September Challenge

This topic contains 1,413 replies, has 92 voices, and was last updated by  Minka 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,414 total)

• Essex, UK

Day #2 NFD today and working from home will be harder.
    Sept loss: 1.3kg

FD yesterday went well and I lost a lot of weight, but this must be due to the stopping of alcohol which was being heavily over consumed on a daily basis!

SURREY UK DAY 2 NFD

Last day up in the Midlands, going home tomorrow, just checking in for now.

Yesterday Fast Day was hard and I had more than 500 kcal in the end!

Day 2 USA (Illinois – travel to Utah)

FD for me today. Sometimes on travel days it’s easier not to eat!

Going to try to read the previous posts later on, but hang in there everyone!

London Day #2 NFD
    Weight 68.8kg (Sept target <65kg)

Finished my first 32h water fast. Also managed to fit in a hot yoga class in there. Should have been a 36h fast, but I’m happy with the first attempt. No significant problems apart from a slight headache this morning – keeping my self hydrated.
    Broke fast last night with tomato soup and avocado/tomato/onion/blue cheese salad.
    Calorie count approx. 635

Today’s (NFD) challenge is to stay away from sugar.

D2, Australia. FD
    Yesterday was to be an FD but I got muddled counting calories so decided to make today a no food fast day, it seems to work better for me…no angst of when and how much to eat. I’ve just gone 24 hours, I made a watery soup with a tea spoon of miso and I’ll possibly eat tomorrow. Walked my darling dog 5.5 kms and I’m bursting with energy and don’t feel hungry at all.
    I wish you all success.
    VP

Day #2/USA/NFD

Went a bit overboard on carbs yesterday, but not too bad. Next FD will be Tuesday next week as Monday is a holiday here and I’ll be playing golf and having a lite beer or 2 on the course. I like to fast Monday & Wednesday, but next week will have to be Tuesday & Thursday. Now to keep control over the weekend….not an easy task!

Stay strong everyone!

UK day 2 – NFD. Just about managed my FD yesterday…by which I mean I had a biscuit at 6.00pm and then ate a whole lot more biscuits until I got to my meeting, where I sat with a face like thunder furious at myself!
    I don’t tend to count on NFD as the sustainable thing about 5:2 for me is normality on NFDs…but I do need to get a bit more mindful about making healthy choices rather than indulgent ones.

Gozo, Malta

Just checking in as I have to travel to Malta to my eldest daughter who has a one month old son to help her and tomorrow she’ll be coming with me home.

Will not be going out to dinner this evening but I’m still fasting half day and eat a normal meal this evening.

Have a great Friday everyone. Onwards and downwards.

Question; I’m not jsut dieting but having a real life change, stopping non-social drinking is the biggest part for me as I over indulge every day, and have done for the last 15yrs! Does anyone know of a good detox to help kickstart off this new change that would fit in well with a 5:2/4:3?
    Thanks
    J

Hi Essex, I too gave up the nasty booze last year, it makes for a much easier and healthier life.
    Hello Sunday Morning is a great online support group that may interest you.
    Good luck with everything.
    VP.

Check out Hello Sunday Morning, it may interest you. I joined last year to do a 3 mth alcohol free challenge and I’m still going strong.
    I hope it help you.
    VP

Thanks VioletP, feel better even after one day!! I’ll check it out.

US, Day 2, NFD.

Decent FD yesterday. Miso, a handful of almonds. For dinner, a perfect peach with Gorgonzola, and … a gin cocktail. A bit high, but a good day for me.

Rewarded with a lower number on the scale.

NFD Plan. Breakfast, a fried egg on a tortilla, coffee.

Lunch, some leftover stuff eggplant and a side salad of cucumber and tomato.

Dinner, grilled chicken, zucchini and salad.

Have a great day, all!

UK day 2 NFD today challenge for me is enjoy the weekend but not undo all the good work earlier in week, will have a good catch up on posts tomorrow

Day 2 Cornwall UK.
    Nfd today I don’t think I’ll be under tdee today. But I’m ok with that!
    Good luck all!

US Day 2 NFD
    Raed312 I have the same problem with anything sweet. If I want a treat I have to buy just one item and not a bag of them because as sure as I’m writing this… I will eat every last one of them. The only thing that works for me is to not buy or have anything like that in the house. Luckily my daughter is doing this with me and my husband has never been one for sweets so I don’t have anyone begging me to buy biscuits/cookies etc. Not eating breakfast (which I prefer to do) has also helped me stay under TDEE on NFD’s.
    Gooseylucey Lol… my husband is the human trash can at my house too!
    JFitzy…. You were in London on vacation or living there? Where in Ireland are you from?
    SSB – Good advice on sugar/carb-free and good fats. That’s my goal for this month.
    TrishDelish It’s great that you have your husband on board with you. When I mentioned it to mine he looked like I had asked him to walk the plank☺ One of my favorite meals on an FD is zucchini noodles (courgette). I bought a spiralizer and love it. I sauté it with salt, pepper and garlic and add a little lemon juice at the end. I normally have it with shrimp or chicken. It really fills you up for very little calories.
    Minois… I think we’ve all been there and done that. I can’t count how many times I done something like that and been so ticked off at myself.

Heading to work now. Check back in later.

Day 2|NFD|85.5 kilos
    -unfamiliar “old school” scale
    -holiday weekend away at a lakeside cottage

NBDS day 2 F2F just finished my second day of fasting yesterday I’m sitting here with a cup of lemon water and ready to start a food day. It’s was my second fast day and I feel very comfortable. I wake up feeling strong and healthy. I’m really pleased with this -love the Sept challange. Have never posted like this ‘ if I tell my friends what I am doing I will get a lot of feedback about ruining my health and being stupid and assorted other things so I figure I will keep it to myself and you thank you for listening

BRAZIL – 02 days

Challenge September,

Fasting only Monday.

Yesterday a few as evening bone broth.

Hugs to all!

itsmyturn, there’s no need to discuss your eating habits, but feel free to tell them you are working with two doctors….Moseley and Fung!

Itsmyturn – I agree with K-Lo. Less said to some people, the better! I was faced with similar when I started. Now they’ve shut up and some of them even joined the wagon, having seen that it works.
    Be positive and keep at it. Happy to listen 🙂

Debbie Q – what spiralizer do you have? would you recommend? I love spiralized veg, but not got round to getting one of those. thanks

Day 2/Pa,USA/FD
    Goal #1: Drop from 134 lbs. to 118 lbs.: 132.2
    Goal #2: [I’m changing this goal from maintenance to] Make good choices on NFDs

I did two FDs in a row, and felt pretty shaky and a little sick this morning. So although I wanted to hold out longer to break my fast, I ate an egg with chia and fat-free feta around 7:30 a.m.

I resisted eating (buttery popcorn!) last night while watching a movie. Watching tv has been a favorite time to indulge in (mindless) snacking (a terrible, horrible thing to do–I know!), so not eating anything was a challenge and I’m proud of myself that I did. (Whew! Day 1 gets a star!)

Now I’m admitting to all of you that I’m going to get donuts with my Mom and kids at lunch time (it’s a special occasion). Normally, I could eat a dozen without any trouble (once I start, I don’t want to stop), but after two FDs and seeing the scale go down, I’m not dreaming of doing that today. Lord, please give me strength and the desire to STOP after a few bites, or just one. Last night, knowing that I would have to admit to you if I didn’t accomplish an FD yesterday helped to give me the strength to resist the popcorn, so I’m hoping the same will apply during my donut trip today.

Positive thoughts to all! Let’s make it a great day!

itsmyturn — I am not telling anyone what I’m doing just yet either. In the past, I’ve recognized a pattern. I find that as soon as I start talking about what I’m doing to lose weight, that’s when I lose my direction and start back on the path to old habits and gain back any lost weight. I’m sure it’s some kind of self-sabotage, but I haven’t yet figured out why I do it or how to overcome it. Since 5:2 is different, I’m praying that this is a life-change rather than a(nother) diet.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this pattern? If so, has anyone figured out why we do it? If I could figure out the why, then I can definitely figure out how to overcome.

Yes, spiralizer reviews would be welcome. I’m hesitant to bring yet another tool into my kitchen but I think I would really use this if it’s easy to set up and clean.

Day 2/ Minnesota, USA/ NFD
    Yesterday’s FD went well with bone broth at 3 pm and then a salad and 2 eggs at supper, for total of 400 cals. Weight back down to 144.4 lbs. Going out tonight and will not eat until then. I will try to be mindful and stay under TDEE. Good luck to everyone!

Day 2: Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, UK: Non-fast day. GREAT NEWS…I hit my target weight for the first time this morning!!!
    I started 5-2 on 1st May with the Coda challenges. It’s taken four months to lose a shade under two stone (27 pounds). Admittedly I weighed after a fast day this morning, so the aim is to consolidate and be able to be at my target after an eating day, so I should probably lose an extra two pounds for lee-way. The September challenge for me will be to maintain my weight now.

Sounds like we’re all off to a good start! Keep up the great work, one day at a time!

K-Lo,
    I bought a Paderno spiralizer from Amazon about 3-4 months ago. I really like it and I use it about 4 times a week, minimum. It’s fairly easy to clean up if you run the blades under the faucet right after using it. I use it for zucchini noodles, mostly. I also make the smallest size sweet potato noodles and bake them spread out on a cookie sheet after coating in coconut oil. I bake until almost crispy (they crisp up more when you let them sit) and some are charred. Grandkids love them. I sprinkle about half with cayenne for the adults. I sautéed the zucchini noodles and added to a fettuccine sauce I made the other night. Sprinkled lots of parmesan on them. OH loved it.

Day 1 – Cleveland, Ohio, USA: Fast Day – did great with a large salad for lunch and vegetarian chili for dinner. Threw lots of veggies in the Chili & still stayed close to 500 cals for the day. Felt energetic all day – was easier than last week (I’m new to this way of eating).

I bought a Paderno also. I keep a toothbrush handy under the sink to brush out the blade after using. I find that the spiralized zucchini lasts at least 3 – 4 days in the fridge so I tend to do about 1.5 lbs at a time. I’ve also made the Alfredo sauce over it and it is fantastic. On fast days I just use lemon juice and add some shrimp or chicken for protein.

Spiralizing is great fun I add a little tomato sauce and meatballs and you have your faux pasta dish that we like better than pasta. I love it and have been using it about two years. Started with a handheld one and recently recently purchased the crank type from Amazon under $20 us

Day 2 – Los Angeles – NFD. FD yesterday went ok. Hoping to stay well under my goal TDEE today. I feel my determination starting to slip a little. I’ve been doing 5:2 very consistently since mid-March and this is the first week I’ve veered toward old bad habits. Must double down.

Day 2 – USA – NFD

Hi all! I’m a day late in starting. I’ve got to get back into the habit of posting. Happy to see so many new people! I started with the July challenge and have lost 11 lbs. I do 5:2 and eat all 500 cal around 6pm. I am a runner and I’m training for a half marathon. I do run on fast days, but usually just the morning of a FD. It’s hard in the afternoon. I think I eat more carbs than most on here, but I have found running easier if I do. I’m up to 9 miles on Saturdays and I need fuel! My FDs are usually Mon and Wed. I weigh on Saturdays, so I will post my weight then. I hope to lose another 15 lbs or so.

We’ve had some crazy weather here in Florida, so I missed my run yesterday. I hope we get to run on Saturday!

I look forward to getting to know you all.

itsmyturn, Amazon has at least THREE crank-types under $20! Can you be more specific?

Day 2 Sussex, U.K.
    NFD today. Fast went OK yesterday. Had black eyed beans with chorizo and sausage. Then succumbed to a solero just before bed.
    Not hungry for breakfast but long walk with OH and dog and surprise lunch at pub. Tomato juice followed by liver and bacon with veg and mash.
    Got home and remembered that cider vinegar in water before or with a meal reduces the blood sugar spike, so glugged that down asap!
    Think I shall just liberally douse everything with a tablespoon of it now. Lol.
    Keep strong everyone, weekend coming up.

Hi Patti67, where are you in Sussex?
    SSB

Day 2 Sussex NFD
    Started the day with a run after low-carbs yesterday so hopefully a good fat-burn.
    Flat white coffee without sugar + several cups of tea with skim milk.
    Late lunch of Ryvita with full fat cream cheese and smoked salmon. Dinner tonight – homemade chicken and veg curry – carbless (for me anyway – OH will have rice or naan)

I think your focusing on this not being a diet process but a change in life style, and eating culture, is the right way to go. I try to focus on sustainable changes that will help with long term general health and well-being. Setting realistic, and maintainable, goals is what I have been told succeed. This challenge focus on NFD eating is a great aid in doing that.
    I do not tell people but let them observe positive changes and then share if I feel it is appropriate. Besy wishes from “The North”.

SSB – I am in Eastbourne. Where are you?

Day 2 USA NFD
    Weighed in 2 lbs lighter after yesterday’s FD! Very encouraging and I feel motivated to keep my carbs/sugars under control today NFD.
    I’ve enjoying reading your posts about spiralizing veggies. I actually purchased a machine from Amazon about 2 years ago and finally gave it to a friend because I never used it! Now I think I will borrow it from her and spiral some veggies for dinner tonight.
    Question: is it better to count calories on NFD or just count carbs/sugar and keep them low? Say under 50-60 on carbs and under 25 on sugar? We like to use coconut oil, avocados and other healthy fats for the brain benefit – Grain Brain by Dr Perlemutter- and the calories add up quickly.

Patti67 – I’m just outside Uckfield so not far from you.
    SSB

DebbieQ thanks for that advice. I had my ready meal (M&S beef stroganoff) & added a bag of ‘corgetti’ which gave me a total of 442calories, it was quite a heap of food but very tasty & most welcome. Hubby had a tagliatelle meal also with the corgetti & I think his total is around 550calories. That’s another FD in the bag for us. I will check my food processor (MagiMix) as I can probably make my own version of the corgetti with one if its attachments. Tomorrow is going to be my big challenge, ie counting two lots of calories & organising the food, though I’m looking forward to preparing some fresh food. I have dusted of my copy of the Hairy Dieters & have decided on Greek yoghurt, berries and an English muffin for breakfast, will try to have that at around 10:30, then Hairy Dieters chicken & ham pie with veg & a few small potatoes for evening meal. I think the pie will be large enough for 2 meals so hopefully that’s Sunday sorted also. The portion size part of this worries me as I have no idea what’s too much or too little in terms of calories, I don’t want to leave us feeling tired of being hungry then give up & eat a pile of junk. Maybe I need to add a small lunch in somewhere. I should add that hubby eats whatever I put in front of him; he has lost about 18 lbs over the summer. Heading to Tescos now to stock up for the coming week. Good luck to everyone over the weekend.

#2 / NFD / Derby, UK

Was going to do a 16:8 today but was just too hungry by lunchtime. Had a chicken salad dressed in apple cider vinegar and homemade evoo aioli. So delicious, I felt like I was cheating. Then had an ice cream when out with a friend. Oops. Not very hungry now, so probably won’t eat until tomorrow lunchtime. Worried that 2 NFDs over the weekend will set back my weight loss (needs to lose 70lbs/30kg), so going to try zero sugar and carbs for a few days. 😇

Day 2, Québec

I exerciced more than usual yesterday and my weight was higher this morning. Grrrrrrrrr. So I decided to take care of that right away and I’m doing a FD today. It’s almost 4 pm and I had almost only liquids.

The more I do it the easier it gets.

Wishing everyone a very nice we x

Positive in PA – HI there!

My experience has been just the opposite from yours. When I tell people of my diet, I am much more motivated to keep it up and show people that it’s working. In reality, I have had so many people notice my 25 lbs gone (since March 15) that I’ve had to explain this diet to them. Some are really amazed I can actually go 36 hours only on liquids. Sometimes I am too! 🙂

Québécoise – don’t be too discouraged by the post exercise weight gain, it’s most likely due to water retention that happens immediately after. Specially since you did more than you normally do. It’ll come back down in no time 😊

Day 2, Leicester, NFD

I fasted yesterday and made a stir-fry with a roasted chicken breast. I had no problem with fluid intake and managed 3L easily. I woke up today and wasn’t even hungry until 1:30pm when I finished off the stir-fry from last night. Evening meal was roast turkey and spicy cabbage. I did still indulge in junk food this afternoon but found that I did not enjoy it as much as I expected. I feel less bloated than usual but will not be weighing myself until day 7. Even though I am within my calorie limits, today I felt like I was cheating and almost guilty. I have found it difficult to accept that it is ok to eat “normally” 5 days a week and still expect a weight loss. I will be doing a FD tomorrow and see how things go…..

day#3 did 2 days 16:8 went well till last night then blew it on some bread doing a FD today I am lucky my family are very supportive.

Everyone is doing such a great job. It’s so lovely to be part of such an active challenge to keep you feeling motivated. Even those who have struggled or ate something they wish they hadn’t, I think it’s all part of the process. We learn from the mistakes we make and we do all make them. But we can just try to do better next time. It’s nice to have support. I think it can be really hard to break the habits we have formed over years, but that’s what we are all here working towards, so we are making progress.
    Loving hearing about all the lovely zucchini noodle dinners, I’m talking note of them to try later. I love a garlic, chilli prawn with zucchini noodles. I used to do it with spaghetti, but since I tried it with the zoodles I wouldn’t go back. Even my husband was super impressed by how good they are and is happy to eat it regularly. So looking to expand my zoodle reportior. So thanks for the ideas.

Day 3 Australia NFD
    Yesterday’s fast went well. Didnt eat until 7.30 dinner.
    Very happy when I stepped on the scales this morning to finally have broken through to 67.9 kgs! Lost 400gms. So glad I added yesterday’s fd. I have been trying for weeks to get there. Was close two or three weeks ago at 68.1, then started doing some weights and went up almost 2 kgs despite doing 4:3 at the time. So has taken a lot of work to get back here. But also happy to feel like I have made some muscle too.
    Good luck to everyone fd or nfd. We can all do it. And thanks again for all the motivation.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,414 total)

You must be logged in to reply.