severe asthma

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  chrissmash 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• have severe asthma and been on prednisolone for 9 years. Does anyone have experience of successfully reducing weight whilst on steroids? Am 58 years old and bloated but unable to reduce medication.

Hi. I was just searching for the same answer. I take it intermittently for asthma but I have to go on high doses for about 8 months for an autoimmune condition that flares up every year or two.
    I have been on the diet for a year and it helped me loose the 11kg that I put on from the last long term use of prednisolone. Now I have to go back on it and I am wondering if there are people who have done this diet while on this drug long term. I get very hungry when I am on it even when I am not fasting. And I am worry about developing diabetes from it so I am hoping to keep doing the diet this time round.

thanks iris,tried the fasting yesterday-took all the medications including prednisolone uniphyline and nebs.Have to say felt pretty rough-nausea blinding headache,fatigue muscle pains etc.Just ate strawberries and drank plenty of water.Will try again Monday and see how it goes.Like you am keen to reduce risk of diabetes.

Hi 7lives

Hope your fasting day went ok. I am on my second day of fasting since i have gone back on prednisone. It hasn’t been as bad as I feared. I just had a poached egg with prednisone for breakfast and then had a light dinner.
    I am also trying to eat healthier on my non-fast days compared to when I am not on prednisone. I am hopeful that this will work and I am wishing you all the best with your journey.

I found out that my asthma was due to a severe dust mite allergy and since moving to have board floors with no carpet and being ultra careful of washing and sunning bedding, washing the floors with hot water with vinegar and eucalyptus oil in, have no need to take the steroids…was a big relief.
    I occasionally have a few days with unidentified source reactions (anaphyalctic shock) but only 4 days at most.

Hope you may be able to identify the cause of the asthma and reduce the meds…made a huge difference to me. Best wishes.

Thank you both so much for your posts.Iris 14 am looking forward to hearing about your progress and hope that you are able to keep the weight off whilst going back on the prednisolone.
    Matrika bless you for the advise-yes was on injections to help severe dust mite allergy-so pleased that you are bet
    ter.
    Am looking forward to continuing with the fast days and wish you both well.

7 lives, good luck with the fasting. If you had injections for severe dust mite allergy, if there is any way for you to remove carpet, it makes a massive difference.
    Got me entirely off all asthma meds but I realize not everyone is able to manage to remove the sources.

Best wishes…it can be done if it is allergies, mostly if identified, you can get rid of the cause and recover. 🙂

Thanks Matrika-we got rid of all carpets when on zolair injections but unfortunately my lungs were already scarred.
    Good to hear that you were able to see such an improvement-well done.Fasting today much better-no headaches,twitchy airways or nausea1

Update-feel well-lose 2 lbs every fast day but do put it back on within 24 hours!Would suggest-
    discuss with your doctors before you start,not all medications work as they should when fasting.
    Listen to your body-I fast all day and eat at night cos once I start eating I cant stop!
    Don’t weigh yourself every day as it can get disheartening.
    Get rid of the snacks in the cupboard -as Mimi says they do cooe to you all day.
    I feel a big difference in memory , mood and clarity of mind.
    Hope you all do to.Good luck.

Hi, just wanted to drop in on this one, since last August I have lost 3 stone on the 5:2 and my asthma used to be very bad, its almost virtually gone now!

Keep going!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.