non fast days " what is a normal diet?"

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
non fast days " what is a normal diet?"

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Skryfster 10 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Hi all.
    I have been on a 5:2 since 7th Jan and have lost weight, average of 1-1.5lb a week. 🙂 I have probably achieved this as I feel guilty if I eat what I would normally have on non fast days and so slip into semi diet mode. I would normally love of a glass of wine with a decent meal (home made steak & kidney pudding, mash & nice claret etc!). I have no problem with fast days but would like some advice other than “eat normally” on non fast days. Can anyone share their views?

Non fast days you should eat what you like – in moderation. That dinner sounds great 🙂 go for it.
    Eating normally should be good healthy eating – so polishing off a big bag of chips or a whole family block of chocolate isn’t a good idea – something that we all intuitively know. The idea of this way of eating is that you don’t have to count calories every day and be in constant self denial.
    I’m a big fan of bacon, egg, sausage, baked beans, & grilled tomato for a w/e breakfast – I eat and enjoy without guilt and I am still losing weight.
    That’s my take on normal eating.

Hi cambsfaster, I agree with ghostgirl but would add a couple of suggestions. Regards Plate size, ditch the large Dinner plates we all have and use the next size down. Your meat portion size should be about the size of your palm. No dont ask how thick your meat should be, I do not know, use common sense. Have a glass of water BEFORE your meal. Helps to give you a fuller feeling. Lots of veg with your steak and kidney pud…. my juices are flowing thinking about it. Your “Full Monty” breakfast?. One of each, sausage, bacon, grilled if possible, egg-poached if you like. By the way, just a useless bit of info. Some research has gone into how the colour of plates can affect your feeling of fullness when eating less. You could research that if you are interested. Oh enjoy your wine.
    P.S. Can I come over for the Steak and Kidney?.
    Good Luck.

Dear ghostgirl & couscous,thanks for you replies. Both very helpful. Ghostgirl you have reassured me with my choices. Couscous,love the palm,plate & colour things as have seen some research papers on these. Next stop new tableware! Thanks to you both, all the best. cf
    PS, happy to cook meals for anyone but need to meet in Barbados so please send tickets for flights! 😀

@cambsfaster on non fast days eat WHAT you like but NOT HOW MUCH you like. Aim to eat between your BMR and your TDEE.

No reason not to have your steak and kidney just hold back a bit on the pastry. Use a smaller glass for the wine. Mash the potato with a tablespoon of plain yogurt instead of butter. Don’t have the steak and kidney with a high calorie starter or pudding.

As couscous says – full breakfast but just ONE piece each of grilled bacon and sausage with one poached or scrambled egg and grilled tomatoes and mushrooms. I put a couple of mushrooms in a covered dish in the microwave and they cook in their own juice..no need for oil.

I switched to a salad plate (approx 8 inches diameter) nearly a year ago which has helped to reduce the amount of food I eat. I can fill the plate and it looks like a huge helping but it isn’t. The plates I use are blue! It has been found that if we use plates that contrast with the food colour we are more aware of portion sizes and put less food on them. Don’t take my word for this http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/pdf/newsletters/MindlessNewsletwinterbig.pdf

xx

I agree with everything above but I’d also say that now & again (every couple of weeks I find) you’ll want a special meal out or a takeaway or something. On those days I just fast until that meal & as long as it’s not likely to completely bust my TDEE I’m going to have a yummy main (with lots of pastry if it comes with it) and a desert (preferably something ridiculously chocolaty) and a couple of wines and don’t you try and stop me 😉

I agree Tracy …but that’s a ‘now and again’ thing. I was talking about ‘normal’ non fast days.

My ‘now and again’ – is a fish supper from our local chippie or if I’m out a lamb shank or some steak pie with mash followed by creme brulee with a glass or two of red to wash it down!! YUMMMM 😀
    Just make it a 16:8 or even a 20:4 and it’s fine 🙂

xx

What I do on non fast days is eat my TDEE which is 1889 cals. I eat just under this and still calculate my cals on non fast days and keep a diary. I log all my food and cals using my fitness pal app whilst following the 5:2. I’ve reached my goal weight now and just fast on a monday and weigh myself every tuesday morning. I have a treat once a week which is either a few alcoholic drinks on a Saturday night or a take away and it doesn’t affect my weight one bit.

I have lost over 2 stone since last September and am 2lbs off my goal weight and feel fantastic. I am quite short so my fast day calories are 440. On my non-fast days I stick to about 1200 calories if I’m staying in but when I go out I eat and drink whatever I want. This has worked for me as I do not feel deprived in any way. On a fast day I know I can eat more the next day and if Im going out I can join in with everyone else. I have had a weight problem all my life but now I feel completely normal if I eat a bit more I cut back the next day or have a fast day, which I have come to enjoy! It used to always be feast or famine with me, I was very good at losing weight and diets but once I stopped all the weight came back on. This is certainly not a diet and certainly a lifestyle choice woe.

Many thanks for your suggestion sylvestra. I have been pretty much having a free for all on feast days and not losing. Of course I have been eating to much.

Your reminder to have WHAT you like but not HOW much you like just clicked the light bulb on in my head.

Wow, sheilahood! That is great, and I do the same.
    I fast with 500 calories two days, and eat 1200 calories the five other days!
    It works great!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.