Restart Day June 15th 2016

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Restart Day June 15th 2016

This topic contains 116 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mama2two 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)

• I managed, without too much fuss, two days of a modified juice fast. It was not as bad as I feared but I am treating today as a regular day.

I did lose a couple of pounds on the juice fast and will gain some back today. This is an interesting tweak: 2 FDs to 1 regular day as weight loss slows down. If that is sustainable then I will keep at it.

Having 2 FDs in a row (probably less than 200 calories each day) makes ADF look positively luxurious!

This is very slow but the good news is:

30% of desired weight loss done
    anticipated to be in ‘normal’ BMI weight by end of January
    target weight by end of May

The biggest concern is a reduction in metabolic rate that is large and permanent which makes staying at the lower weight a daily fight. What to do about that?

I have been replacing sweetened drinks with juicing on FDs. An added benefit is that patches of dry skin are clearing up a bit!

I do add in more apple and lemon to the juice and have only a couple of small cups a day which is about all I can take.

Hi! We’re back from camping- had a great time 🙂 Good job on the 2 day juicing! And great job on losing 30% of your weight! That is awesome! I also plan to do juice fasting on my 5:2 fast days. I’m still on my juice fast- Day 24 today. I’m amazed that I’ve stuck with it this long. I originally planned to do a 5 day minimum (with a 10 day goal) in lieu of my 5 day water fast goal (I’d really run out of gusto to do another). But then I’ve kept pushing the end day out farther & farther as I reassess how I’m doing & feeling. I’m now shooting for 4 weeks (28 days) or 30 days or 2 more weeks or…? I’ve lost 17 lbs in 24 days. It’s mind-boggling. I’ve been working on these 25 lbs for 7 YEARS!!! My clothes are all baggy, I need to get into my tubs of clothes that I saved in case I ever lost the weight. I am getting bored with this though, that’s my main struggle. I miss eating dinner with the family, though I do drink my juice at the table with them or drink some chicken broth with them. I’ve had plenty of time to really think about the foods that I truly enjoy rather than the foods that I just ate out of habit. I’ve been daydreaming about smoked BBQ beef brisket!

mama2two, that is absolutely fantastic! I am so impressed, that is quite an accomplishment.

In fact, I am so impressed that I will give the juice fast another try. Today is a regular day for me so I might not get to it until next week. I am traveling afterwards so it will be a short one at any rate.

I need to experiment more with juice recipes. I do not think I could do a week (or even 3 days) of the basic green juice.

I agree with you about truly enjoying foods. Since I can eat anything every other day, I have (!). I find that there are really no foods that I must have. There are foods that I miss because I haven’t eaten them in awhile. Once I have them and no longer miss them I can give them a pass.

It is funny. I find food rather disappointing once I have eaten just enough to no longer feel hungry. I may have found my true appetite!

As an aside, thumbs up for beef brisket :). I am thinking of getting an electric smoker since I want to get back into LCHF on my regular days and I need an alternative to rib roast.

that’s huge that you are finding your true hunger. That’ll be key to maintaining. I’m still on the juice fast, Day 26, still losing. I’m in full pms right now, though. I don’t want to break the fast until I’m past pms because I notoriously eat the whole house during this week. It’s interesting to see it while fasting. I’m finally over my addiction to the sugary/salty cupboard food, which was one of the main reasons I started this. I’d look in the cupboard every day or so to see if I felt any pull to eat that stuff & it took almost 2.5 weeks to get over it. Now, though, I look in the cupboard during pms & while nothing looks good, the ‘crunchy snack’ still calls. I can now see how powerful pms is for me & why I would lose weight during the 3 weeks & then gain it all back during pms week. I’m not sure what to do, but I’ll need to come up with some sort of pms plan for me for the future… maybe juice fast during that week every month? I’m not sure.
    Ya, you definitely need to find juice drinks you like. Some are really good, some are okay & some are just plain gross.
    I like my son’s recipe ‘Fruitie Tootie’ in the morning: about 2 oranges, 1 grapefruit, 1 lemon, 8 carrots, 1″ ginger. It’s very refreshing. You can add an apple or another orange in there if it’s too carroty. I actually hate the taste of carrot juice, but discovered that carrots paired with citrus is amazing. It usually makes about a quart, so I nurse it during the day if I want something sweet.
    I also like my ‘Salsa Love’ recipe: 1/3 or more cups salsa, 2 cucs, 1/2 bunch cilantro, tomatoes sometimes, 2-6 cloves garlic, 1 jalapeno, 1 or 2 limes, 1 or 2 red bell peppers, 1 jicama, 1 or 2 handfuls of some green. If you like Mexican food, you’ll love this.
    I also like my Italian Marinara recipe: 2 zuccini, 1 red bell, tomatoes, 1/2 bunch parsley, 1/2 onion, 2 handfuls sweet greens (like mache), 1 lime, 2 apples, 2 carrots, 4 celery, add salt & pepper.
    Hopefully some of those drinks are good for you!

Thank you for the recipes, they are very helpful.

I made a version of your Salsa Love recipe: tomato, bell pepper, salsa, cucumber, cilantro, garlic and lime. I didn’t have jalapenos or jicama but I did put in Tabasco and salt. I liked this one and I can use the last of the cilantro in the garden. It reminds me of a Bloody Mary. I will try putting in some celery next time. It is a nice alternative to green!

I do not drink much juice during the day so I am ok with adding in more fruit. I like the grapefruit idea – I haven’t had grapefruit in ages so that will be a treat. I did have coffee with a little cream and sweetener to replace black coffee that I usually have with food. At least it is all liquid and will give my digestive system a rest.

I am going to do this today (day 1 again!) and see if I can do it tomorrow :). I generally feel fine after FDs so it is 90% psychological. In the worst case I will try LCHF during regular days again. I have gotten away with lots of carbs during regular days but I need to wind that down.

So LCHF it is instead of consecutive juice days. I have too many restaurant meals coming up so the consecutive juice days will have to wait a few weeks. I really want to give it a go so it is still in the plan.

Now it is FDs with juice and coffee (with a little cream) and regular days as low carb.

Green apple juice: 1 Fuji apple, 1 cucumber, 2 celery stalks, 2 kale leaves, squeeze of lemon juice. It is green from the kale but it tastes mostly of apple. I am going to try increasing the greens and see if it still tastes good but without the heavy sugar content.

Juicing on FDs + LCHF on regular days seems to have shaken something loose and I am back on track after a lull. It may just be getting rid of the glycogen and may be a one time thing but I am optimistic that my gut is happier and ready to help me lose weight!

mmm, I’ll try that- sans the kale (hypothyroid), but I’ll use spinach in its place. Maybe my kids will like it, I’m trying to get them to drink more juice. I made the huge error of giving them super green drinks at the beginning in an effort to improve their health & now they’re very suspicious of any juice I give them except the Tootie Fruitie one.
    That’s great that it might’ve helped bump start you. I’m finishing up day 28 today- a full month!! I’m undecided how much more I’ll go. I’m PMSing like crazy right now, so I’ve got to go until I start my period, but I might just keep going till I get to my goal weight… I’ll take it day by day since the loss is slow now that I’m so close, about 1 lb every 3ish days. Maybe the pms is slowing it down too.. we’ll see.

I love what you are doing. Your updates are very motivating.

I am not there yet, I have to take things in stages:

– 5:2
    – ADF
    – ADF with LCHF which is where I am now and 3 pounds down this week – glycogen be gone!

I have to stairstep my way into this but really want to try your juicing diet in the future because I suspect I will need it.

For the inner child in me I tried: 2 Fuji apples + 4 stalks of celery + lemon juice + 1 leaf of kale + several leaves of Romaine + tiny sliver of ginger. That was actually very good and still very green. I have it over ice in a glass and it looks like a cool cocktail.

It is also super sweet. Those medium-sized Fujis are extremely sugary so I will try adding in a green apple in place of one.

I read about the kale issue. I do not have thyroid issues (knock on wood) but it does pay to watch it.

It pays to juice at home. Nearly $7 for a small, 15 ounce bottle of juice with apple, celery, spinach, romaine, kale, lime, lemon, parsley and cucumber.

I thought I would try a commercial green juice to see if it was any better. Tomorrow is a FD so I will give it a whirl. I am off traveling in a bit so my diet will go up in flames :).

I do intend to try a longer term juice fast, my longest is 2 whole days with lots of complaining, when I return and things settle down. I don’t know if I can do it but I will try!

You’ve done so well for so long that I’m sure you’ll do fine on your travels. The end of today will be 5 weeks for me on the juice fast. I’m on my period & still going. I’m down 21 lbs. The loss is still slow- about 1 lb every 3 days or so, but it’s steady & predictable & I even have occasional faster drops. Every day I’m undecided about how much longer I’ll go. I’m only about 3 lbs from my goal weight. Part of me wants to go for the 3 more (that way it won’t be too terrible if I do a quick 3-5 lb gain when I start reintroducing food). Part of me is just done. I’m dedicated to Friday (that’s when I’ll be in town at the grocery store- 45 min drive). But I’ll decide on Friday. The next town day is Mon, so I’m pretty much deciding based on my access to the grocery store.
    I’ve gone through all my clothes that I’ve been storing for 7 years. Nearly all of them fit! I feel like I’ve gone shopping! It’s pretty exciting to fit in the clothes that I seriously didn’t really believe I’d ever fit in again. This juice fast has had it’s ups & downs, but in the end it has been such a short period of time to get me to my goal & I’m so glad I’ve done it. The next big goal will be maintaining. I’m hoping the 5:2 (2 being juice) + staying off sugar & grains will be the perfect healthful combination. I’m hoping that if I avoid sugar & grains that I won’t need to think about low carb, especially since I’ll be maintaining rather than losing. I probably need to stay at this weight for several months in order for it to become my new ‘set weight’. It would be too depressing to gain it back, I seriously cannot let that happen.
    Anyways, good luck on your travels… hopefully some of it is for pleasure & not all business!

Wow. That is truly amazing. I am gone next week but now I am excited about having something new to do when I get back.

The ADF has been great but it has really slowed down now. I do like the idea that I can pick it up for maintenance because I wonder if 5:2 or 6:1 would be enough for me to maintain since ADF is so slow.

I have been doing juices for fast days and it has been an interesting change. I have heard it gets easier after the first few days. Some days have been easy and others have been very difficult so maybe the start/stop of it makes it more difficult. I certainly hope so.

At this point I am amazed that you have been at this for so long. I cannot imagine that I can do it but I am going to give it a try anyway.

Good luck sliding into the finish!

Well that didn’t go very well! Gained back some pounds and will need to get back into the swing of the ADF this week. I will start off with a juice day tomorrow – reducing the amount of Suclarose has really helped – and see how it goes.

It is a very long journey!

Back on ADF today. The expensive bottle of commercially made green juice is not very good. It is much better to make it at home.

It smells and looks the same as the homemade variety but it has a slightly bitter aftertaste. If I had to drink this for several months I would quit today.

Hi Kcaun,

How are you doing? I’m on a FD today, just juices. Not digging it, but trudging through. I put on 4 lbs in the past month. Not bad, but this has to be the limit, I have to keep things in check. I’ve really enjoyed cooking this month. We’re still doing the GAPS diet, so we live on mostly soups with some protein at dinner time. But we had 2 birthdays in the past week, so the cake & ice cream has done it’s number on me & a FD is in order.

Viewing 17 posts - 101 through 117 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply.