Pain where old injuries once occurred…

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Pain where old injuries once occurred…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Joe Weinstein 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anyone else had this?

I have one re-occuring area, my hamstring will get a dull ache on fast days. I pulled it really bad about 5 years ago now and gave it a 12 cm tear (very painful) playing football. I got over it and the hammy hasn’t given me a problem since really.

But on a fast day it growls a bit whilst sitting about working at my desk etc, and normal days it’s fine. Would like to know if the fasting triggers it ? I think I read somewhere before about this phenomenon but not sure?

It’s not so bothersome that I would stop the 5:2 but it’s noticeable….

Can’t say I have anything similar. 12 cm tho… *shudder*
    I injured a tendon in my groin a few years back and I sometimes still feel it, but with me it doesn’t have anything to do with fasting.

I have bin on the 5:2 fast day for about 3 months. I have lost about 12 lbs. At a recent physical exam, my doctor was glad to see my weight loss and improved blood pressure, though he pooh pooed the ideas behind the Fast Diet. However, anything that I could stick to and even enjoy that restricted calories and lead to weight loss was okay with him. However, I am responding to your post because in the same period of time since I started the 5:2, I have begun to experience pain in my upper arms that my physician identified as rotator cuff. I just turned 6o years of age, my work of 30 years involves heavy lifting. Reading about tendonitis vs. tendonosis I suspect I really have the latter condition. Therefore the anti-inflammatory drugs my Dr. has prescribed might not be the best approach. I presume that the benefits of the 5:2 will far out weigh any side effects or draw backs; but your post made me wonder if any aspect of this diet could be effecting the health of my tendons? Have you reached any conclusions in your case?

Hi Joe,
    Just reading your post and wonder if there it has anything to do with less padding now that there is 12lb less of you?

Yes, I have wondered along those lines as well. Years ago, during a stressful time, a divorce, I lost way too much weight. I was somewhere in the 160 lbs range; at 6’1 1/4′, I was somewhat anorexic for sure. I felt it in my arms. A relative saw just my arm sticking out of a car door and noticed my extreme weight loss. So, I am going to try a light wight lifting and swimming regimine at the gym to see if it will help. Now at 60, I am barely 6′ inches tall. I guess as we shrink and loose weight, all sorts of things will have to shift around and need attention. I love my work, fountain art, giving it up is not an option at this point in life. I will have to think how to do my work more ergonomically, to reduce stress. Thanks for the input!

Hi Joe, I have been on the 5:2 for some months now and my weight loss yo-yos between 16 and 23 lbs. Some 40 plus years ago I was seriously assaulted and had to have 13 stitches around the thumb on my right hand. Five yrs ago I started to get constant pain in that area. 6 months of the 5:2 and the pain has gone. A bit of a co-incidence but I believe that the lifestyle is responsible. We are all different so I cannot say that the diet is a cause of the pain you experience.
    Good luck.

@ Joe Weinstein
    “at 6’1 1/4′, .. Now at 60, I am barely 6′ inches tall. I guess as we shrink ”

I know that happens.

I’ve maintained my height and I believe it’s a function of maintaining a good posture and strengthening.

I also do upside down sit-ups to stretch my spine.

I’d like to know about this?

Guess I forgot to mention a slip and fall, compression fracture of T5 and T6, about 6 years ago; I lost some of my height that way. I am committed to sticking to this new diet. It suits me. Probably the pain in my shoulders is a coincidence, might have happened even if I hadn’t started the diet. I will try to continue to eat healthy food on my feed days as well as making sure my 600 cal. are top notch. Just have to deal with the rest as it comes. Taking positive action gives me peace of mind, easier to deal with the unavoidable aging issues when I know I am doing my best!

Couscous: As I replied to Rockyromero, I am willing to stick to the diet, for all the obvious benefits. Most likely would have had the shoulder pain regardless of the diet, who knows. Just another thing to deal with as best I can. That assault must have been awful to deal with; why do people have to be unkind, worse: violent.
    Take care, thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.