Periods and fasting (for the ladies)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Periods and fasting (for the ladies)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Pattience 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• Hi gals,

I was just wondering how you guys get on with your fast days and Mother Nature? I was having a really good day, only had 300 all day (just dinner) and I went to go to work (I do bar work) and POW, there she was…Mother Nature. I felt really dizzy and sick. I drank some water but nothing helped and I had to walk to work, so I picked up some Malteasers at 187 calories and had to just crack on at work. I felt a bit shakey, which normally I dont.

Do you ladies still fast on these days or wait? Advice and stories welcome 🙂

Cheers!

I had the odd shakey fastday very early on (up to about 3 months into the diet) but I don’t remember them specifically being ‘period’ days too (maybe they were, I maybe just didn’t make the connection). Anyway, in the great scheme of things, as long as you get through it ok (sleep off a migraine/ have the bag of malteasers to head off the faintness etc.), I wouldn’t worry too much, I expect it’ll be a passing phase of your body getting used to this WOE.

My ‘period’ experience on 5:2 has actually been a massive motivator for me. I previously had very heavy, painful periods and was washed out and moody sometimes by them. None of that on 5:2. I had a little 5:2 holiday over my birthday week this year and had a period due straight after – it was NOTHING LIKE as bad as they had been in the past but because I’d had that holiday it was more painful than I’ve been used to and was a very timely reminder that it really doesn’t matter if I ever lose another pound on this diet – I AM NEVER COMING OFF IT. 😉

blis89 I recommend an Iron Supplement everyday! That really should help

Hey Bliss89, I agree with arobin1366 on the supplement. I have iron and vitamin supplements every day. My periods are normally quite heavy and painful, but as long as I stay on the supplements I know I won’t get any deficiencies.

As far as the rest goes, you have you period (hopefully) once a month, and if you really suffer from fasting on those days I wouldn’t worry too much about straying from the holy path of fasting that week 😉 I don’t think it will change too much, except you will perhaps feel better.

Best of luck!

Hi bliss89, if anything i find fasting easier when i have my period. Today i went for a run after yesterday’s fast, and didn’t break my fast til at least midday. Given, i didn’t run as long as i usually would but i think fasting is easier when you’re menstruating cos you already feel quite full and bloated. But every woman is different and if you’re feeling too faint, then maybe u do need to pick other days on which to fast. hope that helps – all the best!

I have only recently started fasting, and I am planning on NOT fasting during my period. (That means dropping one fast day a month.) I have rather heavy periods and am prone to dreadful muscle cramps in my legs and thighs during and in the few days after my period (although, after the birth of my children, I no longer get abdominal cramping). I think that is a definite sign of some sort of deficiency, although I have never been able to figure out what. I have tried taking a general vitamin around the time of my period, but that doesn’t seem to help. I had anemia for about two months after the (premature, c-section) birth of my son 6 months ago, so I am taking iron supplements every day. I need to discuss with my doctor the extent to which I should continue with the daily supplements.

For me, this adds up to not even attempting fasting during my periods!

I would also like to toss out a couple of questions.

I also remember reading a number of places that women often have increased caloric needs leading up to menstruation, and that can require as much as 500 extra calories a day. Does anyone know if that has any proper scientific basis?

About anemia and menstruation… I have seen that higher doses of iron supplements are often recommended for menstruating women. Aside from cases of extremely heavy periods, does one really lose enough blood to become anemic from one round of menstruation? Or is it more a case of a deficiency building up over longer times?

Cramps in your legs could be related to dehydration and this is often the result of electrolytes being out of balance. One thing you could try is to take a sachet of those expensive salts you can buy at the chemist and just take them over this period and see if it makes any difference, as well as making sure you drink enough.

The salts in contention are magnesium potassium and i think zinc. But if you include more ordinary salt in your food, then these other things tend to come right because salt improves absorption from your food. at least i think that’s what i read recently.

Anyway its a fairly cheap and clear cut way to check this theory out.

Read this before running out to buy your iron supplements.
    http://www.abc.net.au/health/talkinghealth/factbuster/stories/2013/09/19/3852256.htm

Bliss i’m not sure why you think your dizziness has to do with your period instead of eating so few calories.

When your brain isn’t getting enough fuel, it can cause the symptoms you’ve experienced. Your brain can’t run on fat after only one or two days of fasting. So your brain may not have been getting enough fuel. The brain’s first choice is glucose. Second it will go for protein but that has still to be converted from muscle if you haven’t got any protein floating around in your system so it would take a bit of time. And i am not sure if 187 calories from the maltesers would have been enough to get you through your shift.

I think it would be good to discuss all the possibilities with your doctor.

If iron doesn’t help with symptoms, try calcium supplements – they often come with vitamin D to help absorbt. With most multivitamins the combination of iron and calcium means that neither get absorbed very well. I find that taking iron in the morning and calcium in the evening makes a big difference.

Bliss, if you’re concerned, it might be worth checking in with your doctor to do some standard blood tests – iron, blood sugar and vitamin D levels are the ones I get every few years.

@tagnorge. You’re right about women burning up more calories on the 5 days lead up. And at about 500 calories.

Hi girls

I’m wondering if anyone finds they weigh more at any particular TOM (i.e week before period, week of period)?

I also found that mine aren’t as heavy since fasting. On the odd time I’ve not fasted properly or been on hols it’s been horrendous again afterwards. Definitely another fasting benefit!

I wonder if fasting affects fertility?

My fast day (new to this) fell on day 2 of my period, and my flow stopped entirely. It resumed with a vengeance when I had my post-fast meal. Woah! I’m assuming it’s just my body knowing what to do to cope with starvation. Any similar experience?
    Also, overall fasting has been tremendously beneficial i felt almost no PMS and this is a major plus. THUMBS UP.

I am currently having major problems with the pill I’m on (Cerazette). I keep thinking things have settled down, and then BLAM, it all goes haywire again. I’m stuck on this progesterone-only pill because I’m not allowed to take the combined because I have atypical migraines, which makes me a high stroke risk. All the other alternatives the doctor has offered me are awful, so I’m stuck with this.

I’ve been on my period for 6 days now (sorry if that’s TMI!), I’ve had really bad PMT for over a week (to the point where I’ve cancelled social things because I’m such bad company), I have an absolutely splitting headache, I’m totally exhausted despite having had plenty of sleep this week and I feel a bit dizzy and spaced out. I am trying really hard to fast today, but all I want to do is eat. Normally I don’t struggle at all on my fast days, and I’ve been doing it for over two years, but I’ve never found it this hard before. I’ve never been so hungry in all my life. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?

Hi all,
    ChichitaGatita I have the same question. I feel like I am a little thicker in the middle on the days leading up to my period.

When we fast due to religious reasons we are not allowed to fast during periods . It is considered a sickness . So I am going to skip my fast on my period days and keep my calories around a 1000

Rari, many traditions are based on incorrect assumptions and in my view it is utterly pointless if not backward to practice things for the reasons “thats the way its always been”. In this day and age we all know that menstruation is not a sickness though you may indeed feel a little or a lot off on those days. There is no need to increase your calories to compensate if you feel fine and more than there is no reason for yoga practitioners to avoid headstands. On the other hand, if you don’t cope well with it, eat more and feel better.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply.