Restarting 5-2 with keto

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Stevesqevowl 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• A long time ago, I tried the Fasting Mimicking Diet (FMD): 5 days in a row of minimal calories each month. I really liked the idea of the health benefits and weight loss. I made it through 4 rounds, but it was always a chore and not enjoyable.

Then I found the 5-2 diet. I really like the concept and I was able to stay on it pretty easily. I lost 35 pounds and I was able to fit into my pants and dress shirts again.

But life happened and I stopped the 5-2 diet for many months and regained 7 pounds. I tried to start the 5-2 diet again, but my heart wasn’t in it.

Most of this time, my wife has been on the keto diet for health reasons. I was eating mostly keto meals for dinner, but adding extra carbs. High fat and extra carbs is not a good idea.

I was determined to restart the 5-2 diet and came back to these forums. In the science forum, I saw the discussion about the Longevity Diet (FMD). I still love the idea, but not looking forward to the execution.

Further reading showed many benefits and links between the keto diet and fasting. It seems the real benefits of fasting come when your glucose stores are depleted and you enter ketosis. Also the worst part of fasting is depleting the glucose stores and switching into ketosis. Why not just skip the glucose depletion when fasting?

Every gram of sugar contained in your muscles and liver includes 3 grams of water. If you loose water weight while fasting, you’ll regain the water weight after fasting. Alternatively, if you start a fast while in ketosis, you don’t loose muscle weight and you don’t loose water weight. Nearly all of the weight lost is fat. After the fast, you don’t regain the water weight.

So I did a high-fat version of the FMD for 5 days. I entered ketosis on the start of day 3. Then I started a keto diet. Now that I’ve been on keto for a month, I’ve reintroduced the 5-2 diet. Trying to get the most benefits from a weekly fast, I’ve decided to do two days of water fasting back to back. I’m on the second day of water fasting.

Although this is my first time doing the 5-2 diet while on the keto diet, I have to say it seems easier. It’s probably because I’m motivated, but the science seems reasonable.

Anyway, that’s where I am and what I’m thinking. I’m happy to be back on the 5-2 diet and look forward to fitting into the next size down pants.

Good luck, Bagua. How is the weight loss going for you? I can’t wrap my head around eating fat [keto diet] so that you can lose weight [Fast Diet]… But if I works for you, go for it. We’ve been Fasting for 5 years and are doing fine.

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are not right. I am assured. I suggest it to discuss.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.