Overnight Oats?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hi

Completely new to this and haven’t finished the book yet but keen to get going! I plan on starting a fast tomorrow and wondered if overnight oats might be the way to go? Does anyone have any good recipes? I have the below one but don’t know if its too many calories to blow in one go (about 237?)
    30g oats
    1 grated apple
    3/4 tbsp of fat free natural yoghurt
    1 tsp agave nectar

I have almond milk, could I substitute that instead?

Also how many calories for a splash of milk in tea?

Thank you!

Hello Quitelittlenell,
    Welcome here!

When I began 5:2 (July 2015) I had porridge in the morning and soup in the evening. It worked well, except that I also have lots of cuppas and a splash of milk in most of them! I think the milk took me over the 500cals because over a day it added up to at least half a cup.

Mind you, the fast days still worked! Felt hungry in the afternoons and fantastic the following morning and my clothes started getting looser!

Anyway, re your questions:

According to 5:2 basics you can eat whatever you want, just keep it below 500 cals

Overnight oats are a nutritious and delicious breakfast and the complex carbohydrates help keep hunger pangs away. Some people find it is best to avoid breakfast on 5:2. Some people find it is best to avoid all carbohydrates, even the complex ones that have resistant starch. You will have to try and see how it works for you!
    I don’t have any recipes, sorry, but yours sounds delicious. You could definitely substitute almond milk.

Re milk I found this http://ratetea.com/topic/calories-in-tea/91/
    “Milk adds calories and nutrients
    Milk or cream can be a big contributor to the calories in tea. These calories come from both sugars (like lactose, naturally occurring in dairy products) and fat in non-skim milk. One fluid ounce of whole milk (which is a lot more than most people put in their tea) has only 18 calories, 9 of which are from fat. Half-and-half has 39 calories per fluid ounce, 30 of which are from fat. Skim milk has 10 calories per fluid ounce, none of which is from fat.”

A cup of full cream milk is about 159 calories, and that is what I have, so I call it 100 calories for the half a cup or so I have in my cuppas on a fast day!

Best Wishes and Good luck!

Fantastic info thank you! Yes I’m going to try breakfast and see if it helps or hinders! Very excited to get started, thanks so much for replying!

Hi nell,

Im a little bit more hard core than most but that oat recipe is just a big sugar fix. A “natural” yogurt that has had the fat removed. So whats left? Sugar. Read the label, so what does it contain? Agave has a high level of fructose in it but no fibre!! Not good. Fructose must be sent to the liver and stored as fat. It can not be utilised by the body as fuel directly. The oats will be turned into maltose in your mouth and then glucose minutes after entering your stomach. Not good. Try it but I don’t think it will help. Lots of better ways to start the day and feel fuller for longer.

The apple is good. While it has fructose it is wrapped in fibre so no problems there. Why not go for a high fat low sugar natural yogurt. Some almonds, and strawberries. That will keep you going till midday.

I’m kind of with bigbooty on this. If you are going to eat on a fast day it would be better to avoid sugar. (I normally don’t eat on fast days or if I do try to keep my calories under 30.)

Anyway I love oatmeal in the morning on non-fast days. However I now only sweeten with fruit. I use raisins, banana and prunes because I like them even though those are pretty high in sugar. In fact on many days that is all the fructose I get. However I do allow myself to have up to 20g of refined sugar besides the fruit.

When I was a kid, way back when the low fat craze started I used to melt butter into my cream of wheat with cinnamon and some sugar. I used to sneak extra butter because I really liked it. For years I worried the my youthful tastes put me on a road for future heart disease. Now I know it was better to use more butter than sugar!

So if you are going to eat while fasting … I would go heavy on the fat and maybe some protein. See if you can avoid carbs and sugar. However if you are going to have some carbs, oatmeal is a pretty good one. It also isn’t that bad unsweetened. Fats and protein are slower to digest and will have less impact on your insulin levels, making it easier for you body to access your fat stores.

Hi I have overnight oats a lot. I mix the oats with frozen berries and fat free quark. Yummy. You can vary the flavour with different fruits.

I love overnight oats- I find it’s more than sweet enough with the apple, so don’t add any other sweetener. That said, I don’t eat it on FDs as I find I can manage okay without breakfast and save the calories for later! I like to make it on my FD to have for breakfast the next day, to look forward to.

Sorry forgot to give the values:

30g fat free quark = 20 cals
    30g Porridge Oats = 114 cals
    80g Sainsburys Frozen Strawberries & Blueberries = 34

Total 178 cals

Here’s how I do oatmeal/porridge for a Fast Breakfast.
    Oatmeal Pudding 301 cal 3 g fat 3 g fiber 15 g protein 16.3 g carb 198.6 mg Calcium GF PB A riff on a recipe found in Marion Cunningham’s Breakfast Book, this can easily be prepared the night before.
    NB: THIS MAKES ENOUGH FOR TWO [2] SERVINGS
    1/2 cup rolled oats, cooked in 1 cup water 2 tsp maple syrup ½ cup fatfree cottage cheese pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon 4 Tbsp. blueberries [fresh or frozen] 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or natural apple cider blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water
    Cook the oatmeal in the water. Take off the heat and stir in the maple syrup and nutmeg. While it is still a little warm, stir in the cottage cheese. Let sit to cool. HINT: I did this part the night before while cleaning up after dinner. If making one portion, pour half of the pudding into a freezer container and top with 2 Tbsp blueberries. Freeze it. HINT: make the entire batch, eat half of it today and freeze the rest for a really simple-to-prepare breakfast for another day. With the remainder, stir in 2 Tbsp blueberries and pour the pudding into a ramekin. Nuke it for a minute to heat through – longer than that and it will bubble over. Serve with the fruit smoothie, and hot beverage for a hearty, healthy meal.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.