October Challenge (Adaline's ver.)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
October Challenge (Adaline's ver.)

This topic contains 221 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Adaline 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 222 total)

• Day 3 | FD (waterfast maybe…)

So, as I said, still trying to figure out the terminology on the forum, but I think I can maybe count yesterday as a waterfast.

I fasted from 8pm Sunday to 10am Tuesday = 38 hours and on Monday I only had 3.2 litres of water and two cups of broth. Does this count as waterfast or did the broth make it a regular fast day, if one with only abiut 60 cals?

Hi Tanja.

Quote: “still trying to get my head around all the different ways people fast. So wondering, why 1000 cals in 28 hours in a fast day?”

Violet is practicing intermittent fasting (IF), not 5:2.

If you are wondering why mark as FD something that is IF and over 500 calories, the answer is because I’m trying to see it as a progress scale for every individual person.

Ex: let’s compare you (5:2, no IF), Violet (IF 18/6) and me (OMAD = one single meal a day).

For you (5:2) NFD is something standard, normal. For Violet NFD is “not ok” (because she wants the fasting benefits). For me, NFD is “very bad”, because that usually means 3 large meals, automatically overeating very much and sometimes binge.

For you IF (2-3 meals in an 4-8 hours eating window) is progress. For Violet IF is standard, normal (when eating at TDEE). For me, IF is “not ok”, because 2 large meals = eating over my TDEE.
    And to differentiate progress between standard-IF (at TDEE) and IF with a large caloric deficit, I choose to mark it as FD instead as standard-IF.

For you, more FD is progress. But for me FD = OMAD = one single meal a day (over 1.000 calories), is (I wish to be) standard, normal.

Progress may be 2 kinds:
    – more fasting (like me: fasting 23 hours / day, eating one single meal of 1.000+ calories)
    – more caloric deficit (like Monabee: daily 800 calories in 6 hours window)
    Both situations are achievements for that person, and both marked FD, to indicate progress compared with “normal / standard”, which you see that is different for every person.

Correct. Liquids-only fasts count as WF. Is progress compared with your standard FD 5:2.

Is this progress-logic of mine ok for you?

Is wrong to compare your (5:2) pattern with someone’s from OMAD or IF category (that’s the reason for 3 sections of the table). Because, ex, I eating OMAD for the rest of the month, I will have 95% FD, and you with 5:2, only 40% FD. But your weight loss may be higher than mine, because I eat very much in that 1 hour eating window. So don’t make such comparations. Just compare your FD goal with your FD practice.

Day 4 closed. IF 23/1.

hello Adaline

I was no net …

04 – fasting 22/2

800 cal

Thank you Adaline for sure a well explained answer. I really want to understand people’s different approaches to fasting and your examples have helped a lot 🙂

Day 4= FD

I agree- Thank you Adaline- for not only the answer but accommodating to the differences we see here in this challenge. It is very interesting and encouraging! It will really be interesting if we all reach our goals to see how we all do. There likely is no “one size fits all” way to lose weight. I know for sure that I would not be having the success I am so far without being in the challenge this week.

@tanja: Anytime. 🌷

@monabee: Thank you for your message. 🌷
    For me is also very interesting to follow such different strategies. And very motivational too!

Removed after 3 consecutive missing reports: HannahWatto, Maui, Rocy65.

Day 5 – IF 22/2.

I’m interested in joining – is it too late?
    thanks
    Marc.

Welcome Marc. Please write your starting weight and a few details about your fasting pattern. And if you’ve read the rules of the challenge, good luck!

thanks Adaline!
    I weigh 95.5 Kilos, at my highest I was 108 kilos. My goal is 84 Kilos.

I currently fast 1 day a week – usually Sunday or Monday for 24 hours. I have water and black coffee (only no calories.)

reading through the directions now to make sure I’m clear.
    all the best,
    Mark

Ok. I’ve updated the table with your name. I’ve marked last Sunday (or I can change it, if not) as a fast day (FD), and the rest as NFD.
    http://dailyfastingweightloss.blogspot.com/2016/09/fasting-challenge-oct-2016.html

Maybe you’ll find challenging trying intermittent fasting in non-fast days.

If you have any question regarding the rules, do not hesitate to ask.

Day 4 | NFD

Day 3’s waterfast really messed me up and all that sodium in the broth has had bad effects on me. I woke up Tuesday morning bloated and could feel water being retained everywhere. Also, everything hurt and exercising was no fun at all!

Food wise it was not a good day. I try not to beat myself up about what I eat on NFDs but day 4 was really rather bad 😧

On a happy note, welcome Marc 😊

Day 5, NFD

Went great until about 10am and then it was downhill from there.

I hope the group would not mind another straggler. Would love the accountability.

I weigh 83.9 kilos
    Today is my first fast day (this round) and intend to stick to 500 calories every Monday and Wednesday. I will eat at 200 below my TDEE every other day.

I have read the rules and if accepted into the challenge will post my update tonight. Thanks!

Day 5= FD 22/2

Hang in there Violet! tomorrow is another day! I was easily able to extend my fasting time today. Thankful for that. I am travelling for work and this is usually my rough time, however I planned for 1 large meal today, rather than my usual 2 and it worked. I also planned some pm activities to keep me busy- that worked too….and of course our little accountability group here helped also:)

@willworkforhealth

Welcome! Hope that short name Will is ok for you. 🙂 (Or you can choose another one.)
    I’ve filled your data with NFD for the Days 1-4 (if I understood correct that this Monday was not FD), and FD for Day 5.

Good luck!

Yes.. hard day yesterday for me also. Struggled VERY MUCH not to binge. My conclusion is that trying to eat OMAD every day is very stressful for my body, not being yet very good fat-adapted. And because I know that keto does not suits me (also triggers binge episodes after 1-2 weeks, due to frustrations), is best (at least at this time) to renounce at OMAD, and eat 2 meals in a 4 hours window, but reduce the portions, compared with my current intake at a OMAD-meal. Total intake hope to be around 1.300 cal.

I’m thinking now also at this big-breakfast study https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/daily-20-23-hours-fasting-window/#post-169505 and the next weeks I will test various strategies and see which is less stressful for me and with better long term adherence.

Rule update for intermittent fasters with 4-8 hours eating window:
    – IF + under 1.000 = FD
    – IF + over 1.000 = IF

“Will” works just fine! Thanks

Day 5 = FD

I thought for sure I would blow it in the evening since that’s usually when i binge but much to my surprise my hunger disappeared while I was busy doing dishes and feeding and caring for my daughter. I had my last meal later than planned and I wasn’t hungry going to bed. However instead of eating at my lunch break I spent money shopping. Will have to keep an eye on that!

Day 6. NFD

Did 16/8 but then out to lunch and again out to dinner….oh boy! Even though I made fairly wise food choices and drank water there would have been a hell of a lot of calories consumed!
    I think the kitchen may stay closed on Friday!

Welcome Will and Marc.

Thanks Monabee You are so right it’s not one size fits all. You have done marvellous to stay in control while travelling, good on you.

HealthyTanja isn’t it a pain when you make a great effort only to awake feeling sheeeety! I seem to be all over the place this week and unable to get into any sort of a rhythm.

Adaline thanks so much for your incredible effort in tracking our individual journeys. I do appreciate it and I’m quite sure I’m frustrating the hell out of you……if it’s any comfort I’m frustrating me too!
    I suppose you will have to experiment to see what suits you best Adaline and what’s sustainable long term.
    I read Jason Fungs book and watched a few of his YouTubes, he talks about mixing it up so your body doesn’t adapt.

Good luck and may we all be happy losers. Xx

Hi Fast Friends.
    Thanks for the welcome Violet!

Kept my meals healthy on day 5 NFD- 90% fruits and veggies and came in at 1750 calories.
    Today day 6 is a water fast day. WFD- nikeytime= just do it.
    Good resolve to all and welcome Will.
    Marc

@violet: 🙂 Hey! Not frustrating at all! I just put a letter in a box. 🙂

Yes.. I am thinking at this “adaptation” and for the moment I will work only with caloric cycling (+/- 500 calories, over and under my TDEE, depending on my hunger). And in low-stress periods, I will try more fasting.

I’m not closing yet Day 6, because usually in the evening I’m going “crazy”. I’ve resisted the last days, but after yesterday.. all bets are off.

@mark

🙂 We do not have the WFD code. You said that maximum water fast for you is 24 hours (that means that you are eating something every calendar day). So FD code.

If you have more than 36 hours of water fast (that means a calendar day with only liquids, no food at all), is WF code.

@all

Please note: when you say “today WILL BE ….” I will NOT mark it in the file (like Mark said “Today day 6 is a water fast day. WFD- nikeytime= just do it”), because I wait for the confirmation in the next day. Thanks!

Day 6 = IF 20/4. Under TDEE I hope.

Day 6= IF

Today was a planned feast day 🙂 I had an 18/6 fast, and a nice dinner out with my husband. Double the calories I normally eat- 1627 in total today. And way more carbs. My TDEE is 2232- so it is really going to be interesting to see how my weight results this week. My fear of having somewhat of a feast day- is to get back on track tomorrow. However, I planned for this, I do not feel guilty so I think that is huge towards success with this.

Day 7 WF

At 7pm this evening I’ve completed a 24 hour liquid only fast, I’ll keep going until sometime tomorrow…may the scales be nice in the morning!!

Wishing you all a great successful weekend. VP

Day 6= NFD

Thanks for the warm welcome! Broke my fast at lunch and I for once did not finish my plate. Also it inexplicably tasted 10 times better than usual. I tend to have a sugar craving crisis directly after every meal. I did again after lunch and dinner and I indulged in sensible choices. Not going overboard with dessert was the most difficult part of the day but I managed to come in 100 calories under my goal.

Day 7 = IF 20/4, under TDEE I hope. I feel way much better on this strategy.

Weight: 71.3. Lost 0.4, but I’ve started with some water weight. Next week will be more relevant.

Have a great weekend!

PS: Rule update: it is not mandatory posting in weekend days, but please update on Monday with all the previous days. Thanks!

yesterday (day 6) through to noon today was WF for 37 hours.
    thanks
    Marc

Day 7.
    Weigh Day. 77.9 kgs.

My scales were kind and agreeable this morning!

Day 5 | NFD

Day 6 | NFD

The last few days were an absolute mess. I’m really upset about the poor choices I make for myself, the poisonous rubbish I put inside myself and the lazy bugger I become the more sugar I shovel in. Grateful that today was a successful FD but freaking out about tomorrow 🙁

@healthytanja I am in the same boat!

I deliberately ate more sugar than I should in a week today! I had so many chances to make a better choice. NFDs are harder for sure. Next time I’m about to do the same, I’m going to come here and hopefully someone will talk me off the ledge. If I’m online I will return the favor!

Day 7= FD

Way to go Adaline and Violet. Hang in there Healthy Tanya and Will WorkFor Health. There are many more days left this month to get in the swing of things.

I had a 22/2 fast day and this worked well for me today. Also made my exercise goals this week of HITT and strength training x 3 days this week. It will be interesting to see what the scale says in the am. Regardless of what it says though….I feel so much healthier this week than I have in a long time.

If you don’t mind saying my opinion: when some diet pattern is too stressful (and leads to overeating and binge / with junk but may also be with healthy foods) because the body is not yet adapted, try to think a transition plan. What I would do as a transition to 5:2:

1. First, adapt my body to daily intermittent fasting. Max 3 meals/day in max 8 hours window. Optimum 2 meals/day in 4 hours window. This adaptation may take a few weeks / months, depending on your starting point. On this period you can lose weight by cycling calories, 300-500 calories under your TDEE (most days) and over TDEE (when your body asks for more food – real hunger).

2. Incorporate more fasting. No need to go directly to 5:2. Think “progress, not perfection”. If you normally eat 3 meals at TDEE in 8 hours window, try 3 days a week to eat only 2 meals of max 1.200 calories, in 4 hours window. If you normally eat 2 meals at TDEE, in 4 hours window, try 3 days a week to eat only 1 meal of max 1.000 calories.

3. Lower your calories in fast days. If you normally eat 1 meal of 1.000 calories, try 500. Or if you eat 2 meals (in 4 hours window) at TDEE 6 days a week, try a water-only fast (or juice fast) for only 1 day/week. After your body adapts, try WF for 2 days a week.

This transition may take months, depending on your starting point and your dieting history. This “from zero to hero” rarely works, especially for women. If you start after years of yo-yo dieting, from 5-6 meals a day, in 12 hours window, sugar burner (not fat adapted) and try overnight to eat weekly after 5:2 pattern, the fast days with 1 meal – 500 calories are very stressful for the body, and this may cause overeating in NFD days. And at the end of the week, no weight loss and even gain.

And you do not need to get mandatory to 5:2 with water fast. If daily intermittent fasting 20/4, 2 meals, caloric cycling, works great, stick with that. Add more only at plateaus. Think “step by step”, from where you are now in terms of your abilities to water-fast, and where you want to be. This is my plan for me, after trying to eat OMAD (one meal a day) for almost 2 months, and feeling that my binge eating disorder gets worse.

Again, hope you don’t mind me saying my opinion.

☕🌞

I agree with Adaline, great advice. Over planning and putting expectations on yourself causes angst and makes the journey hard. Sometimes it just takes a while to find your groove. Some days nothing clicks and it’s all difficult….don’t stop trying. Sugar makes you crave more sugar…..wouldn’t it be good if we craved cabbage!
    Jason Fung has a few good youtubes that may help you Will and HealthyTanja.

Great work MonaBee, nothing better than feeling good and healthy!

VP

Dy 6 = NFD

I came in at my calorie goal. Not so happy about my nutritional choices. So much sugar!

Adaline and Violet thanks the thoughtful tips. In my case it’s not so much a physical craving I battle but an emotional one. I see how well I’m doing and I want to “treat” myself ironically with something terrible for me. A side effect of a calorie based diet plan.

I think I need to think of the fast diet more in a health sense versus weight loss. And remember that primarily I’m doing this for health. The weight loss is a great side benefit.

Good to talk it out.

Yes, I also have more problems with emotional eating when I’m trying to “diet”. That’s why I needed to adapt my body to eating only 2 meals a day, because I overeat less than when I count calories (or carbs, or NFDs, or “something”) and binge because of dieting stress.

But everybody’s different and I hope you’ll find what works for you!

Will. As Monabee says it’s not one size fits all. I’m hearing you on the reward thing, I did a alcohol free challenge last year and it was hard not to have a celebratory drink because I didn’t have a drink for sooo long!
    I try to focus on my health more than just weight, I only weigh myself once a week as I’d do my head in and use up too much of my headspace if I weighed everyday. I try to concentrate on eating well. Some years ago a naturopath told me to only eat 2 – 3 times a day and never to eat snacks, that’s what I try to do and because I suffer reflux I rarely eat after 6 – 6.30pm. Now on saying all that sometimes I’m all over the place and go off the rails but I just keep trying. I agree it is good to yarn about it. VP

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/page/3/ Some good info. X

Day 8. FD 18/6

Kept liquid fasting until lunch time today, that was a total of 40 hours which makes today an 18/6.
    I found this fast fairly easy and I’m not sure if it was because I had eaten two bigger meals the day before or because I was super busy……or maybe it’s a bit of both. I ate lunch because I got really irritable all of a sudden and I find it’s best to eat food and not humans!

Cheers. VP

I’ll check out that link thanks. Yes, I didn’t mention I’ve been IF for years. Just inclined towards towards it before I discovered it had a name! I’m just not hungry before 12/1pm and nothing good is happening after 8pm.

I’m quite comfortable with hunger. It’s the “treat” feeling directly after a meal that gets me. Must reframe that sugar is not a treat but a literal poison!

Way to go on day 8 Violet! And on not eating a human. 😄

Day 8- very early in the morning here in Canada. I’ve lost 2kg! I am 91 kg this morning. Now my first weigh in at the beginning was after being on somewhat of a bad roll with food and drink- and definitely water is involved- but I am still very pleased. I have also lost 2 & 1/2 inches off my waist- which tells me there is defiantly something good happening to me. I hope I can share this and it be an encouragement and not a discouragement to you all. I know all about the failures and feeling the inability to do this. I/we need to think we can do it this time….I’ll be posting again later today as to how my FD went….

Awesome Monabee, that’s a huge encouragement, thanks for sharing.

Haha Will, now you have a name for something really healthy.

Have a good weekend folk. VP.

Day 7 | FD

Successful day, 424 cals. Still felt full and constipated but at least I managed to fast 🙂

NFD today. Thanks.

Day 8= FD

16/8 for me today, but during a different window of time than usual- from 0800 am to 400 pm. Works out fine for the weekends and I can remain on track :)I was open to eating more calories than usual today- but really did not want too…I was satisfied with 800.

HealthyTanja- constipation is terrible! I had that on a small scale when starting to fast and something which has helped is regularly taking a good fibre supplement once or twice a day, and lots and lots of water intake. These also help with fullness also. Just a thought as to something which may help.

Day 9, 18/6 IF

Think I’ve got it right Adeline…..an 18 hour fast with over 1000 cals in the 6 = IF?

HealthyTanja, nothing worse than constipation, it leaves you feeling awful.

Good work there Monabee, it nice when you reach satisfaction on lesser calories!

Good luck to everyone. VP

Day 8 | NFD

Was tempted to fast today too but then decided not to. Fasted from 6pm day 7 to 2pm day 8, which felt good. It is true, sugar cravings go right down once your body has used up all the sugar inside of you and is burning fat.

I will therefore give 16/8 a go. Being hopeful that it will help me make better food choices on NFDs.

Going back to atelier school on Monday and will have a strict routine for 10 weeks (finally). Lunch break is at 12.30pm, so planning to make that my first meal of the day. Not eating all morning would have previously terrified me completely but now I think I have a real shot at making it work….Hoping for more concentration in the mornings and being more awake in the afternoons. Fingers crossed!

Thank you for all your kind replies after my last depressing post. I’m grateful for this forum and this challenge!

@willworkforhealth thank you for your respond. I’m sorry you’re in the same emotional eating boat, but it’s nice to know I’m not alone.

@adaline thank you for your in depth adive. There is much truth in giving the body time to adjust. I will still keep my FDs but combine them with 16:8. I just really like fasting 🙂

@violetp thank you for the link and recommending the youtube videos. I’ll look into both.

@monabee well done on your process! Thank you for the fiber tip. I’ll look into getting some supplements.

Happy going everyone <3

Day 8 = NFD

Ate a tiny a bit over TDEE but not bad considering it was a day of social commitments. I miss fasting so am glad tomorrow is a fasting day. Will make sure to get plenty of healthful nutrients in today in preparation.

Way to go Monabee! Very inspiring.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 222 total)

You must be logged in to reply.