fast on work days I know they are long but work days are the best to fast as you are busy.

Put everything together and he can eat over the shift.

It will just take pre planning.

If he wants to do it then he could always just use his 6 days off, eat one day fast day, eat, fast, eat, fast – then he has fasted for 3 out of 12 days which is pretty close to the 4 out of 14 he would do if he was following the 5/2. I too am a shift worker, 12.5 hour shifts but I am 2 days in 2 days off. I work at a psychiatric hospital so really wouldn’t like to be walking around feeling hungry. but what I have read says that after 1-2 months your body gets used to fast days and by that time I would probably be fine to fast even on work days.

“but what I have read says that after 1-2 months your body gets used to fast days ”

I’m really, really hoping that proves to be true. : )

@rick the expat and others

It’s turned out to be true for me so take heart! (I’ve been doing 5:2 for about 6 months.) Some days are still a bit of a challenge, but now I have experience of riding/ experiencing the hunger and I know the roof won’t fall in if I’m hungry! Other days, fasting is a breeze – honest!

Best of luck
    BB
    🙂

I work 13 hour shifts and plenty of the staff have been fasting on work days. As long as he has access to fluids and can plan what and when he is eating during his breaks there shouldn’t be a problem.
    I was apprehensive about doing my fasting on days with a nightshift but it has worked out fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.