Not working

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mike florida 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• I’ve been trying this for a month and there is no change in anything. I am ok at eating less so the fast days are not the issue. I’m not craving foods which is usually the thing with dieting. I am exercising 4 times a week.
    I just don’t get it…..

Do you log your food?
    I am generally not a food-logger but it might be a good idea to log every day for a few weeks, just to see what you are eating and where you can improve things.
    Getting rid of cravings is a positive sign because these cravings can cause you to eat huge amounts of calories without control.

Also: did you take measurements? Some people do not lose weight but lose inches. In particular if you have recently started to exercise you might be changing your body composition which can mask fat loss. IF is not all about weight loss, there is nore to it even if the weight loss lacks or stalls.

I do log my food and exercise so my TDEE and BMR and fasting is covered. The exercise isn’t converting to muscle that quick to change the body composition. Inches are not changing.
    This is not working for me and I don’t know why….

I did go through a period where I changed absolutely nothing about my eating habits but I suddenly regained 8 lbs and kept it on for 2 months before the weight löss continued. Did you log your calories before your started as well?

I mean, weight löss wise, this diet works in the same way as a regular restrictive diet so eventually you should be losing weight. It’s only the other health benefits that make the difference.

Yes I tracked and logged foods and exercise before the 5-2. So I see zero difference or benefit to this programme. I wondered if I was doing something wrong but seems not. Thanks for the feedback though. Appreciated

And is your weekly intake of calories less now than it was before? I’ve seen a lot of people taking more time to kick off their weight loss, so I’m not sure a month is enough for you to say it just isn’t working. But obviously, it’s not going to be for everyone. And I very much understand the frustration of putting in the effort and not seeing any reseults (we’ve all been there).

Are you sure you’re logging everything you eat, because I had a friend who logged all her calories, or so she thought, but it turned out she was somehow dramatically underestimating the amount of food she actually was putting in her mouth until she started weighing her food. She was only logging half of what she was eating. Which seems to be a very common problem.

I completely understand if you feel it isn’t worth the hassle but it would be a shame if you gave up and you just end up gaining weight instead of losing it. I always think: when I’m not losing, at least I’m not gaining.

Do you have a lot of weight to drop? Because people who don’t need to lose a significant amount of weight tend to lose it a lot more slowly.

Hi – I am pretty accurate. I’m not a secret eater honest! I only want to drop half a stone so realise it will take time but nothing is happening after a month….. hence despondent. Thanks

Hi Elliott

As you are not underestimating your calorie intake, perhaps you are overestimating your calorie expenditure? If it is not a case of gaining muscle, losing fat, then this simply does not add up. The TDEE/BMR is a rough guide but each person is very different, if you are intaking less calories than your body requires you WILL lose weight. So my recommendation would be to cut your non-fast day calories.

Good luck!

Hi Elliot, I started the fast diet on April 17. I agree with you that 5:2 alone without making additional changes may not work for everybody. But hear this it may help you. First weight yourself after the last fast day of the week in the morning. Second during this process, I added some exercise at least 2 times a week (biking) and whenever possible another fast day. 17 April/ May was mostly 5:2, June was entirely 4:3 July was mostly 5:2. 16th week was 4:3.
    As I said I usually weight myself after a fast day in the morning. my first measurement was after the second fast day in April (week 1).
    April 21: 199 pounds
    August 7: 174 pounds
    25 pounds in 16 weeks : 1.56 pounds per week average.
    Goal: 165 to 160 pounds (I am getting close)
    To me it works only if I add exercise and another fasting day when possible as I have a tendency to not eat “normally” sometimes.
    Try this as counting calories when you are not fasting may be too similar to other diets so why bothering. Cheers and be persistent

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.